FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Jerome Shidel
Hello all,

As you you may already know, we have been working on the FreeDOS 1.2 release.
One thing I would like to see make it into the release is some networking. I don’t think it would be
practical to have a universal setup for each and every machine and NIC at this time. But, it
may be possible to have the installer automatically do this for some of the known virtual machines.
For example, it may be feasible to setup and configure VMware, VirtualBOX and QEMU to do
networking. But, I don’t have the time to figure it all out. This is where all of you come in.

If you can provide the detailed information for these platforms and Jim approves, I may then be
possible to include it.

Here are the main and mostly obvious requirements.

All files and drivers must have an acceptable license and can be redistributed. Public Domain,
  GPL, BSD or another open source or unrestricted license. No encumbered commercial drivers
(such as NOVELL Netware, 3COM, NetGear, ….. ).

DHCP setup only.

Links to (or provide) any drivers and files that are required.
(It would be nice if they were in a FDNPKG compatible package)

Completely setup configuration files for the platform. (all INI, CFG files, etc)

List of any current 1.2 repo packages that may be needed (excluding BASE packages).
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/

Preferably, any files that are not in a package (like the config files) are placed under
\NET\VMWARE, \NET\VBOX, \NET\QEMU or other appropriate directory for the platform.

Also, please do not provide a customized config.sys or autoexec.bat. It should be possible to
place all environment settings and load drivers from a \NET\STARTNET.BAT file.

Thank you, Jerome

(Without your support, there is no way any type of pre-configured networking will make it into the next release.)

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Louis Santillan
A couple weeks late.  Apologies.

I like this goal.  The current FD 1.2pre 22 doesn't seem to have any
networking subsystem packages installed.  For me, this affects our
direction.  Michael Brutman has additional applicable analysis about
DOS networking here [0].

WatTCP/Watt-32: Lots of apps.  Mostly older, unmaintained apps.  16 &
32 bit apps and libraries.  Not a lot recent development or
maintenance.  OpenSSL support (which affect modern apps).
mTCP: Few apps.  Recent (well) written apps.  16-bit only.  Currently
(semi-?)actively developed graciously by Michael.  No SSL/TLS support.
picoTCP4dos:  One app (FDNPKG) for DOS, maybe others for other
platforms could be ported.  16-bit only (as ported by Mateusz, I see
potential for a 32-bit djgpp port) as of yet.  No apparent SSL/TLS
support, yet.

As for the Emulators and their hardware support,
VMWare: Supports AMD PCnet [1].
VirtualBox: Supports AMD PCnet [2].
QEMU: Supports AMD PCnet [3] as well as NE2000.
Bochs: Supports only NE2000 [4].

Personally I'm a VirtualBox and/or QEMU user and formerly a Bochs user.

As for drivers, the picture seems complicated (at least to me).  The
only reference to open source DOS network drivers are the crynwr's
[5].  The amdpd.zip [6] file seems to have a PCnet driver with an
ambiguous license (AMD Trade Secret + Russell Nelson GPL?).  There's a
NE2000 [7] driver as well.  Somehow they're all OSI certified.
There's lots of them.  They're intended to compile with TASM/Turbo
Make first, MASM second.  NASM, OWASM, JWASM porting/support would be
nice.

A nice generic WatTCP/mTCP DHCP config in autoexec.bat is easy to
setup if you're using David Dunfield's DHCP [8][9].  It can write both
config file formats. I do something like:
SET MTCPCFG=C:\DOS\MTCP.CFG
SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\DOS
LH C:\DRIVERS\PCNTPK INT=0x60
C:\DRIVERS\DHCP.COM P=60 /F /M
C:\DRIVERS\DHCP.COM P=60 /F /W C:\DOS\WATTCP.CFG

[0] http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/#Some_notes_on_networking_software
[1] http://www.stankowic-development.net/?p=6674&lang=en
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Device_virtualization
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU#Emulated_hardware_platforms
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bochs#Emulated_hardware
[5] http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/00index.html
[6] http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/amdpd.zip
[7] http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/pktd11b.zip
[8] http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/index.htm
[9] http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/dhcp.zip

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As you you may already know, we have been working on the FreeDOS 1.2
> release.
> One thing I would like to see make it into the release is some networking. I
> don’t think it would be
> practical to have a universal setup for each and every machine and NIC at
> this time. But, it
> may be possible to have the installer automatically do this for some of the
> known virtual machines.
> For example, it may be feasible to setup and configure VMware, VirtualBOX
> and QEMU to do
> networking. But, I don’t have the time to figure it all out. This is where
> all of you come in.
>

> If you can provide the detailed information for these platforms and Jim
> approves, I may then be
> possible to include it.
>
> Here are the main and mostly obvious requirements.
>
> All files and drivers must have an acceptable license and can be
> redistributed. Public Domain,
>   GPL, BSD or another open source or unrestricted license. No encumbered
> commercial drivers
> (such as NOVELL Netware, 3COM, NetGear, ….. ).
>
> DHCP setup only.
>
> Links to (or provide) any drivers and files that are required.
> (It would be nice if they were in a FDNPKG compatible package)
>
> Completely setup configuration files for the platform. (all INI, CFG files,
> etc)
>
> List of any current 1.2 repo packages that may be needed (excluding BASE
> packages).
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/
>
> Preferably, any files that are not in a package (like the config files) are
> placed under
> \NET\VMWARE, \NET\VBOX, \NET\QEMU or other appropriate directory for the
> platform.
>
> Also, please do not provide a customized config.sys or autoexec.bat. It
> should be possible to
> place all environment settings and load drivers from a \NET\STARTNET.BAT
> file.
>
> Thank you, Jerome
>
> (Without your support, there is no way any type of pre-configured networking
> will make it into the next release.)

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Jerome Shidel
Hello,

Rugxulo pointed me at a custom FreeDOS release that has some networking support. I haven't had time to look at it closely. But, initial quick and simple tests showed support for VirtualBox and VMware (bridged NIC).

> [...]
>>
>> Completely setup configuration files for the platform. (all INI, CFG files,
>> etc)
>>
>> List of any current 1.2 repo packages that may be needed (excluding BASE
>> packages).
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/
>>
>> Preferably, any files that are not in a package (like the config files) are
>> placed under
>> \NET\VMWARE, \NET\VBOX, \NET\QEMU or other appropriate directory for the
>> platform.
>>
>> Also, please do not provide a customized config.sys or autoexec.bat. It
>> should be possible to
>> place all environment settings and load drivers from a \NET\STARTNET.BAT
>> file.
>>
>> Thank you, Jerome
>>
>> (Without your support, there is no way any type of pre-configured networking

Ulrich Hansen-2
Hi Jerome!

One thing I would like to see make it into the release is some networking. I
don’t think it would be practical to have a universal setup for each and
every machine and NIC at this time. But, it may be possible to have
the installer automatically do this for some of the known virtual machines.

Actually FreeDOS 1.1 did quite a good job with networking in virtual machines. It would be great if FreeDOS 1.2 could keep it this way.

1. Drivers

FreeDOS 1.1 included PCNTPK.COM in C:\FDOS\BIN. This is the packet driver for the default virtual network card in VirtualBox. It is also very easy to use this driver in qemu. Just start qemu with the switch „-device pcnet“. VMware is also able to emulate that card. So most people will be happy with it.

PCNTPK is distributed at: http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/amdpd.zip The ZIP file includes the source as PCNTPK.ASM. PCNTPK.ASM says, it is copyright by AMD, Russell Nelson and Mike Ching and it is released under the GNU GPL v1. (It’s from 1994). The author Russ Nelson states the driver is OSI certified. As he was a founding member of the OSI, I see no reason to doubt that this is Open Source.

I suggest to keep PCNTPK.COM in FreeDOS 1.2. just where it was in 1.1.

2. Software

FreeDOS 1.1 included mTCP by Mike Brutman, an IBM programmer. He was so generous to ask his employer for a code review, which was finished at May 28th of 2011 when he released it as Open Source (GPL v3) on this list.The last Open Source version is 2013-05-23.

mTCP includes a DHCP client, a FTP client and server, htget, ping, a web server, an IRC client, a netcat clone, pkttool, a timeserver client and a telnet client. This should make a lot of people very happy.

FreeDOS 1.1 had mTCP in C:\FDOS\BIN. I suggest to keep this great free software in FreeDOS 1.2.

3. More software

There is a lot more Open Source networking software, from Arachne to GNU wget. Most of it is based on the free WATTCP library developed by Erick Engelke. If I could make a wish, I’d like to see SSH2DOS included in FreeDOS 1.2, which is a SSH client. It’s Free Software (GPL v2) and can be found at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sshdos/

4. Automatic Configuration

You said:

DHCP setup only.

mTCP DHCP.EXE get’s the network configuration from a DHCP server and writes it into MTCP.CFG. That’s a very good start. It would be even better if this configuration could be transferred automatically to WATTCP.CFG. Dave Dunfield wrote the utility DHCP.COM just for that. But unfortunately no source and no license can be found on his otherwise great website at http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/

For my VirtualBox FreeDOS images at https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/ I start a tiny free software program called M2WAT at boot in AUTOEXEC.BAT. It is written by the user "cordata" here on this list. See: http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-user%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg15414.html

It copies the IPs from MTCP.CFG into a valid WATTCP.CFG configuration file.

I tried to reach cordata a month ago but he didn’t respond - probably he is busy with other things. So I put his free software program into my github repo at https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT Everything is in folders as I saw it in other FDNPKG packages.

If M2WAT would make it into FreeDOS 1.2. most networking programs could be configured automatically by DHCP.

5. AUTOEXEC.BAT

AUTOEXEC.BAT needs the following lines to make the above actually happening.

SET MTCPCFG=C:\FDOS\MTCP.CFG
SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\FDOS
LH C:\FDOS\BIN\PCNTPK.COM INT=0x60
C:\FDOS\BIN\DHCP.EXE
C:\FDOS\BIN\M2WAT.COM

You could REM out all these lines in the default AUTOEXEC.BAT, so anyone who wants a network can just re-enable them.
Or maybe you have a better idea. :-)

Anyway thanks a lot for looking into this! And for all your great work.

Ulrich

PS: Some things in this post have also been suggested by Louis Santillan.
Thanks to him for his helpful research!

Am 01.08.2016 um 03:38 schrieb Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]>:

[...]

List of any current 1.2 repo packages that may be needed (excluding BASE
packages).
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/

Preferably, any files that are not in a package (like the config files) are
placed under
\NET\VMWARE, \NET\VBOX, \NET\QEMU or other appropriate directory for the
platform.

Also, please do not provide a customized config.sys or autoexec.bat. It
should be possible to
place all environment settings and load drivers from a \NET\STARTNET.BAT
file.

Thank you, Jerome

(Without your support, there is no way any type of pre-configured networking
will make it into the next release.)

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Ulrich Hansen-2
Hi Jerome,

I experimented a bit more with your installer CD to find out the steps how to install the programs I talked about in my last post.
Luckily most things are already there. Unfortunately there are some bugs.

Crynwr and MTCP are on the CD so you could just install them if you detect VirtualBox.

FDINST install F:\NET\CRYNWR.ZIP
FDINST install F:\NET\MTCP.ZIP

I zipped M2WAT in a FDNPKG compatible format: https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT/blob/master/m2wat.zip

IF you approve it, download and add it to the CD / the repo and install it with:
FDINST install F:\NET\m2wat.zip

The lines:

SET MTCPCFG=%dosdir%\MTCP.CFG
SET WATTCP.CFG=%dosdir%
..
REM DHCP

are already in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. But there are bugs...

Bug 1
In your AUTOEXEC.BAT you have a line:
REM CHCP 858REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

So someone accidentally deleted a line break. It should read:
REM CHCP 858
REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

Bugs2
The DHCP line won’t work as the C:\MTCP directory is not added to the PATH.
The PCNTPK line will not work as C:\FDOS\DRIVERS\CRYNWR is not added to the PATH.
Would this be fixed in FDNPKG or in the installer?

Please add them to the PATH. Then remove the REM in both lines.

Bug 3

Bug 4
DHCP will not work because there is no MTCP.CFG found in C:\FDOS\.
I suggest to copy the file SAMPLE.CFG in the MTCP.ZIP package from PROGS\MTCP to the root as MTCP.CFG.
This will make sure MTCP.CFG is installed in C:\FDOS. I have done that and there is an updated version of MTCP.ZIP at: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/mtcp.zip

Now after "DHCP“ add another line for WATTCP autoconfiguration with DHCP
C:\FDOS\BIN\M2WAT.COM

Some things still have to be done manually by the user (configuring FTPSRV password files, configuring VirtualBox to bridged networking) but it’s a big step forward.

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Jerome Shidel
Hello Ulrich,

I will definitely look into it very soon.
(Probably next weekend. Some changes at work have really limited my free time lately)

Rugxulo has also pointed me to a FreeDOS based release that MetaDOS. It
seems to do the automatic networking setup pretty well. Under VirtualBOX,
it works with the default settings. But with VMware Fusion, you must change
the type of networking adapter. However, that is all the further that I have
been able to look at it so far. I don’t know if there are any issues with porting
it to the official FreeDOS release. I have not had the time to delve into it and
figure out exactly what needs to be done.

Your solution will probably be easier for me to implement though. Especially, since
you have figured out all of the steps needed to get it working.

On Aug 21, 2016, at 8:20 AM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]
are already in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. But there are bugs...

Bug 1
In your AUTOEXEC.BAT you have a line:
REM CHCP 858REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

So someone accidentally deleted a line break. It should read:
REM CHCP 858
REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

As it turns out, this is a minor installer bug I will fix.

rem IF EXIST %DOSDIR%\BIN\DOSLFN.COM LH DOSLFN
$LANG_SET$
REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

Inserting the “REM” language settings drops the trailing CRLF. I
never noticed it was doing that it will take care of it.

Bugs2
The DHCP line won’t work as the C:\MTCP directory is not added to the PATH.
The PCNTPK line will not work as C:\FDOS\DRIVERS\CRYNWR is not added to the PATH.
Would this be fixed in FDNPKG or in the installer?

Please add them to the PATH. Then remove the REM in both lines.

I think the best solution will be to relocate all networking stuff in the AUTOEXEC.BAT into
a separate batch file. Probably, NETSTART.BAT or STARTNET.BAT. Then, provide it as a
separate package.

Then in the AUTOEXEC, just test for its existence and run it if present. A user could easily
disable it by using a single REM or removing the package.

Bug 3

Do you know why it won’t load high with option 2?

Bug 4
DHCP will not work because there is no MTCP.CFG found in C:\FDOS\.
I suggest to copy the file SAMPLE.CFG in the MTCP.ZIP package from PROGS\MTCP to the root as MTCP.CFG.
This will make sure MTCP.CFG is installed in C:\FDOS. I have done that and there is an updated version of MTCP.ZIP at: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/mtcp.zip

Now after "DHCP“ add another line for WATTCP autoconfiguration with DHCP
C:\FDOS\BIN\M2WAT.COM

Some things still have to be done manually by the user (configuring FTPSRV password files, configuring VirtualBox to bridged networking) but it’s a big step forward.

Thanks,
Jerome

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Auto NET Config

Ulrich Hansen-2

> Am 21.08.2016 um 15:33 schrieb Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Ulrich,
>
> I will definitely look into it very soon.
> (Probably next weekend. Some changes at work have really limited my free time lately)

Hello Jerome,

thanks for the reply. No reason to hurry… :-)

> Rugxulo has also pointed me to a FreeDOS based release that MetaDOS. It
> seems to do the automatic networking setup pretty well.

Yes it’s kind of magic. I am flattened. With berndpci and some cryptic PCI codes it identifies different cards (PCNTPK, NE2000, RTSPKT).
I found an old mail by Bret Johnson (Nov 11th, 2013) in "FreeDOS user", who used TSRCOM to do the same. And I looked into CRYNWR.BAT in the CRYNWR package - they also try to identify cards, also virtual network cards.

I am now looking into vmware to understand how their virtual network works. Maybe the above could be done in FreeDOS 1.2 too.

BTW: For berndpci there is no license file, it just states Public Domain.

> Your solution will probably be easier for me to implement though. Especially, since
> you have figured out all of the steps needed to get it working.

I am still working on it. I am for instance not sure what happens if you update a FDNPK package. Will configuration files be overwritten? Is it really OK to let "fdinst install MTCP.ZIP" create C:\FDOS\MTCP.CFG?

>> Bugs2
>> The DHCP line won’t work as the C:\MTCP directory is not added to the PATH.
>> The PCNTPK line will not work as C:\FDOS\DRIVERS\CRYNWR is not added to the PATH.
>> Would this be fixed in FDNPKG or in the installer?
>>
>> Please add them to the PATH. Then remove the REM in both lines.
>
> I think the best solution will be to relocate all networking stuff in the AUTOEXEC.BAT into
> a separate batch file. Probably, NETSTART.BAT or STARTNET.BAT. Then, provide it as a
> separate package.
>
> Then in the AUTOEXEC, just test for its existence and run it if present. A user could easily
> disable it by using a single REM or removing the package.

Sounds good.

>> Bug 3
>
> Do you know why it won’t load high with option 2?

I can’t remember. In my VirtualBox images I have in AUTOEXEC.BAT the line:

IF "%config%"=="2" PCNTPK INT=0x60
IF NOT "%config%"=="2" LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

so I worked around the bug for a long time. But why? I suspect it had to do with the different memory management in option 1 and 2.

Thanks again!
Ulrich