Quantcast

Freedos 1.2 Network with fix ip

Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele
Hi,

the howtos from pre 1.2 do not seem to work for 1.2. How and what configs need to be changed to get a fixed ip adress in freedos 1.2?

Did someone have a look into why syslinux boot does not work when installing?

Re: Freedos 1.2 Network with fix ip

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> the howtos from pre 1.2 do not seem to work for 1.2. How and what configs need to be
> changed to get a fixed ip adress in freedos 1.2?

You mean in mTCP? Read the docs. (Sorry if that's not helpful enough.)

http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_2015-07-05.pdf

> Did someone have a look into why syslinux boot does not work when installing?

No, but did you test both FD12CD.ISO and FD12LGCY.ISO?

the howtos from pre 1.2 do not seem to work for 1.2. How and what configs need to be changed to get a fixed ip adress in freedos 1.2?

Did someone have a look into why syslinux boot does not work when installing?

I tried to comment out the dhcp.exe, but it did not work. Somehow another conifg file must start it at boot up so my changes in the config file are overwritten.
Would be helpfull if someone can make a list off where the network start up files are launched and which config file should be changed.

Re: Fw: Freedos 1.2 Network with fix ip

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2017 um 20:08 Uhr
>
> Von: "Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Freedos 1.2 Network with fix ip
>
> the howtos from pre 1.2 do not seem to work for 1.2. How and what configs need to be changed to get a fixed ip adress in freedos 1.2?
>
> Did someone have a look into why syslinux boot does not work when installing?
>

> I tried to comment out the dhcp.exe, but it did not work. Somehow another conifg file must start it at boot up so my changes in the config file are overwritten.
> Would be helpfull if someone can make a list off where the network start up files are launched and which config file should be changed.

I'm not intimately familiar with how FD 1.2's config files are set up, but ....

Everything initially starts from C:\FDCONFIG.SYS , even
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT (SHELL=... /P:) , so you can inspect or edit that
manually, or single step (F8) at startup.

A quick "xgrep -ri dhcp \*.bat" shows "\FDOS\BIN\fdnet.bat" as the culprit.

A quicker "xgrep -ri fdnet \*.bat" shows "\autoexec.bat".

"dir /s/a-d/b \dhcp.exe" shows two binaries:  under both
"C:\FDOS\NETWORK\" and "C:\MTCP\".

Okay?

Re: Fw: Freedos 1.2 Network with fix ip

Jerome Shidel
Rugxulo is correct.

In 1.2, the AUTOEXEC.BAT checks for the existence of the %DOSDIR%\BIN\fdnet.bat file. If it is found, it is run to attempt to automatically start networking.

The fdnet.bat and the %DOSDIR%\NETWORK directory provide all of the required programs and files to get networking support up and running on several platforms and virtual machines. These are only installed when the user installs the FDNET package. It is not installed automatically with either the BASE or FULL package sets.

Also, those programs and the core of the network startup process are directly ported from Rugxulo's MetaDOS project. The fdnet.bat is only a wrapper to that startup process.

Jerome