Quantcast

Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

geneb

I recently decided to build myself a nice a fast DOS machine to fiddle
with and installed FreeDOS 1.2.

I installed Borland Pascal 7 and tried to use it.  Nope. :(

When I run "bp" which is the protected mode compiler, I get this:

Unhandled exception 000E at 0020 A19E ErrCode 0002.

Google only dredged up decade+ issues that were never resolved.

I noticed that if I let it boot using the default boot option, bp would
fail, but not if I used "option 2".

Option 1 (the default) is:
Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free

Option 2 is:
Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded.

Is the default option known to cause issues with DPMI software like the
protected mode Borland Pascal compiler?

tnx.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/coll - Go Collimated or Go Home.
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

Eric Auer-3

Hi Geneb, about your Borland Pascal 7 Problem in FreeDOS 1.2:

> When I run "bp" which is the protected mode compiler, I get this:
>
> Unhandled exception 000E at 0020 A19E ErrCode 0002.

Looking at older FreeDOS-user discussions, people suggested
using HDPMI16 or DOS32A, for example in resident mode, to
work around issues with the protected mode enviroment used
by BP (and Jazz Jackrabbit). Another suggestion was to use
the HIMEMX /X2MAX32 option or the JEMMEX MAX=32000 MIN=32000
settings, so this could also be a problem caused by having
more than 16, 32 or 64 MB RAM available and / or visible,
which the old BP may not be used to...

> if I let it boot using the default boot option, bp would
> fail, but not if I used "option 2".
>
> Option 1 (the default) is:
> Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
>
> Option 2 is:
> Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded.

Well in that case, as things do work with EMM386 but not with
JEMMEX, the obvious solution is to use EMM386 for your PC :-)

Which version of HIMEM do you use in option 2 with EMM386? And
how well does BP work with only HIMEM/HIMEMX, without EMM386/
JEMMEX?

Note that JEMMEX combines HIMEM and EMM386 into a single DOS
driver, which keeps more RAM free but which is "more exotic".

Cheers, Eric

http://freedos.10956.n7.nabble.com/Unhandled-exception-000E-td22996.html
also mentions UIDE settings as a possible place for RAM tuning.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

Jerome Shidel
FYI, there is a typographical error with option 2. It says EMM386. But, it uses JEMM386.

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Geneb, about your Borland Pascal 7 Problem in FreeDOS 1.2:
>
>> When I run "bp" which is the protected mode compiler, I get this:
>>
>> Unhandled exception 000E at 0020 A19E ErrCode 0002.
>
> Looking at older FreeDOS-user discussions, people suggested
> using HDPMI16 or DOS32A, for example in resident mode, to
> work around issues with the protected mode enviroment used
> by BP (and Jazz Jackrabbit). Another suggestion was to use
> the HIMEMX /X2MAX32 option or the JEMMEX MAX=32000 MIN=32000
> settings, so this could also be a problem caused by having
> more than 16, 32 or 64 MB RAM available and / or visible,
> which the old BP may not be used to...
>
>> if I let it boot using the default boot option, bp would
>> fail, but not if I used "option 2".
>>
>> Option 1 (the default) is:
>> Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
>>
>> Option 2 is:
>> Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded.
>
> Well in that case, as things do work with EMM386 but not with
> JEMMEX, the obvious solution is to use EMM386 for your PC :-)
>
> Which version of HIMEM do you use in option 2 with EMM386? And
> how well does BP work with only HIMEM/HIMEMX, without EMM386/
> JEMMEX?
>
> Note that JEMMEX combines HIMEM and EMM386 into a single DOS
> driver, which keeps more RAM free but which is "more exotic".
>
> Cheers, Eric
>
> http://freedos.10956.n7.nabble.com/Unhandled-exception-000E-td22996.html
> also mentions UIDE settings as a possible place for RAM tuning.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Freedos-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

geneb
In reply to this post by Eric Auer-3
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017, Eric Auer wrote:

> Looking at older FreeDOS-user discussions, people suggested
> using HDPMI16 or DOS32A, for example in resident mode, to
> work around issues with the protected mode enviroment used
> by BP (and Jazz Jackrabbit). Another suggestion was to use
> the HIMEMX /X2MAX32 option or the JEMMEX MAX=32000 MIN=32000
> settings, so this could also be a problem caused by having
> more than 16, 32 or 64 MB RAM available and / or visible,
> which the old BP may not be used to...
>
I must have mis-read that - I didn't realize they had an issue with BP
itself...

>> Option 2 is:
>> Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded.
>
> Well in that case, as things do work with EMM386 but not with
> JEMMEX, the obvious solution is to use EMM386 for your PC :-)
>
Yep.  Oddly enough I had to use the "legacy" installer as the regular one
just went nuts when trying to boot on the AMD Duron based machine I'm
using.

> Which version of HIMEM do you use in option 2 with EMM386? And
> how well does BP work with only HIMEM/HIMEMX, without EMM386/
> JEMMEX?
>
Option 2 does this: (uppercase of course)
himemx.exe
jemm386.exe x=test i=test i=b000-b7ff novme noinvlpg


> Note that JEMMEX combines HIMEM and EMM386 into a single DOS
> driver, which keeps more RAM free but which is "more exotic".
>
Good to know.  Thanks Eric!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/coll - Go Collimated or Go Home.
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Borland Pascal unhandled exception...

geneb
In reply to this post by Jerome Shidel
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017, Jerome Shidel wrote:

> FYI, there is a typographical error with option 2. It says EMM386. But, it uses JEMM386.
>
Correct.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/coll - Go Collimated or Go Home.
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Loading...