Quantcast

EtherDFS v0.8.1

Mateusz Viste-5
Hello group,

Not that long ago I announced here a new software I have created, named
EtherDFS. EtherDFS is an 'installable filesystem' TSR for DOS. It maps a
drive from a remote computer (typically Linux-based) to a local drive
letter, using raw ethernet frames to communicate.

Last weekend I released a new version of EtherDFS, the version 0.8.1. If
you're using EtherDFS, then upgrading to this latest version is highly
recommended, as it significantly improves the protocol's reliability
(especially important with buggy NICs that sometime send more data than
actually requested by the application - observed at least on Xircom PE3
dongles, but might happen on other hardware as well).

Changelog since v0.6:

[version 0.8.1]
 - EtherDFS frames are validated by a cksum (can be disabled with /n),
 - EDF5 frames announce their length to avoid troubles with Ethernet
padding,
 - arguments can be passed in any order,
 - /q and /u can be used together.

[version 0.8]
 - improved self-detection to avoid loading EtherDFS twice,
 - added unloading support (/u),
 - fixed a FindFirst regression (fixes usage under 4DOS),
 - fixed SETATTR action when using a non-FreeDOS attrib command,
 - implemented the 'Seek From End' call,
 - minor memory optimizations,
 - makes sure the redirector API is available before installing,
 - support for multiple drive mappings.

[version 0.7]
 - MS-DOS compat: flagging newly mapped drive so MS-DOS doesn't ignore it,
 - fixed FindNext behavior so it's compatible with ATTRIB from MS-DOS,
 - implemented the "Special Open" call (used by COPY in MSDOS 5.0 and
6.x),
 - increased timeout retries from 3 to 5 (more reliable on lossy
networks),
 - fixed parsing of the MAC address provided on command-line,
 - minor speed optimizations.

Project's website: http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net

Mateusz

Re: EtherDFS v0.8.1

Andy Stamp
Hi Mateusz,

I've been following your posts both here and on the VCF forum (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?57027-EtherDFS-an-ethernet-drive-for-DOS) and was inspired to pick up a Xircom PE3 adapter to help move files to and from my old XT with a bad FDC.

I set up a Linux VM with a FAT32 partition for the server and was playing with version 0.8.1 on my 486 and it was working great. Loaded Lotus 123 right off the network (and faster than I expected).

My question is: Does the server/protocol support multiple simultaneous connections?
If so, should I try to avoid accessing the same files from both clients?

Thanks,
--Andy

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Mateusz Viste <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Andy Stamp <[hidden email]>

--===============2563758283038139191==

--94eb2c18fde04c45b6054df36822

wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> Not that long ago I announced here a new software I have created, named
> EtherDFS. EtherDFS is an 'installable filesystem' TSR for DOS. It maps a
> drive from a remote computer (typically Linux-based) to a local drive
> letter, using raw ethernet frames to communicate.
>
> Last weekend I released a new version of EtherDFS, the version 0.8.1. If
> you're using EtherDFS, then upgrading to this latest version is highly
> recommended, as it significantly improves the protocol's reliability
> (especially important with buggy NICs that sometime send more data than
> actually requested by the application - observed at least on Xircom PE3
> dongles, but might happen on other hardware as well).
>
> Changelog since v0.6:
>
> [version 0.8.1]
>  - EtherDFS frames are validated by a cksum (can be disabled with /n),
>  - EDF5 frames announce their length to avoid troubles with Ethernet
> padding,
>  - arguments can be passed in any order,
>  - /q and /u can be used together.
>
> [version 0.8]
>  - improved self-detection to avoid loading EtherDFS twice,
>  - added unloading support (/u),
>  - fixed a FindFirst regression (fixes usage under 4DOS),
>  - fixed SETATTR action when using a non-FreeDOS attrib command,
>  - implemented the 'Seek From End' call,
>  - minor memory optimizations,
>  - makes sure the redirector API is available before installing,
>  - support for multiple drive mappings.
>
> [version 0.7]
>  - MS-DOS compat: flagging newly mapped drive so MS-DOS doesn't ignore it,
>  - fixed FindNext behavior so it's compatible with ATTRIB from MS-DOS,
>  - implemented the "Special Open" call (used by COPY in MSDOS 5.0 and
> 6.x),
>  - increased timeout retries from 3 to 5 (more reliable on lossy
> networks),
>  - fixed parsing of the MAC address provided on command-line,
>  - minor speed optimizations.
>
> Project's website: http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net
>
> Mateusz

--Andy

--94eb2c18fde04c45b6054df36822

posts both here and on the VCF forum (<a
ote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello group,<br>
Not that long ago I announced here a new software I have created, named<br>
EtherDFS. EtherDFS is an &#39;installable filesystem&#39; TSR for DOS. It maps
a<br>
drive from a remote computer (typically Linux-based) to a local drive<br>
letter, using raw ethernet frames to communicate.<br>
Last weekend I released a new version of EtherDFS, the version 0.8.1. If<br>
you&#39;re using EtherDFS, then upgrading to this latest version is highly<br>
recommended, as it significantly improves the protocol&#39;s reliability<br>
(especially important with buggy NICs that sometime send more data than<br>
actually requested by the application - observed at least on Xircom PE3<br>
dongles, but might happen on other hardware as well).<br>
Changelog since v0.6:<br>
[version 0.8.1]<br>
-a- EtherDFS frames are validated by a cksum (can be disabled with /n),<br>
-a- EDF5 frames announce their length to avoid troubles with Ethernet<br>
padding,<br>
-a- arguments can be passed in any order,<br>
-a- /q and /u can be used together.<br>
[version 0.8]<br>
-a- improved self-detection to avoid loading EtherDFS twice,<br>
-a- added unloading support (/u),<br>
-a- fixed a FindFirst regression (fixes usage under 4DOS),<br>
-a- fixed SETATTR action when using a non-FreeDOS attrib command,<br>
-a- implemented the &#39;Seek From End&#39; call,<br>
-a- minor memory optimizations,<br>
-a- makes sure the redirector API is available before installing,<br>
-a- support for multiple drive mappings.<br>
[version 0.7]<br>
-a- MS-DOS compat: flagging newly mapped drive so MS-DOS doesn&#39;t ignore
it,<br>
-a- fixed FindNext behavior so it&#39;s compatible with ATTRIB from MS-DOS,<br>
-a- implemented the &quot;Special Open&quot; call (used by COPY in MSDOS 5.0
and<br>
6.x),<br>
-a- increased timeout retries from 3 to 5 (more reliable on lossy<br>
networks),<br>
-a- fixed parsing of the MAC address provided on command-line,<br>
-a- minor speed optimizations.<br>
Project&#39;s website: <a href="http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net"
Mateusz<br>
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! <a href="http://sdm.link/slashdot"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://sdm.link/slashdot</a><br>
class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div
dir="ltr">--Andy</div></div>

--94eb2c18fde04c45b6054df36822--

--===============2563758283038139191==

--===============2563758283038139191==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: EtherDFS v0.8.1

Mateusz Viste-5
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:11:25 -0400, Andy Stamp wrote:
> I set up a Linux VM with a FAT32 partition for the server and was
> playing with version 0.8.1 on my 486 and it was working great. Loaded
> Lotus 123 right off the network (and faster than I expected).

I'm glad it works for you!

> My question is: Does the server/protocol support multiple simultaneous
> connections?

Absolutely, yes.

> If so, should I try to avoid accessing the same files from both clients?

Definitely. While operating multiple clients simultaneously on one server
is no problem at all, writing to the *same* file at the same time from
two different clients is almost guaranteed to wreck things up.
Simultaneous reads, of course, are no trouble.

Mateusz

Re: EtherDFS v0.8.1

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Mateusz Viste <[hidden email]>

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:11:25 -0400, Andy Stamp wrote:
> I set up a Linux VM with a FAT32 partition for the server and was
> playing with version 0.8.1 on my 486 and it was working great. Loaded
> Lotus 123 right off the network (and faster than I expected).

I'm glad it works for you!

> My question is: Does the server/protocol support multiple simultaneous
> connections?

Absolutely, yes.