HELP: Turbo C++ 3.0 won't run

andrewwan1980
Am using latest FreeDOS 1.0 version, from BASECD.iso.

1. Load FreeDOS with EMM386, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
2. Load FreeDOS with EMM386+EMS and SHARE
3. Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver
4. Load FreeDOS without drivers

When I try 1 & 2 options, Turbo C++ 3.0 commandline compiler reboots my Bochs. When I load option 3, then Turbo C++ 3.0 commandline compiler works 100%, compiles all my graphics example code and the built exe runs perfectly.

However I want to load Turbo C++ 3.0 IDE aswell. None of the options 1, 2, 3 were able to load Turbo C++ 3.0 IDE. I type tc.exe and nothing happens. I just see the command prompt again.

Re: HELP: Turbo C++ 3.0 won't run

Eric Auer

Hi Andrew,

> Am using latest FreeDOS 1.0 version, from BASECD.iso.
> When I try 1 & 2 options, Turbo C++ 3.0 commandline compiler
> reboots my Bochs. When I load option 3, then Turbo C++ 3.0
> commandline compiler works 100%, compiles all my graphics
> example code and the built exe runs perfectly.

Options 1 and 2 are with EMM386. Try replacing EMM386 EXE and
use the updated JEMM386 EXE from www.japheth.de - that might
be more compatible to your Bochs. Do also read the docs - if
you find that you need specific command line options to make
JEMM386 behave right, please let us know which ones you needed.

> However I want to load Turbo C++ 3.0 IDE aswell.
> None of the options 1, 2, 3 were able to load Turbo C++
> 3.0 IDE. I type tc.exe and nothing happens. I just see
> the command prompt again.

This is a known problem: The IDE says it wants, say, 1.2 MB
of DOS RAM. It expects DOS to give it 0.2 MB (the part after
the decimal point) and a DOS extender to give it 1 MB more.
FreeDOS 1.0 simply reasoned "you do not have 1.2 MB free in
your 640 kB of DOS memory, so the IDE cannot run". However,
there is a simple fix for this: Please use the KERNEL SYS of
a newer version, for example http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/
instead of your normal kernel sys (in the root directory).
Newer versions are aware of the exotic style of the TC3 IDE
and can run it without problems :-).

Eric

PS: The TC3 IDE issue is also explained in more detail in
our bugzilla database, see the "bugs" link on our homepage.

Re: HELP: Turbo C++ 3.0 won't run

andrewwan1980
> From: [hidden email]
>
> Options 1 and 2 are with EMM386. Try replacing EMM386 EXE and
> use the updated JEMM386 EXE from www.japheth.de - that might
> be more compatible to your Bochs. Do also read the docs - if
> you find that you need specific command line options to make
> JEMM386 behave right, please let us know which ones you needed.

Cool, I downloaded Jemm 5.71 and pasted the EXEs/DLLs into C:\FDOS\BIN. I briefly read the docs and notice that it's args are similar to emm386.exe... so I just basically changed default fdconfig.sys 2 lines from emm386.exe (NOEMS) X=TEST    to jemm386.exe (NOEMS) X=TEST    where you miss out the brackets for option 1 during bootup.

Still tcc.exe & tc.exe crashes when I load option 1 & 2 (JEMM386 loading). However option 3 for tcc.exe still works (like before). I don't know what args I can use... do you want me to try them all???
> This is a known problem: The IDE says it wants, say, 1.2 MB
> of DOS RAM. It expects DOS to give it 0.2 MB (the part after
> the decimal point) and a DOS extender to give it 1 MB more.
> FreeDOS 1.0 simply reasoned "you do not have 1.2 MB free in
> your 640 kB of DOS memory, so the IDE cannot run". However,
> there is a simple fix for this: Please use the KERNEL SYS of
> a newer version, for example http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/
> instead of your normal kernel sys (in the root directory).
> Newer versions are aware of the exotic style of the TC3 IDE
> and can run it without problems :-).
I downloaded ke2007sep15.zip (assuming this is the latest). His other files were kernel2036-binary, krn2037b.zip, ke2007jul21, ke2007aug20, ke2007aug26, ke2007sep07.zips so I think they are old.

The most confusing part was the:
KWC8616.sys, KWC8632.sys
KWC38616.sys, KWC38632.sys
files. I assume KWC86xx.sys is for 8086, 80286? But why two different architectures... and why 16-bit and 32-bit versions? Does that mean we can load pure 16-bit FreeDOS, or real 32-bit FreeDOS?

Anyway, I renamed KWC38632.sys to kernel.sys and put that in C:\... there was also a sys.com in the downloaded zip file, so I pasted that in C:\FDOS\BIN.

Turbo C++ 3.0 IDE loads up now :) unlike before... - BUT ONLY in option 3 (without JEMM386.exe). I wonder why http://www.fdos.org/kernel/ stable didn't work.. maybe because it was last compiled in 2006 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5109). And I see there's FreeCOM (command.com replacement). Do I need that? Or does FreeDOS BASE ISO 1.0 already contain a good-enough version?

> Eric
Cheers Eric!

> PS: The TC3 IDE issue is also explained in more detail in
> our bugzilla database, see the "bugs" link on our homepage.

You mean here: http://www.freedos.org/bugzilla/cgi-bin/index.cgi ?

Re: HELP: Turbo C++ 3.0 won't run

Robert Riebisch
Andrew Wan schrieb:

> The most confusing part was the:
> KWC8616.sys, KWC8632.sys
> KWC38616.sys, KWC38632.sys
> files. I assume KWC86xx.sys is for 8086, 80286? But why two different
> architectures... and why 16-bit and 32-bit versions? Does that mean we
> can load pure 16-bit FreeDOS, or real 32-bit FreeDOS?

IIRC xx16.sys ist for FAT16 while xx32.sys has support for FAT16 and FAT32.

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/