FreeDOS 1.2 Codename?

Simon van Meygaarden
Greetings, Folks.

A simple question, if I may: does FreeDOS 1.2 have a codename?
Wiki tells me all versions uptil 0.8 had codenames, but from then on, none!

I really like things having names, so right now I am using MINNESOTA
for FreeDOS 1.2 (also testing REDMOND -smile-) but I gladly switch to
another name is there is one.

Thanks in advance,
Take care,
Simon

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Codename?

Eric Auer-3

Hi people,

> A simple question, if I may: does FreeDOS 1.2 have a codename?

> I really like things having names, so right now I am using MINNESOTA

That would not be 8.3 compatible

I see that the Beta versions were Orlando, Marvin, Ventura,
Lemur, Lara, Midnite, Spears and Nikita, while the last Beta
had no name either. I do not see the pattern in the names,
so let me try some associations...

Orlando - Toronto, Calgary, ...

Marvin - Arthur, Trillian, Zaphod, ...

Ventura - depends on which Ventura: Venkman? Valiant?

Lemur - Squirrel? Blinky?

Lara - Jill? Tifa? Alyx? Peach?? Alicia? Aveline??

Midnite - Dawn?

Spears - Lopez? Shakira? Alanis? Tori?

Nikita - Leeloo? Leela?  Evelyn? Motoko?

Sort of tricky to come up with sensible choices  Bonus
points if you know each of the listed names in this email.

Cheers, Eric

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Codename?

Jim Hall-2
Beta 1 through Beta 9 R 1 had codenames. The short version is I thought codenames were a cute idea, better than just a number, so gave the Beta 1 a codename. But eventually they ran their course and we stopped giving names to the releases.

You can see the codenames listed here:

There is no pattern to the codenames. We really did just pick names that seemed relevant at the time. Some of them were hard to track down.

The Discussion tab has some background on the names. But I'm spending this month writing about interesting FreeDOS history, and I've already queued up an article on the FreeDOS Blog about the codenames for the FreeDOS releases, as part of an overview of all FreeDOS releases. That's scheduled for next week, I think.

I've already written about the logos, web banners, and web buttons. More to come!

Jim

On Jun 10, 2017 6:05 AM, "Eric Auer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi people,

> A simple question, if I may: does FreeDOS 1.2 have a codename?

> I really like things having names, so right now I am using MINNESOTA

That would not be 8.3 compatible

I see that the Beta versions were Orlando, Marvin, Ventura,
Lemur, Lara, Midnite, Spears and Nikita, while the last Beta
had no name either. I do not see the pattern in the names,
so let me try some associations...

Orlando - Toronto, Calgary, ...

Marvin - Arthur, Trillian, Zaphod, ...

Ventura - depends on which Ventura: Venkman? Valiant?

Lemur - Squirrel? Blinky?

Lara - Jill? Tifa? Alyx? Peach?? Alicia? Aveline??

Midnite - Dawn?

Spears - Lopez? Shakira? Alanis? Tori?

Nikita - Leeloo? Leela?  Evelyn? Motoko?

Sort of tricky to come up with sensible choices  Bonus
points if you know each of the listed names in this email.

Cheers, Eric

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Codename?

Simon van Meygaarden
Greetings, Folks.

Eric, Jim - good to meet!

Eric - I mostly use names within volume labels, which have the full 11
characters, but you're right, its probably better to stick to 8
characters, to allow for folder- and file names.

Nice list, though, most of them actually do make some sense. -smile-
I named 1.2 RC1 "Heaven" so I could tell my wife "I've been in heaven
all day long..." LOL

Jim - I'd love to read more about the history of FreeDOS, and I'll
keep an extra eye on your blog next week. As one who can still
remember booting up PC-DOS 1.0 from a 5.25 inch floppy, you're
bringing back so many wonderful memories... -smile-

That said, and with all due respect, I would like to urge you to
reconsider and select a nice name for FreeDOS 1.2. Trying not to get
too philosophical, but naming things is a somewhat magical or perhaps,
even divine form of act; an expression of recognition of
individuality, so to speak, and I dare say, FreeDOS 1.2 *deserves* to
be recognized.

So, for magic's sake, give the kid a name! -smile-

Take care,
Simon