Quantcast

FreeDOS 1.2 & VirtualBox: Wiki updated

Ulrich Hansen-2
I have updated the pages at:

FreeDOS 1.2, especially the new installer, FDIMPLES and FDNPKG have made many things easier, especially installing a network. :-)

I also added an explanation how to mount the FreeDOS image in Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. And there’s a page about configuring a VirtualBox network with NAT and port forwarding.

By the way: Jim Hall has repaired the upload of pictures to the wiki, which was broken. So if anybody else wants to add knowledge and screenshots and explanations to the wiki, now is probably a good time to mail Jim for a login  :-)

Re: FreeDOS 1.2 & VirtualBox: Wiki updated

Jerome Shidel

On Feb 1, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks pretty good. :-)

Just one minor note you may wish to add. FDIMPLES is only installed with the FULL (+SOURCES) package set. It came kind of late during the development of the Installer (FDI). So, I really had not had much feed back on it. But, since everybody seems to love it, I think I may be able to talk Jim into including it in base for the next release.

As a side not, FDIMPLES does not actually do the package installs. It uses FDINST (part of FDNPKG) to perform that task. Future versions, may or may not use it.

Some of the future plans for FDIMPLES include:

Networking support (through external utilities, like wget and curl)
Multiple repository support, local media, multiple online sources.
Package versioning support like the new online repositories.
Package integrity verification. (Checksum checking and such)
Multi-language support for buttons and things.
Mouse support.
Some other stuff.

Things you may not already know that FDIMPLES already does now.

Can perform a package update from a REPO CD.
(Download REPO CD, run “FDIMPLES /UPDATE”, wait to load, then just select OK)

Can permanently modify BASE and FULL package sets on the USB stick media.
(Boot USB stick, quit to command line, run "FDIMPLES /CONFIG”)
Can save and load package set customizations.  (see in program help “h”)
(Make changes like normal, press w. It will create a changes only file)

:-)

Jerome