Checking NUL directory/drive is broken in 2042

Checking NUL directory/drive is broken in 2042

Nando Eva
Was using FreeDOS 1.1 2040 kernel? previously and could check for drive or directory existence with the NUL device:

If exist c:\nul echo C: exists
If exist c:\mydir\nul echo C:\mydir exists

This behavior is broken with 2042, no longer being able to identify if a drive/dir exists anymore.

Can the devs please add the previous behaviour with NUL drive/directory identification?

Thank you

Re: Checking NUL directory/drive is broken in 2042

tom ehlert

Hi,

> Was using FreeDOS 1.1 2040 kernel? previously and could check for
> drive or directory existence with the NUL device:

> If exist c:\nul echo C: exists
> If exist c:\mydir\nul echo C:\mydir exists

> This behavior is broken with 2042, no longer being able to identify if a drive/dir exists anymore.

I tried to reproduce this here, and I think that it behaves exactly as
it should.

can you be more specific how it fails ?

Tom

Re: Checking NUL directory/drive is broken in 2042

Nando Eva
Tom, screenshots at http://imgur.com/a/h9x9c showing kernel 2042 always identifying e:\nul as present (attrib e:\nul or if exist e:\nul), even though it is not. Kernel 2041 correctly identifies it as not present.

A fix for this would be great so I can again check for drive/dir existence using the NUL filename.

Thank you,
Nando

Hi,