HIMEMX.EXE - Invalid Opcode

userbeitrag
I tried to boot FreeDOS 1.2 on my 2005 PC, specs:

* BIOS

* Intel 945P chipset

* Pentium D-950 (64-bit capable)

* 2.5 GB DDR2 RAM

* SATA in "Compatible Mode" as P-ATA:

** Primary IDE Master: IOMEGA ZIP 250

** Primary IDE Slave: DVD-RW

* PATA from additional controller chip

** TRANSCEND IDE FLASH MODULE

It is the FD12CD.ISO image, booted from CD-R. I chose "Install" and used
F8 to diagnose the problem.

DEVICE=\FDSetup\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE stalls the system. It infinitely repeads:

Invalid Opcode at 0FAE 1068 0046 0001 0002 0000 0200 0000 0000 0183 0000
4200 0001

Skipping HIMEMX.EXE lets me continue with installation.

Just reporting...

Userbeitrag.

Re: HIMEMX.EXE - Invalid Opcode

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to boot FreeDOS 1.2 on my 2005 PC, specs:
>
> It is the FD12CD.ISO image, booted from CD-R. I chose "Install" and used
> F8 to diagnose the problem.
>
> DEVICE=\FDSetup\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE stalls the system. It infinitely repeads:
>
> Invalid Opcode at 0FAE 1068 0046 0001 0002 0000 0200 0000 0000 0183 0000
> 4200 0001
>
> Skipping HIMEMX.EXE lets me continue with installation.

I wonder if you somehow have a corrupted .iso download. Did you verify
the md5sum? Also, what speed did you burn the CD-R? Slower (4x?) is
presumably better. Even once burned, what is the md5sum of the
HIMEMX.EXE file?

Sure, it's possible that your machine somehow doesn't like HIMEMX
(which seems strange). Who knows, it could be some subtle
incompatibility due to BIOS (maybe?? turn off "Legacy USB"??).

Or you may wish to try a different version (e.g. 3.32) just for
comparison (or maybe even alternate drivers like FDXMS or XMGR).

Re: HIMEMX.EXE - Invalid Opcode

Tony Richardson
I am having exactly the same problem (Invalid Opcode at HIMEMX line) with a laptop from the same era.  FreeDOS 1.1 installed without problems.  I was using the 1.2 standard CD.  I plan to try the 1.2 legacy CD tonight to see if that makes a difference.  (Is there a description of the differences between the standard and legacy installation CDs somewhere?)

Tony

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to boot FreeDOS 1.2 on my 2005 PC, specs:
>
> It is the FD12CD.ISO image, booted from CD-R. I chose "Install" and used
> F8 to diagnose the problem.
>
> DEVICE=\FDSetup\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE stalls the system. It infinitely repeads:
>
> Invalid Opcode at 0FAE 1068 0046 0001 0002 0000 0200 0000 0000 0183 0000
> 4200 0001
>
> Skipping HIMEMX.EXE lets me continue with installation.

I wonder if you somehow have a corrupted .iso download. Did you verify
the md5sum? Also, what speed did you burn the CD-R? Slower (4x?) is
presumably better. Even once burned, what is the md5sum of the
HIMEMX.EXE file?

Sure, it's possible that your machine somehow doesn't like HIMEMX
(which seems strange). Who knows, it could be some subtle
incompatibility due to BIOS (maybe?? turn off "Legacy USB"??).

Or you may wish to try a different version (e.g. 3.32) just for
comparison (or maybe even alternate drivers like FDXMS or XMGR).

Re: HIMEMX.EXE - Invalid Opcode

Jerome Shidel

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 9:16 AM, Tony Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am having exactly the same problem (Invalid Opcode at HIMEMX line) with a laptop from the same era.  FreeDOS 1.1 installed without problems.  I was using the 1.2 standard CD.  I plan to try the 1.2 legacy CD tonight to see if that makes a difference.  (Is there a description of the differences between the standard and legacy installation CDs somewhere?)
>
> Tony

Yes. I've gone into the details in the FreeDOS-devel list and on Facebook previously. But, don't think I've described it here.

Basically, the CD images are identical and install the exact same version of FreeDOS. However, there is one major difference. The use different booting methods. The Legacy (LGCY) version uses the original El Torito bootable CD specification. To boot this CD, the system BIOS loads a image file from the CD and uses it to emulate a floppy disk and boots it. The normal FD12CD.iso is handled differently. It boots a binary image file for ISOLINUX, this in turn uses memdisk to load and emulate a floppy for booting.

Some systems behave erratically with one or the other method. For example, the LGCY disc will appear to function correctly under VirtualBox. But, when any program then access the data portion of the disc, the system freezes. VirtualBox requires the FD12CD. But, some users have reported that method did not work on their hardware and the LGCY version worked fine. These two methods are mutually exclusive and cannot be combined without breaking system compatibility with machines that only support the original specification. So, both versions are required for maximum compatibility.

By all rights, any computer that supports booting from CD, should work with the LGCY version. But, that is not the case. It may be the result of BIOS vendors not fully testing their compatibility with the ancient CD boot spec. But, it could be elsewhere.

Re: HIMEMX.EXE - Invalid Opcode

Tony Richardson
Although the standard installer gave me this same error, the legacy installer worked fine.

Tony Richardson