Quantcast

Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.

The project homepage is:

http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/

Comments and criticism are welcome.

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Alain Mouette
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
Skinning at the moment can only be done by modifying code (skin.c). I left it out because I do not know the best method of providing a decent configuration file without adding allot of code bloat. FLTK has a preferences widget (Fl_Preferences), which is a candidate. XML, JSON formats are other things to consider. I really don't know the direction to take for it. Suggestions are welcome.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Jerome Shidel

On Feb 2, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Skinning at the moment can only be done by modifying code (skin.c). I left it out because I do not know the best method of providing a decent configuration file without adding allot of code bloat. FLTK has a preferences widget (Fl_Preferences), which is a candidate. XML, JSON formats are other things to consider. I really don't know the direction to take for it. Suggestions are welcome.

Simple INI format (or variant) is an option as well. Very little overhead to parse the file.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
INI has my upvote. Just not sure of how much scope I would include.

what if you want a class that can be used to read and write to it (maintaining comments and such)? Complexity is added. I can see code creep.

If it was read only it would be fairly simple and inexpensive. However, then other code would be scattered throughout to write out there own ini files.

XML is easy to read/write and is extensible. However, it has allot of bloat. And user editing is not as straight forward as INI.

After some reading, I dropped JSON as a potential format.

Thanks for the suggestion.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 2, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Skinning at the moment can only be done by modifying code (skin.c). I left it out because I do not know the best method of providing a decent configuration file without adding allot of code bloat. FLTK has a preferences widget (Fl_Preferences), which is a candidate. XML, JSON formats are other things to consider. I really don't know the direction to take for it. Suggestions are welcome.

Simple INI format (or variant) is an option as well. Very little overhead to parse the file.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Alain Mouette
I believe that changing a config file is just great for that! Avoinding bloat is important

At most, there could be 2 or 3 sets of parameters, not only that would help but it can also serve as aguide for creating a new one

Alain

On 02-02-2017 20:26, Mark Olesen wrote:
Skinning at the moment can only be done by modifying code (skin.c). I left it out because I do not know the best method of providing a decent configuration file without adding allot of code bloat. FLTK has a preferences widget (Fl_Preferences), which is a candidate. XML, JSON formats are other things to consider. I really don't know the direction to take for it. Suggestions are welcome.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
Your right about that. Thanks.

I am looking into building an INI library (public domain). It's tempting to just rip something off the shelf for this.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe that changing a config file is just great for that! Avoinding bloat is important

At most, there could be 2 or 3 sets of parameters, not only that would help but it can also serve as aguide for creating a new one

Alain

On 02-02-2017 20:26, Mark Olesen wrote:
Skinning at the moment can only be done by modifying code (skin.c). I left it out because I do not know the best method of providing a decent configuration file without adding allot of code bloat. FLTK has a preferences widget (Fl_Preferences), which is a candidate. XML, JSON formats are other things to consider. I really don't know the direction to take for it. Suggestions are welcome.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like that :)

Just one question: can default collors be configured? I would like something like "dialog" in Linux which has a gray background...

:)
Alain

On 01-02-2017 21:49, Mark Olesen wrote:
Hello,

I liked and made the changes you had pointed out.  Thanks for the input.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FDOSTUI is a C++ library for creating text interfaces.
>
> The project homepage is:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/
>
> Comments and criticism are welcome.

Disclaimer: due to lack of C++ expertise, I may not do much with this.
Nevertheless, here's some comments anyways (BTW, nice work so far):

* Why bother with response file for simple uses of WLINK? Why not just
use, e.g. "wlink op stack=4096 ...", etc.?

* Compiling hello.cpp should normally output hello.exe, so explicitly
using "-fe=" is redundant.

* "-bt=DOS -l=DOS" is also redundant, use "-bcl" instead.

* "ncurses compiling" says you're using "cpp" (C preprocessor), which
can't be right. I assume "g++" here (or "gpp" for DJGPP).

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Jim Hall-2
Sounds cool!

I've tweeted your project from the FreeDOS Project twitter. Once
you've added the INI support, I'd be happy to mention it as a news
item on our front page to get more exposure.

Jim

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your right about that. Thanks.
>
> I am looking into building an INI library (public domain). It's tempting to
> just rip something off the shelf for this.
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that changing a config file is just great for that! Avoinding
>> bloat is important
>>
>> At most, there could be 2 or 3 sets of parameters, not only that would
>> help but it can also serve as aguide for creating a new one
>>
>> Alain

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
I appreciate that and will update via the forum when I have an INI/Config implementation. Thanks for the tweet.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds cool!

I've tweeted your project from the FreeDOS Project twitter. Once
you've added the INI support, I'd be happy to mention it as a news
item on our front page to get more exposure.

Jim

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Your right about that. Thanks.
>
> I am looking into building an INI library (public domain). It's tempting to
> just rip something off the shelf for this.
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Alain Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that changing a config file is just great for that! Avoinding
>> bloat is important
>>
>> At most, there could be 2 or 3 sets of parameters, not only that would
>> help but it can also serve as aguide for creating a new one
>>
>> Alain

Re: Announcing FDOSTUI

Mark Olesen
Hi Folks,

As suggested, I implemented an INI parser (read only):

http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/ini_8h.html

Following, themeing was fairly straight forward:

http://www.nongnu.org/fdostui/page_themeing.html

Thank you all for your previous suggestions. I look forward to your comments. Have a great day.

Regards,
Mark