Quantcast

About an idea for a small radar program for Bridge command

About an idea for a small radar program for Bridge command

Johan Andersson
Send this to freedos mailing lists again. Alredy sent to [hidden email] that has recived and to [hidden email] that refused but that's OK I think to reach freedos-devel more relevant in this case.

Hello FreeDOS and gNewSense users as well as developers. I'm asking about your opinion!
Radar display and interface program for Bridge Command via network.
Is it easily done to program a small program that works well in boht FreeDos and dosbox alike?

I think this is a good idea. Will network interface function well?

Bridge command is a ship simulator. Open Source program. For exempel Bridge Command 4.7 has a radar mode, that but as a small program.

https://www.bridgecommand.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1073.0.html

Radar interface program to Bridge Command

I'm thinking that a small radar program that connects to Bridge command is a grate idea. Like the radar mode in Bridge command 4 but as it own program.

For example such small program run on a computer that runs FreeDos is a great idea. Please let me explain why:

Like embedded system

mouse or even better trackball for good user interface

control via keyboard

Use computers that are to old to upgrade.

Full screen radar simulation whit out need for expensive equipment

Build your own radar simulation part to a bridge command based simulator set

or just use an old computer that

If it runs in FreeDos this type of program will probably run in dosbox as well

porting easily done just use dosbox on a verity of other systems...

GNU GPL licensed of course!

This is just a start of a presentation of these idea!

Re: About an idea for a small radar program for Bridge command

Jim Hall-2
I think what you are proposing is a program that only displays the radar function in the Bridge Command simulator. Looking at the website, Bridge Command is a maritime ship simulator (i.e. not a spaceship simulator like Artemis).

The Bridge Command website has a few interesting photos of the simulator in action, including this one:

The laptop on the left edge of the photo is showing just the radar function. (You can see the radar also displayed as part of the three-laptop "panoramic" view.)

If I understand your email correct, you want to write a dedicated Bridge Command radar program that runs on FreeDOS.

>>"​Will network interface function well?"

I think your program is a good idea, and you should do it. Note that you'll need to load a network stack separately to support this radar program; FreeDOS does not have networking support built into the kernel. All DOS systems needs to load a network stack separately. But this certainly seems do-able.

>>"​Is it easily done to program a small program that works well in boht FreeDos and dosbox alike?"

FreeDOS is a full DOS system. You can run FreeDOS on a PC by itself, or you can boot FreeDOS in a PC emulator like QEMU or VirtualPC or VMWare or VirtualBox or Plex86 or any other PC emulator. DOSBox isn't a full DOS system, but it is a specialized PC emulator with a built-in DOS-like environment that runs DOS programs (usually games). DOSBox used to have issues with some DOS games/programs, but these days I understand it is much better. So I think the dedicated Bridge Command radar program you want to write should work well on both FreeDOS and DOSBox.

I haven't looked into DOSBox for myself, so I can't say if it emulates a network stack by itself, or if you have to load one on your own.

Good luck in writing your program!

Jim

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Johan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Send this to freedos mailing lists again. Alredy sent to [hidden email] that has recived and to [hidden email] that refused but that's OK I think to reach freedos-devel more relevant in this case.

Hello FreeDOS and gNewSense users as well as developers. I'm asking about your opinion!
Radar display and interface program for Bridge Command via network.
​​