FreeDOS versions of BACKUP & RESTORE program

FreeDOS versions of BACKUP & RESTORE program

Jörg Jenderek
Hello,
i am looking for FreeDOS versions BACKUP & RESTORE program, but i do not
found these programs.

After hours of searching i found only 2 html documents.

The first is "brusrman.htm" in directory dos/restore. It is the manual
with usage and messages for these 2 Free-DOS programs.

The second is "brtecdoc.htm" also found in directory dos/backup. There
format of backup files are described.
Furthermore there is written that BACKUP and RESTORE for Free DOS are
written in Borland C++ 3.1 and Turbo C++ 3.0.
According to that document first public release by Ralf Quint for the
FreeDOS project is done at 2000/05/07.

But i do not found program executables or source files.
Does anyone knows if and/or where these FreeDos programs/sources can be
found?
I do want to have answers like download MS DOS x.y and use that version.
This is not what i want.

Thanks for hints.
Jörg Jenderek
--
Jörg Jenderek

Re: FreeDOS versions of BACKUP & RESTORE program

Ralf Quint
On 4/9/2017 12:51 PM, Jörg Jenderek wrote:

> Hello,
> i am looking for FreeDOS versions BACKUP & RESTORE program, but i do not
> found these programs.
>
> After hours of searching i found only 2 html documents.
>
> The first is "brusrman.htm" in directory dos/restore. It is the manual
> with usage and messages for these 2 Free-DOS programs.
>
> The second is "brtecdoc.htm" also found in directory dos/backup. There
> format of backup files are described.
> Furthermore there is written that BACKUP and RESTORE for Free DOS are
> written in Borland C++ 3.1 and Turbo C++ 3.0.
> According to that document first public release by Ralf Quint for the
> FreeDOS project is done at 2000/05/07.
>
> But i do not found program executables or source files.
> Does anyone knows if and/or where these FreeDos programs/sources can be
> found?
> I do want to have answers like download MS DOS x.y and use that version.
> This is not what i want.
The software itself needs to be recovered off a DC6250 backup tape after
I had repeated hard drive failures during past moves or I need to find
the time to reconstruct the working C programs from an older source that
I was able to recover and various notes from +15 years ago.
I take your inquiry as a motivation to move that project up on my list
of priorities again. It had slid down the list since most responses in
the past where rather disparaging than interested...

Ralf

---

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Jörg Jenderek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i am looking for FreeDOS versions BACKUP & RESTORE program, but i do not
> found these programs.

Not sure, and honestly I've not used such utils at all (or at least
not in many years and don't remember).

I do remember that there is a freeware, third-party DOS "Restore"
clone (w/ MASM src), but it's considered Non-Free ("only for
non-military use"), so it cannot be included in FreeDOS proper:

http://mindprod.com/products4.html#RESTORE

Re: FreeDOS versions of BACKUP & RESTORE program

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM, J||rg Jenderek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> i am looking for FreeDOS versions BACKUP & RESTORE program, but i do not
> found these programs.

Not sure, and honestly I've not used such utils at all (or at least
not in many years and don't remember).

I do remember that there is a freeware, third-party DOS "Restore"
clone (w/ MASM src), but it's considered Non-Free ("only for
non-military use"), so it cannot be included in FreeDOS proper:

http://mindprod.com/products4.html#RESTORE

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net