Hello, etc.

Daniel Verkamp
Hi, FreeDOS-32 developers

I'm the developer and maintainer of the 32-bit DOS port of FreeBASIC
(http://www.freebasic.net/), which uses the DJGPP binutils and a runtime
library written in C and compiled with DJGPP - therefore it seems a good
fit for producing native fd32 programs.  I assume that the linker needs
a special argument to force the code to be located at a static address
for now since the loader does not do relocation - I haven't tried it
yet, but I will soon.

Anyway, FB DOS development is nearing a state of "completion" where I
will no longer need to be so involved with that project (just doing
support, bugfixes, etc.), so I'm looking for an interesting project to
work on that intersects with my set of skills and knowledge.

I've been reading the freedos-32-dev list for a while now and perusing
the kernel and driver source code; I think I would like to help with
this project.

If there is any particular area that needs development and can be coded
relatively independently of other parts of the system, I'd be glad to
take it on.

I'm proficient at C (mainly experienced with mingw32 and DJGPP) and x86
ASM (mostly 16-bit/real-mode, but 32-bit is a natural extension thereof
:).  As far as DOS-specific knowledge, I have a shallow but broad range
of knowledge (and there's always Ralf Brown's list and various other
documentation), specializing in graphics programming (standard VGA modes
and Mode X, along with a bit of VESA SVGA).

I am not quite finished with the DOS port of FB yet, but as soon as I
am, I will be willing to dedicate my coding time to FreeDOS-32, if there
is a need for additional developers.

Thanks for the excellent OS - keeping DOS alive. :)

-- Daniel Verkamp
-- i_am_drv at users dot sf dot net

Re: Hello, etc.

Hanzac Chen
Hi, Daniel

>From: Daniel Verkamp
>I'm the developer and maintainer of the 32-bit DOS port of FreeBASIC
>(http://www.freebasic.net/), which uses the DJGPP binutils and a runtime
>library written in C and compiled with DJGPP - therefore it seems a good
>fit for producing native fd32 programs.  I assume that the linker needs a
>special argument to force the code to be located at a static address for
>now since the loader does not do relocation - I haven't tried it yet, but I
>will soon.
Mm ... a normal COFF-GO32 executable can also be loaded and executed
if using the wrapper.com which creats a seperate running memory space.

So absolutely being linked to an address is not quite needed for ordinary
applications.

>Anyway, FB DOS development is nearing a state of "completion" where I will
>no longer need to be so involved with that project (just doing support,
>bugfixes, etc.), so I'm looking for an interesting project to work on that
>intersects with my set of skills and knowledge.
>
>I've been reading the freedos-32-dev list for a while now and perusing the
>kernel and driver source code; I think I would like to help with this
>project.
>
>If there is any particular area that needs development and can be coded
>relatively independently of other parts of the system, I'd be glad to take
>it on.
>
>I'm proficient at C (mainly experienced with mingw32 and DJGPP) and x86 ASM
>(mostly 16-bit/real-mode, but 32-bit is a natural extension thereof :).  As
>far as DOS-specific knowledge, I have a shallow but broad range of
>knowledge (and there's always Ralf Brown's list and various other
>documentation), specializing in graphics programming (standard VGA modes
>and Mode X, along with a bit of VESA SVGA).
I'm not the admin of the project. But any help, advice or idea will be
welcomed I think.

and there're lots needed to be done, like the DPMI module can only execute
some applications (text-mode editor, console utilities ...), it's going to
support
some VGA based on the efforts of the LGPL VGABios project and it's merely
at the start point.

and we also have a minimal Win32 support, that's implemented in the WINB
module. It needs to write tests to stabilize it. Our first target is to
support
as many Win32 console applications as possible.

and drivers are needed, if graphics, sound, network ... related drivers can
be
developed, that will be awesome.

At last, any fixes, improvements will be good, too.

These things are what I am aware of, so it's of course not complete. :-)

Thanks,
Hanzac

( BTW: I will return to the development in July ...)

Re: Hello, etc.

Martin "E.T." Misuth
Hello,

I have asked on this mailing list about FreeBASIC already, and got reply
that it should be able to run on DPMI emulation layer. However I haven't
time to try it. On the other side I would like to see FreeBASIC native
port for fd32 too. As you, Daniel Verkamp, maintainer of fb for DOS,
have posted to this forum I got really excited. I already knew that fb
is producing DjGPP compatible objects so it should be suitable to run on
fd32, however I myself am unable to do necessary conversion. Do you
think it is possible and realistic to have FreeBASIC fd32 branch? That
would be great and might help to attract some programmers from QB
comunity. Sure most of them are not real gurus, but I think in later
stages of fd32 development it would be good to have native "easy"
alternative compiler as FreeBASIC is, next to C.

Maybe even fd32 stuff may find useful to have something close to QB ;)
at hand for quick & dirty prototyping...

 E.T.

Re: Hello, etc.

Nils Labugt
Hi, Daniel

fre, 27,.05.2005 kl. 11.45 +0000, skrev Hanzac Chen:
[...]
> and drivers are needed, if graphics, sound, network ... related drivers can
> be
> developed, that will be awesome.
Just a remark regarding graphics driver: Salvo has written a somewhat
limited VESA2 graphics library (It is in the "graphics" module). A quote
from README.txt:

        It features:
        - Mode switching to any resolution using VESA2 Bios Extensions
        - Video memory access through VESA2 Linear Frame Buffer
        - Only 32-bit per pixel modes are used, in order to allow
        transparency effects
        - Drawing filled boxes
        - Drawing filled boxes with transparency
        - Copying rectangular regions between linear frame buffers
        - Rendering text strings using bitmap fonts in PCF format (of
        X-Window System)
        - Displaying bitmap images with transparency
        - Capturing bitmap images from a linear frame buffer
        - Clipping draw operations to a specified rectangle

        It does not feature:
        - Any kind of hardware acceleration (that is graphics-card
        dependent)
        - Support for 8- (indexed), 15-, 16- or 24-bit color modes
        - Drawing primitives such as lines, circles, etc.

IMHO (I don't know much about graphics) it would be useful to have
something like this implemented as a loadable module as a starting point
of a GUI, with support of more color modes, drawing primitives and
drawing inside a "client area" specified by the GUI.

Of course, in case you find this interesting we should hear the others
opinions (especially Salvo's).

But there are of course a lot of other drivers/functionalities that is
needed.

Nils

Re: Hello, etc.

Salvo Isaja
Hi Daniel,
welcome to this mailing list.

On Friday 27 May 2005 07:02, Daniel Verkamp wrote:
> I'm the developer and maintainer of the 32-bit DOS port of FreeBASIC
> (http://www.freebasic.net/), which uses the DJGPP binutils and a
> runtime library written in C and compiled with DJGPP - therefore it
> seems a good fit for producing native fd32 programs.  I assume that
> the linker needs a special argument to force the code to be located
> at a static address for now since the loader does not do relocation -
> I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

Linking the executable image at a different base address than the
default one is actually a hack to let us load non relocatable
executables in our flat memory space.
The goal is to provide a loader (that is the wrapper module) for them to
load in a segmented memory space. Currently (as you have already done)
you have to issue the wrapper manually, but in a next stage it will be
loaded and somewhat kept "resident", so that when a non relocatable
image is found the wrapper is triggered automatically.

> If there is any particular area that needs development and can be
> coded relatively independently of other parts of the system, I'd be
> glad to take it on.

Feel free to work on whatever you like best (of course, using this list
to synchronize the efforts). If you see FD32 lacks some parts (well, it
lacks many... but I'm not able to list them ;-), or you see some FD32
parts can be improved (there's a lot of work here), any contribution
will be welcome.

> of knowledge (and there's always Ralf Brown's list and various other
> documentation), specializing in graphics programming (standard VGA
> modes and Mode X, along with a bit of VESA SVGA).

As Nils said, I once wrote a basic VESA2 library, but it was for DOS.
Luca made some attempts to try it under FD32, but I don't know its
results. Moreover, I started to code a window based GUI in C++, under
DOS, somewhat working but very limited. I'd like to carry on its
development one day, possibly using something like wxWidgets as a
reference, in order to make the right things (a wxWidgets port of FD32
would be very cool). If you'd like to work on this, we can share some
code, although I've not yet released it because it was very "unstable".

> I am not quite finished with the DOS port of FB yet, but as soon as I
> am, I will be willing to dedicate my coding time to FreeDOS-32, if
> there is a need for additional developers.

There's always need for developers! ;-)

Bye,
   Salvo

 Sponsor:

 Digitalpix: Il metodo pi? comodo, veloce e conveniente

* per stampare le tue foto digitali migliori.

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=1523&d=29-5

Re: Hello, etc.

Hanzac Chen-2
Hi, Salvo

Salvo Isaja wrote:
> As Nils said, I once wrote a basic VESA2 library, but it was for DOS.
> Luca made some attempts to try it under FD32, but I don't know its
> results. Moreover, I started to code a window based GUI in C++, under
> DOS, somewhat working but very limited. I'd like to carry on its
> development one day, possibly using something like wxWidgets as a
> reference, in order to make the right things (a wxWidgets port of FD32
> would be very cool). If you'd like to work on this, we can share some
> code, although I've not yet released it because it was very "unstable".
Hey, I also thought of porting wxWidgets to FD32 once 'cause I saw it
can be ported to DOS through MGL (of Scitech) engine.

So I think it can be done when we can provide a back-end graphics
engine. Maybe writing a VESA graphics engine for the wxWidgets is
worth trying ...

Wondering,
Hanzac