Quantcast

Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Gordon
Is there an easy way to double the font size? When running Freedos in
VMWare on a 4k monitor, the window is so small as to be almost unusable.
None of the VMWare display settings change the resolution of the window.
Even in full screen mode, the font size doesn't change.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Louis Santillan
You want to scale the window resolution [0].  There are usually a few
options/techniques to choose from.  Look for scale or scaling.

[0] https://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/running_fit_guest_ws.html

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to double the font size? When running Freedos in
> VMWare on a 4k monitor, the window is so small as to be almost unusable.
> None of the VMWare display settings change the resolution of the window.
> Even in full screen mode, the font size doesn't change.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Freedos-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Ralf Quint
In reply to this post by Gordon
On 1/5/2017 11:28 AM, Gordon wrote:
> Is there an easy way to double the font size? When running Freedos in
> VMWare on a 4k monitor, the window is so small as to be almost unusable.
> None of the VMWare display settings change the resolution of the window.
> Even in full screen mode, the font size doesn't change.
DOS doesn't know anything about a font nor it's size. If anything, this
is something that needs to be adjusted in the virtual environment.
The only font related info is the character itself that is being
displayed, depending on the code page, within the original 256 character
extended ASCII set...

Ralf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Gordon
In reply to this post by Gordon
You need to install VMWare tools in the guest to support resizing, and
the tools are not available for DOS.


On 01/05/2017 11:56 AM, Louis Santillan wrote:

> You want to scale the window resolution [0].  There are usually a few
> options/techniques to choose from.  Look for scale or scaling.
>
> [0] https://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/running_fit_guest_ws.html
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to double the font size? When running Freedos in
>> VMWare on a 4k monitor, the window is so small as to be almost unusable.
>> None of the VMWare display settings change the resolution of the window.
>> Even in full screen mode, the font size doesn't change.
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>> _______________________________________________
>> Freedos-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Freedos-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Gordon
In reply to this post by Gordon
That's what I was wondering -- can you install a larger font to get
larger characters, or will the window still be the same size so you just
get less lines and characters per line?


On 01/05/2017 12:02 PM, Ralf Quint wrote:

> On 1/5/2017 11:28 AM, Gordon wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to double the font size? When running Freedos in
>> VMWare on a 4k monitor, the window is so small as to be almost unusable.
>> None of the VMWare display settings change the resolution of the window.
>> Even in full screen mode, the font size doesn't change.
> DOS doesn't know anything about a font nor it's size. If anything, this
> is something that needs to be adjusted in the virtual environment.
> The only font related info is the character itself that is being
> displayed, depending on the code page, within the original 256 character
> extended ASCII set...
>
> Ralf
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Freedos-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Ralf Quint
On 1/5/2017 5:24 PM, Gordon wrote:
> That's what I was wondering -- can you install a larger font to get
> larger characters, or will the window still be the same size so you just
> get less lines and characters per line?
That font being used is still a matter of your host environment, and as
far as the number of lines is concerned, unless you play with VGA
register level functions, it's 40x25,80x25 or 80x43 for an EGA
compatible video adapter or 80x50 for a VGA adapter. You need to realize
that DOS is plain text base, it just displays characters the way the
video adapter does. And DOS does not have any direct functions to change
that...

Ralf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Freedos 1.2 font with 4k monitor

Jerome Shidel


> On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:30 PM, Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 1/5/2017 5:24 PM, Gordon wrote:
>> That's what I was wondering -- can you install a larger font to get
>> larger characters, or will the window still be the same size so you just
>> get less lines and characters per line?
> That font being used is still a matter of your host environment, and as
> far as the number of lines is concerned, unless you play with VGA
> register level functions, it's 40x25,80x25 or 80x43 for an EGA
> compatible video adapter or 80x50 for a VGA adapter. You need to realize
> that DOS is plain text base, it just displays characters the way the
> video adapter does. And DOS does not have any direct functions to change
> that...

You are correct. DOS really has nothing to do with the font.

However, in DOS you can use tools to load a custom font. Many systems support running fonts that can range from 8x8 to 8x26 pixels. So, the number of lines of text can range from about 15 to 50. There is some stuff the BIOS can do to provide things like a 9x16 font. But those are really just playing games with a 8x16 character.

Anyhow, you can use custom font tools to run the larger (or smaller) fonts. These will not change the size of the screen. They will just effect the height of the character and how many lines of text you get. That can be useful as well though.

If you install the extra package PGME (Program Manager Eternity) that is included on the 1.2 CD and Big USB image, you can easily play with bigger fonts in text mode. PGME is a dos menu system and program launcher. It has built in support for using custom fonts and one of its default menus includes viewing its documentation using a BIG (8x26) font. Included with PGME is the "Eternity Font Designer" to create and modify the type of fonts used by PGME. There are also command line utilities to convert to and from plain raster fonts (like those in the GNU Fonts package) to the format used by PGME. There are also tools to load the fonts from the command line or even turn them into stand-alone TSR programs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Loading...