FreeDOS 1.2 Networking Setup Under VirtualBox

FreeDOS 1.2 Networking Setup Under VirtualBox

Tony Richardson
I just finished setting up networking in FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox machine.  I documented the steps here: FreeDOS1.2NetworkSetup

It goes as far as describing how to setting up an FTP server under FreeDOS so that files can be transferred between the virtual machine and the host.  I saw a request asking for something like this in the email archives.  Constructive criticism is welcome.

Tony Richardson

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Networking Setup Under VirtualBox

Nick B.
In article <CAPp9Z=X0b=[hidden email]>,
Tony Richardson  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>-=-=-=-=-=-
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I just finished setting up networking in FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox
>machine.  I documented the steps here: FreeDOS1.2NetworkSetup
><https://goo.gl/XDcPzZ>
>
>It goes as far as describing how to setting up an FTP server under FreeDOS
>so that files can be transferred between the virtual machine and the host.
>I saw a request asking for something like this in the email archives.
>Constructive criticism is welcome.

That's quite interesting as I've just installed FreeDOS under VB and was
looking at mTCP. You may also wish to consider using a host-only adaptor
for your network connection - this will allow access to/from your host
OS to the VM without having to mess around with port forwarding.

BR
Nick

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 Networking Setup Under VirtualBox

Tony Richardson
Host-only networking does not give FreeDOS access to the Internet.  If you only want to use networking to transfer files between FreeDOS and the host it would be a good choice.  If you want to use Arachne to browse the web (and who doesn't?) or many of the other FreeDOS networking programs (ssh2dos, wget) the best choices are the default NAT mode or Bridged mode.

Tony