Quantcast

EtherDFS - a network drive for DOS

Mateusz Viste-5
Hi all,

I write this short announcement to present an alpha version of a new
software I have been creating these past weeks. EtherDFS is an
"installable filesystem" for DOS. It installs a network drive that is
seen like any "normal" drive to DOS and its application, with the
exception that the actual data is located on a server. The server part is
called EtherSRV and currently only a Linux version of it exists. EtherDFS
uses raw ethernet frames to communicate with EtherSRV - this means only a
working packet driver is required, nothing else.

More information on the project's homepage:
http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net

I cannot stress enough the fact that this is an alpha version - it's in a
very early stage, and lots is to be done yet. It does work however, and
seems stable enough so it shouldn't make your PC explode. Its memory
footprint is quite huge for now, since its resident size is of 16 KiB.
Future versions will surely improve on that. Also, it *should* work with
MSDOS 5+, but I tested it only with FreeDOS so far.

Re: EtherDFS - a network drive for DOS

tom ehlert
Mateusz,

really cool.

unfortunately I don't have a linux machine around, so testing must
wait.

may I suggest to use UDP/IP instead of raw packets?

UDP/IP requires just a few bytes set up in the right way, and the
calculation of the IP checksum; shouldn't be too much work.

this would be much easier to use in multi-everything environments like
linux or windows. specifically raw sockets are not available in
standard windows

many thanks anyway for starting this project

Tom

am 31. Januar 2017 um 10:19 schrieben Sie:

> Hi all,

> I write this short announcement to present an alpha version of a new
> software I have been creating these past weeks. EtherDFS is an
> "installable filesystem" for DOS. It installs a network drive that is
> seen like any "normal" drive to DOS and its application, with the
> exception that the actual data is located on a server. The server part is
> called EtherSRV and currently only a Linux version of it exists. EtherDFS
> uses raw ethernet frames to communicate with EtherSRV - this means only a
> working packet driver is required, nothing else.

> More information on the project's homepage:
> http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net

> I cannot stress enough the fact that this is an alpha version - it's in a
> very early stage, and lots is to be done yet. It does work however, and
> seems stable enough so it shouldn't make your PC explode. Its memory
> footprint is quite huge for now, since its resident size is of 16 KiB.
> Future versions will surely improve on that. Also, it *should* work with
> MSDOS 5+, but I tested it only with FreeDOS so far.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-241-79886

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 19:09:28 +0100, Tom Ehlert wrote:
> may I suggest to use UDP/IP instead of raw packets?

Hi Tom,

It's a more common suggestion than you might think :) That's why I
covered this already in the documentation:
https://sourceforge.net/p/etherdfs/code/HEAD/tree/etherdfs/trunk/etherdfs.txt?format=raw

To summarize: I want to keep it small & simple, and don't want having to choose
between networking and having access to my remote drive. I need both to be
available at the same time.

Now of course it's an open-source project, so I'm open to forks and/or
contributions.

cheers,
Mateusz

Re: EtherDFS - a network drive for DOS

Mateusz Viste-5
I am pleased to announce that EtherDFS reached v0.6.
This updated version brings a few bugfixes and memory optimizations: resident
footprint is 7K now (was: 16K).