Quantcast

Freedos 1.2 and kolibri os dualboot

Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele
Hi,

I am new to freedos and got to this mailing list through this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0sP1VAo0D8

Where I wrote the follwing question:

Nice video. I got that far, but I was really looking into whether one could use freedos to format a harddisc and put freedos and kolibri os alongside. Got into some problems with the last part. First kolibrios.org download is 7z format so I got to download and install 7zip but it complained about wrong format. Than I realized that freedos as dos only supports 32bit fat not vfat which would be needed to put the kolibrios folder on and to boot the kolibrios.img. Is there a disc formating tool for freedos which supports making partitions with that kind of format and would it than be possible to copy over the kolibrios folder? Final goal would be to make a how to get freedos onto a blank system format and install it download latest kolibri os version and get it to boot from the harddisc (not from the disc image) and use a partition with the rest off the kolibri os applications on it.

I am active on kolibrios.org a small assembler written os. It is not a final product and therefore has no installer yet. One can use the disc image to boot from or (the better option) make a bootable partition and put the kolibrios.img and the extra applications into a kolibrios folder. Over the years this was the main thing newbies complained about. That is why I am searching for a way to to use some third party software to make a easier howto. I got to the point where I can run freedos and than encountered the problem that I could not unzip the latest kolibri os 7z file with the needed files. I than realized that dos does not support the bigger partition size than 2000 MBs and the greater letter count than 8.3. Is there a way to partition a second hdd partition like e.g. windows xp would do (vfat) from within freedos and get the files from the 7zip onto that. Booting the kolibrios.img should be possible with syslinux memdisk or the dos bootloader from kolibri os.

Anyway, great work you did on freedos! Getting it up and running with network support in virtualbox was easy!

Re: Freedos 1.2 and kolibri os dualboot

Jerome Shidel

On Dec 27, 2016, at 8:00 AM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to freedos and got to this mailing list through this youtube video:

Welcome.

Where I wrote the follwing question:

Nice video.

:-)

I got that far, but I was really looking into whether one could use freedos to format a harddisc and put freedos and kolibri os alongside. Got into some problems with the last part. First kolibrios.org download is 7z format so I got to download and install 7zip but it complained about wrong format.

There is also a version of 7zip on the FreeDOS 1.2 Release. It is not on the LITE version and is not installed automatically with either LITE/FULL package set. However you can easily install it using FDIMPLES.

Than I realized that freedos as dos only supports 32bit fat not vfat which would be needed to put the kolibrios folder on and to boot the kolibrios.img. Is there a disc formating tool for freedos which supports making partitions with that kind of format and would it than be possible to copy over the kolibrios folder?

There are a couple of partition utilities. And a version of good old fdisk is provided. It can create partitions for FreeDOS larger than 2GB.

Final goal would be to make a how to get freedos onto a blank system format and install it download latest kolibri os version and get it to boot from the harddisc (not from the disc image) and use a partition with the rest off the kolibri os applications on it.

I am active on kolibrios.org a small assembler written os. It is not a final product and therefore has no installer yet. One can use the disc image to boot from or (the better option) make a bootable partition and put the kolibrios.img and the extra applications into a kolibrios folder. Over the years this was the main thing newbies complained about. That is why I am searching for a way to to use some third party software to make a easier howto.

Sounds like a good idea. In my opinion, many new users just give up and move on when they run into issues.

I got to the point where I can run freedos and than encountered the problem that I could not unzip the latest kolibri os 7z file with the needed files. I than realized that dos does not support the bigger partition size than 2000 MBs and the greater letter count than 8.3.

FreeDOS does support larger partition sizes. However, the if the FreeDOS installer needs to partition the drive and can do it safely without user interaction, it auto-partitions the drive using fdisk. When fdisk automatically partitions, it just creates 2GB partitions. Probably for backwards compatibility.

FreeDOS also has a couple packages that provided Long File Name support. DOSLFN and LFNDOS.

Is there a way to partition a second hdd partition like e.g. windows xp would do (vfat) from within freedos and get the files from the 7zip onto that. Booting the kolibrios.img should be possible with syslinux memdisk or the dos bootloader from kolibri os.

Anyway, great work you did on freedos! Getting it up and running with network support in virtualbox was easy!

Thank you

Re: Freedos 1.2 and kolibri os dualboot

José Antonio
Hello Wolfgang, also you can use gparted live: http://gparted.org/ to create a partition before FreeDos 1.2
can be installed. Best in a clean virtualized partition :). KolibriOS works great. It will be also great if FreeDos and KolibriOS could share space. :)

 Asunto: Re: [Freedos-user] Freedos 1.2 and kolibri os dualboot
 Para: "Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS." <[hidden email]>
 Fecha: miércoles, 28 de diciembre, 2016 02:39

 wrote:

[...]

 Thank
 you
 -----Adjunto en línea a continuación-----

Re: Freedos 1.2 and kolibri os dualboot

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to freedos and got to this mailing list through this youtube video:
>
> Where I wrote the follwing question:
>
> Nice video. I got that far, but I was really looking into whether one could
> use freedos to format a harddisc and put freedos and kolibri os alongside.

It's been a few years since I (very briefly) dabbled with running
Kolibri. So, IIRC, it had (minor?) problems with Intel gfx cards.
Also, it would only boot from FAT32 (IIRC).

> Got into some problems with the last part. First kolibrios.org download is
> 7z format so I got to download and install 7zip but it complained about
> wrong format.

There are builds of p7zip via DJGPP for DOS, e.g. 9.20.1 or 15.09.
There's also DJGPP-built 7zdec (from LZMA SDK), which is very simple
and small, if all you need is to unpack .7z. There's also DJGPP builds
of xz utils (although p7zip supports .xz as well). Even the Win32
console version (e.g. 7za920.zip) runs under HX.

1). https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/7zip/7zdecode/7zdec1514.zip
2). https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/7zip/9.20.1/testing/p7z9201-latest.zip
3). https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/7zip/15.09/p7z1509b.7z
4). http://mik.dyndns.pro/dos-stuff/bin/p7z1602b.7z

> Than I realized that freedos as dos only supports 32bit fat
> not vfat which would be needed to put the kolibrios folder on and to boot
> the kolibrios.img.

I don't remember needing LFNs just to boot Kolibri. Sure, FreeDOS
doesn't inherently have LFNs (needs third-party driver / TSR), but
neither did MS-DOS 7, that was only active under the Windows GUI. The
only major DOS that I'm aware of that actively supports LFNs is ROM
DOS 7, which I've never tested (but is still sold online).

> Is there a disc formating tool for freedos which supports
> making partitions with that kind of format and would it than be possible to
> copy over the kolibrios folder? Final goal would be to make a how to get
> freedos onto a blank system format and install it download latest kolibri os
> version and get it to boot from the harddisc (not from the disc image) and
> use a partition with the rest off the kolibri os applications on it.

Like I said, I haven't used it in years, so I don't remember, but I
vaguely recall that it (only) worked with standard FAT32.

> I am active on kolibrios.org a small assembler written os. It is not a final
> product and therefore has no installer yet. One can use the disc image to
> boot from or (the better option) make a bootable partition and put the
> kolibrios.img and the extra applications into a kolibrios folder. Over the
> years this was the main thing newbies complained about. That is why I am
> searching for a way to to use some third party software to make a easier
> howto.

Presumably it's easier to boot under QEMU (and "fat:" maybe helps too
for accessing extra applications).

> I got to the point where I can run freedos and than encountered the
> problem that I could not unzip the latest kolibri os 7z file with the needed
> files. I than realized that dos does not support the bigger partition size
> than 2000 MBs and the greater letter count than 8.3. Is there a way to
> partition a second hdd partition like e.g. windows xp would do (vfat) from
> within freedos and get the files from the 7zip onto that.

FreeDOS has FD Fdisk, XFdisk, and SPFdisk. But I don't think
partitioning is your main problem here (and is probably
overcomplicated and dangerous outside of a VM anyways). Maybe I'm
remembering incorrectly, but I don't think I booted Kolibri via floppy
or CD.

> Booting the kolibrios.img should be possible with syslinux memdisk or the dos bootloader
> from kolibri os.

IIRC, it had its own loader somehow. I don't recall ever needing
SysLinux (nor MemDisk).

> Anyway, great work you did on freedos! Getting it up and running with
> network support in virtualbox was easy!

A quick search shows these links:

5). http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.php?t=2774
6). http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Dual_Boot_Kolibrios_with_Windows_NT/2K/XP/7