Quantcast

FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

12

FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Ulrich Hansen-2
I also had time to update my VirtualBox images of FreeDOS. So if anybody liked these images in the past: Here are the new ones: :-)

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

--===============3004881457433939489==

--------------D0A50F08F8D2FAE38F8C27C5

On 2/1/2017 9:21 AM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> I also had time to update my VirtualBox images of FreeDOS. So if
> anybody liked these images in the past: Here are the new ones: :-)
>
> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/

Well,...

On the side for the version supposedly without network, you are talking
an awful lot about the networking stuff being installed and following
the link for the supposedly networked version I just get

> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/downloads/vdi/FreeDOS1.2net.vdi.zip
>

>   Not Found
>
> The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

> Apache Server at www.lazybrowndog.net Port 443

---

--------------D0A50F08F8D2FAE38F8C27C5

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:[hidden email]"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
      I also had time to update my VirtualBox images of FreeDOS. So if
      anybody liked these images in the past: Here are the new ones: :-)
              href="https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/"
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

On 2/1/2017 9:21 AM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> I also had time to update my VirtualBox images of FreeDOS. So if
> anybody liked these images in the past: Here are the new ones: :-)
>
> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/
And to add to my last email, the supposedly non-network image starts
with network stuff enabled...

Might want to take another look at your links I guess...

Ralf

---

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Ralf Quint
On 2/1/2017 9:21 AM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> I also had time to update my VirtualBox images of FreeDOS. So if
> anybody liked these images in the past: Here are the new ones: :-)
>
> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/
And to add to my last email, the supposedly non-network image starts
with network stuff enabled...

Might want to take another look at your links I guess...

Ralf

---

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Ulrich Hansen-2

Am 02.02.2017 um 08:57 schrieb Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>:
Well,...

Not Found

Oh, sorry. I forgot to change one of the two links there. Thanks!! I repaired it.

On the side for the version supposedly without network, you are talking an awful lot about the networking stuff being installed

Hmm. You’ve got a point. The thing is: FTPSRV was for some years the fastest way of getting files in and out of the FreeDOS guest. So I considered it something most people would want, also in the „normal“ image without additional networking software.

Now with the VHD image type, you can mount it in your host OS and drag’n drop files with your Explorer, Nautilus, Finder, whatever. So now in VirtualBox FreeDOS can be used fine without a network.

So you’re right. But what are you suggesting? Making the FreeDOS1.2 image just a pure FreeDOS 1.2 version without any changes?

From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

On 2/2/2017 1:24 AM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

> Hmm. YouAve got a point. The thing is: FTPSRV was for some years the
> fastest way of getting files in and out of the FreeDOS guest. So I
> considered it something most people would want, also in the anormalo
> image without additional networking software.
>
> Now with the VHD image type, you can mount it in your host OS and
> dragAn drop files with your Explorer, Nautilus, Finder, whatever. So
> now in VirtualBox FreeDOS can be used fine without a network.
>
> So youAre right. But what are you suggesting? Making the FreeDOS1.2
> image just a pure FreeDOS 1.2 version without any changes?
Let's say that I was surprised to see that you mentioned loading
networking stuff in the image that wasn't labeled "non-networked". Your
explanation kind of makes sense, but I think it can also confuse the
hell out of people, specially when they notice that they end up with
less free RAM then they anticipated.
Maybe you can have an startup option for it, but not load the networking
stuff you just mentioned by default. Then it is easier for people that
don't want it or don't need it. And they still can get that feature if
they decide otherwise...

Ralf

---

From: Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]>

--===============8066260093034722502==

--Apple-Mail=_C66AE06C-D551-4755-886A-D2A39B14C871

> Am 02.02.2017 um 08:57 schrieb Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>:
> Well,...
>> Not Found

Oh, sorry. I forgot to change one of the two links there. Thanks!! I repaired
it.

> On the side for the version supposedly without network, you are talking an
awful lot about the networking stuff being installed

Hmm. YouAve got a point. The thing is: FTPSRV was for some years the fastest
way of getting files in and out of the FreeDOS guest. So I considered it
something most people would want, also in the anormalo image without additional
networking software.

Now with the VHD image type, you can mount it in your host OS and dragAn drop
files with your Explorer, Nautilus, Finder, whatever. So now in VirtualBox
FreeDOS can be used fine without a network.

So youAre right. But what are you suggesting? Making the FreeDOS1.2 image just
a pure FreeDOS 1.2 version without any changes?

--Apple-Mail=_C66AE06C-D551-4755-886A-D2A39B14C871

charset=windows-1252"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word;
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" class=""><br
08:57 schrieb Ralf Quint &lt;<a href="mailto:[hidden email]"
bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" class="">

--===============8066260093034722502==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Hi everybody,

I agree with Ralf - it is not intuitive that a non-network
operating system installs a network, even if it is only for
FTP file exchange. I think those who do want to use network
tools to communicate between host OS and a virtual PC with
FreeDOS inside will be able to deliberately select the DOS
install variant WITH network, while the rest will enjoy a
lean install without anything network related at all :-)

By the way, it would be nice to include VMSMOUNT which lets
DOS mount VMWare shared directories as drives, similar to
the magic "directory as a drive" function in DOSEMU. Both
require no network drivers at all, as far as I know :-)

Cheers, Eric

From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

On 2/2/2017 10:17 AM, Eric Auer wrote:
> By the way, it would be nice to include VMSMOUNT which lets
> DOS mount VMWare shared directories as drives, similar to
> the magic "directory as a drive" function in DOSEMU. Both
> require no network drivers at all, as far as I know :-)
Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
VirtualBox, AFAIK.

Otherwise, that would be my preferred method, similar to how you can
share data with the host in DOSBox/VDOS...

Ralf

---

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Ralf Quint
On 2/2/2017 10:17 AM, Eric Auer wrote:
> By the way, it would be nice to include VMSMOUNT which lets
> DOS mount VMWare shared directories as drives, similar to
> the magic "directory as a drive" function in DOSEMU. Both
> require no network drivers at all, as far as I know :-)
Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
VirtualBox, AFAIK.

Otherwise, that would be my preferred method, similar to how you can
share data with the host in DOSBox/VDOS...

Ralf

---

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Eduardo Casino-3
> Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
> VirtualBox, AFAIK.

Right.

> Otherwise, that would be my preferred method, similar to how you can
> share data with the host in DOSBox/VDOS...

I started a VirtualBox version a couple of years ago, but I lost
interest in it. Maybe one day...

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Eric Auer-3

Hi Eduardo,

> 2017-02-03 Ralf Quint:

>> Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
>> VirtualBox, AFAIK.

> Right.

As with drivers for other things, it would still be good to
include vmsmount for those who use vmware to run FreeDOS :-)

>> Otherwise, that would be my preferred method, similar to how you
>> can share data with the host in DOSBox/VDOS...

> I started a VirtualBox version a couple of years ago, but I lost
> interest in it. Maybe one day...

That sounds interesting! How far did you get, what is needed?

Cheers, Eric

Re: FreeDOS images for VirtualBox

Ulrich Hansen-2

2017-02-03 Ralf Quint:

Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
VirtualBox, AFAIK.

Right.

As with drivers for other things, it would still be good to
include vmsmount for those who use vmware to run FreeDOS :-)

Vmware uses vmdk images, my VirtualBox images are VHD. So that’s a whole new story.

I don’t see much use in including vmsmount on VHD image. And I have no experience with converting everything to VMDK images, how reliable they work with VirtualBox on Windows, Ubuntu and Mac hosts or how they can be mounted from the host OS. So that would require some researching and creating and converting and re-writing.

At the moment I would prefer a separate image for vmware users.

@Eric and @Ralf: About the clean FreeDOS 1.2 VirtualBox image:

I have done it: It is now EXACTLY what you get by installing manually with the FD12CD.iso and accepting everything. No networking. :-)

See: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21

cheers
Ulrich

From: Eduardo Casino <[hidden email]>

> Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
> VirtualBox, AFAIK.

Right.

From: Eric Auer <[hidden email]>

Hi Eduardo,

From: Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]>

--===============6012861226599600310==

--Apple-Mail=_D27D0CEF-402E-483B-8C06-876F4F5D24B5

>> 2017-02-03 Ralf Quint:
>
>>> Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with
>>> VirtualBox, AFAIK.
>
>> Right.
>
> As with drivers for other things, it would still be good to
> include vmsmount for those who use vmware to run FreeDOS :-)

Vmware uses vmdk images, my VirtualBox images are VHD. So thatrCOs a whole new
story.

I donrCOt see much use in including vmsmount on VHD image. And I have no
experience with converting everything to VMDK images, how reliable they work
with VirtualBox on Windows, Ubuntu and Mac hosts or how they can be mounted
from the host OS. So that would require some researching and creating and
converting and re-writing.

At the moment I would prefer a separate image for vmware users.

@Eric and @Ralf: About the clean FreeDOS 1.2 VirtualBox image:

I have done it: It is now EXACTLY what you get by installing manually with the
FD12CD.iso and accepting everything. No networking. :-)

See: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21>

cheers
Ulrich
--Apple-Mail=_D27D0CEF-402E-483B-8C06-876F4F5D24B5

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" class=""><br class=""><div
class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><blockquote type="cite"
class="">2017-02-03 Ralf Quint:<br class=""></blockquote><br
class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><blockquote type="cite"
class="">Well, that works only with VMware, but unfortunately not with<br
class="">As with drivers for other things, it would still be good to<br
class="">include vmsmount for those who use vmware to run FreeDOS :-)<br
class=""></blockquote><br class="">Vmware uses vmdk images, my VirtualBox
images are VHD. So thatrCOs a whole new story.&nbsp;<br class=""><br class="">I
donrCOt see much use in including vmsmount on VHD image. And I have no
experience with converting everything to VMDK images, how reliable they work
with VirtualBox on Windows, Ubuntu and Mac hosts or how they can be mounted
from the host OS. So that would require some researching and creating and
class="">At the moment I would prefer a separate image for vmware users.<br
class=""><br class="">@Eric and @Ralf: About the clean FreeDOS 1.2 VirtualBox
image:<br class=""><br class="">I have done it: It is now EXACTLY what you get
by installing manually with the FD12CD.iso and accepting everything. No
networking. :-)<br class=""><br class="">See:&nbsp;<a
href="https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21"
class="">https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21</a><br

--===============6012861226599600310==--

From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

On 2/3/2017 5:02 AM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

>>> 2017-02-03 Ralf Quint:

>>> Right.
>>
>> As with drivers for other things, it would still be good to
>> include vmsmount for those who use vmware to run FreeDOS :-)
>
> Vmware uses vmdk images, my VirtualBox images are VHD. So thatAs a
> whole new story.
I think both can handle a variety of virtual disk files, just haven't
used VMware in a couple few years now, ever since the they discontinued
the "VMware player" and now have only some weird "Workstation player"
that is more restricted. Haven't honestly looked at it again in at least
two years or so...

> I donAt see much use in including vmsmount on VHD image. And I have no
> experience with converting everything to VMDK images, how reliable
> they work with VirtualBox on Windows, Ubuntu and Mac hosts or how they
> can be mounted from the host OS. So that would require some
> researching and creating and converting and re-writing.
>
> At the moment I would prefer a separate image for vmware users.
>
> @Eric and @Ralf: About the clean FreeDOS 1.2 VirtualBox image:
>
> I have done it: It is now EXACTLY what you get by installing manually
> with the FD12CD.iso and accepting everything. No networking. :-)
>
> See: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=21
Thanks will take a look at it when I get home tonight...

Ralf

---

From: Ralf Quint <[hidden email]>

On 2/3/2017 12:59 AM, Eduardo Casino wrote:
> I started a VirtualBox version a couple of years ago, but I lost
> interest in it. Maybe one day...
Well, despite being "from Oracle" these, days, it is the best "freely
available" hypervisor out there. The VMware stuff is all for pay these
days, and the Workstation Player constantly bugs about updating to the
Pro version for mullah...

Ralf

---