FD 1.2 installation problem with AHCI enabled for SATA controller
I have tried to install FD 1.2 on a modern (2 year old) non-legacy PC which boots the installation CD from a SATA DVD/RW drive.
After COMMAND.COM is loaded the CD/DVD driver UDVD2 is started but after a delay it fails to load and asks for the preferred language. Soon after selecting the language and then selecting Yes to proceed it displays
Unable to locate the installation packages.
A reboot may help.
This PC is also used to run Linux from another disk which was installed with AHCI enabled (which is the BIOS default) for the SATA controller in the BIOS. If AHCI is disabled the error message is not displayed and, I presume that, the installation will be successful.
There are a few points to note
1. The version of UDVD2 on the FD 1.2 installation CD is from Apr 13 2013 when the latest listed is from Mar 5 2015.
At this time I do not know if the later version is an improvement or not.
2. The failure to load could have been caught before getting to copying packages from CD.
3. I have created my own bootable CD using FD 1.1 and eltorito.sys can access SATA CD/DVD drives with the controller in AHCI mode.
4. Until this problem is resolved it should noted somewhere on the "Install Howto - FreeDOS" page about disabling AHCI to allow installation.
5. If the PC requires AHCI to be enabled because Windows 7,8 or 10 was installed with it enabled it may need to be re-enabled and another CD driver used for FreeDOS.