Quantcast

Booting HP & Lenovo

Wayne Dernoncourt
I've been trying to get FreeDOS to boot an HP desktop & a Lenovo laptop.  The HP starts to boot the CD-ROM and the last message on the screen is Init disk and some periods.  How can I figure out what is wrong. Note that the same CD boots Dell & Gateway computers.

This clown speaks for himself

Re: Booting HP & Lenovo

Karen Lewellen
Just tossing out an idea.
Have you checked the configurations in the bios? By which i mean the
settings set there for all of your hardware?
Brand does not a uniform experience make largely because different
machines have different configurations if that makes sense.
Just wandering through,
Kare

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017, Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

> I've been trying to get FreeDOS to boot an HP desktop & a Lenovo laptop.  The HP starts to boot the CD-ROM and the last message on the screen is Init disk and some periods.  How can I figure out what is wrong. Note that the same CD boots Dell & Gateway computers.
>
> This clown speaks for himself

Re: Booting HP & Lenovo

Wayne Dernoncourt
Well, I'm not sure what BIOS settings are appropriate beyond booting from the CD/DVD.  I'll look at the settings tomorrow night.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Wayne Dernoncourt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been trying to get FreeDOS to boot an HP desktop & a Lenovo laptop.
> The HP starts to boot the CD-ROM and the last message on the screen is
> Init disk and some periods.  How can I figure out what is wrong. Note that
> the same CD boots Dell & Gateway computers.

If your various machines behave differently, then you may wish to try
the "Legacy" CD (.iso).

Apparently some machines have compatibility issues, so it's
recommended to try either "standard" (FD12CD.iso) and/or "legacy"
(FD12LGCY.iso) until something works (or old release or custom made or
floppy or ...).

Re: Booting HP & Lenovo

Gregg Eshelman
I have a couple of Lenovo T61 laptops that seem to be very picky about what they'll boot off a disc. The latest Hiren's, FalconFour, MS DaRT 5, ERD Commander - they are all based on Windows XP PE and they start to load and just stop. I also tried Ubuntu and Lubuntu. They get to a certain point and the laptops reset. Odd thing about that is the older one of the two came with XP. The newer one had Vista.

They will boot the BIOS update CD (but I need good batteries to actually flash the updates) and I installed Windows 10 on one.

Haven't tried booting a FreeDOS CD yet. I should try that just to see if they reject that OS too.