FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Abe Mishler
Hey everyone,

I would like to run Borland's Turbo C 2.01 (freely available now from [0]) under FreeDOS. I can only get the IDE (TC.EXE) to run under MS-DOS (I have 6.22) which is somewhat disappointing given my goal of using FreeDOS.

I did some searching regarding this issue and found this thread [1] and after attempting to replace the KERNEL.SYS with multiple others, none have fixed the problem.

Anyways, I would expect FreeDOS 1.2 to come with an updated kernel that could do this kind of memory allocation out of the box. Perhaps that's not the issue.

Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any help towards this end.

Best,
Abe

Re: FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Ira Minor
I run Turbo C 2.01 on FreeDOS 1.2 and MS-DOS 7.1 with no problems of any kind.

Ira

[hidden email]  805-212-0588

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Abe Mishler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I would like to run Borland's Turbo C 2.01 (freely available now from [0]) under FreeDOS. I can only get the IDE (TC.EXE) to run under MS-DOS (I have 6.22) which is somewhat disappointing given my goal of using FreeDOS.

I did some searching regarding this issue and found this thread [1] and after attempting to replace the KERNEL.SYS with multiple others, none have fixed the problem.

Anyways, I would expect FreeDOS 1.2 to come with an updated kernel that could do this kind of memory allocation out of the box. Perhaps that's not the issue.

Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any help towards this end.

Best,
Abe

Re: FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

--===============6679346884098046710==

--------------AE5B4F6910B20153C4958A33

On 3/19/2017 9:29 PM, Ira Minor wrote:
> I run Turbo C 2.01 on FreeDOS 1.2 and MS-DOS 7.1 with no problems of
> any kind.
Do you run the command line compiler or are you using the IDE, as Abe
was trying to do?

I haven't really bothered with TC 2.01 as I own Borland C(++)3.1 and
with that one, there used to be issues finding the right memory manager
setup.

Ralf

---

--------------AE5B4F6910B20153C4958A33

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
cite="mid:CAOtJc0Cay2BedahzbmNBJAP9=[hidden email]"
      type="cite">
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:large;color:#0000ff">I
          run Turbo C 2.01 on FreeDOS 1.2 and MS-DOS 7.1 with no
          problems of any kind.</div>
    Do you run the command line compiler or are you using the IDE, as
    Abe was trying to do?<br>
    I haven't really bothered with TC 2
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Ira Minor <[hidden email]>

--===============7247368430969604896==

--001a114b1c0a694895054b21facf

I run Turbo C 2.01 on FreeDOS 1.2 and MS-DOS 7.1 with no problems of any
kind.

Ira

[hidden email]  805-212-0588

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Abe Mishler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I would like to run Borland's Turbo C 2.01 (freely available now from [0])
> under FreeDOS. I can only get the IDE (TC.EXE) to run under MS-DOS (I have
> 6.22) which is somewhat disappointing given my goal of using FreeDOS.
>
> I did some searching regarding this issue and found this thread [1] and
> after attempting to replace the KERNEL.SYS with multiple others, none have
> fixed the problem.
>
> Anyways, I would expect FreeDOS 1.2 to come with an updated kernel that
> could do this kind of memory allocation out of the box. Perhaps that's not
> the issue.
>
> Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate
> any help towards this end.
>
> [0] http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/20841
> [1] http://freedos.10956.n7.nabble.com/HELP-Turbo-C-3-0-
> won-t-run-td6716.html
>
> Best,
> Abe

--001a114b1c0a694895054b21facf

style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:large;color:#0000ff">I
run Turbo C 2.01 on FreeDOS 1.2 and MS-DOS 7.1 with no problems of any
class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><font
href="mailto:[hidden email]" target="_blank">[hidden email]</a>
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto">Hey
C 2.01 (freely available now from [0]) under FreeDOS. I can only get the IDE
(TC.EXE) to run under MS-DOS (I have 6.22) which is somewhat disappointing
regarding this issue and found this thread [1] and after attempting to replace
the KERNEL.SYS with multiple others, none have fixed the
with an updated kernel that could do this kind of memory allocation out of the
running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any help towards this
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! <a href="http://sdm.link/slashdot"
Freedos-user mailing list<br>

--001a114b1c0a694895054b21facf--

--===============7247368430969604896==

--===============7247368430969604896==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Abe Mishler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any
> help towards this end.

I don't normally use IDEs. The very few times I do, I use TC++101
instead (which has less bugs and is noticeably faster code). While
Embarcadero has annoying restrictions, you can still allegedly
download (newer) TC++ but maybe have to (also) download (Windows)
trialware/bloatware first. So please try that, it's a better choice.

https://edn.embarcadero.com/article/21751

Just for completeness, you can dual boot MS-DOS and FreeDOS with
MetaKern. But I don't think it's necessary, and I'd honestly be
surprised if this was truly a kernel bug.

The only quirk I remember hearing about in recent years was slowdown
(in Borland IDEs) due to FDAPM, but that can be worked around by using
"ADV:REG" instead.

Sorry if that's not quite the perfect solution you want to hear.
Honestly, we have so many other compilers that few consider Borland
tools that crucial anymore. (I know some people prefer them, but we
don't *need* them, thankfully.)

If all you want is error checking (jump to compiler errors in editor),
I think even a DJGPP compile of JED supported that. Heck, a lot of
text editors (TPE?) also supported such error-jumping.

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TPE

Normally, since it is OSI-approved and supports cross-compilation,
OpenWatcom is preferred for FreeDOS development. It doesn't come with
a (DOS) IDE, only a vi clone. IIRC, although I only tried it maybe
once, there was also an old third-party (DOS, Watcom) IDE called
PowerView, which you can find (and sources) on Simtel mirror under
/pgmutl/ (pvide50.zip, pvidesrc.zip):

http://cd.textfiles.com/simtel0101/simtel/pgmutl/

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. (DJGPP has old/dead
RHIDE, and FPC has its own [Go32v2] IDE.)

Re: FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Abe Mishler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any
> help towards this end.

I don't normally use IDEs. The very few times I do, I use TC++101
instead (which has less bugs and is noticeably faster code). While
Embarcadero has annoying restrictions, you can still allegedly
download (newer) TC++ but maybe have to (also) download (Windows)
trialware/bloatware first. So please try that, it's a better choice.

https://edn.embarcadero.com/article/21751

Just for completeness, you can dual boot MS-DOS and FreeDOS with
MetaKern. But I don't think it's necessary, and I'd honestly be
surprised if this was truly a kernel bug.

The only quirk I remember hearing about in recent years was slowdown
(in Borland IDEs) due to FDAPM, but that can be worked around by using
"ADV:REG" instead.

Sorry if that's not quite the perfect solution you want to hear.
Honestly, we have so many other compilers that few consider Borland
tools that crucial anymore. (I know some people prefer them, but we
don't *need* them, thankfully.)

If all you want is error checking (jump to compiler errors in editor),
I think even a DJGPP compile of JED supported that. Heck, a lot of
text editors (TPE?) also supported such error-jumping.

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TPE

Normally, since it is OSI-approved and supports cross-compilation,
OpenWatcom is preferred for FreeDOS development. It doesn't come with
a (DOS) IDE, only a vi clone. IIRC, although I only tried it maybe
once, there was also an old third-party (DOS, Watcom) IDE called
PowerView, which you can find (and sources) on Simtel mirror under
/pgmutl/ (pvide50.zip, pvidesrc.zip):

http://cd.textfiles.com/simtel0101/simtel/pgmutl/

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. (DJGPP has old/dead
RHIDE, and FPC has its own [Go32v2] IDE.)

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: FreeDOS and Turbo C 2.01

Abe Mishler
Thanks. I'll look into OpenWatcom. I see it is supposed to have a nice debugger and Id used it for Doom. Interesting.

From: Abe Mishler <[hidden email]>