How do I compile just the bootsector and kernel?

How do I compile just the bootsector and kernel?

Ben Hutchinson
Of all the many files in the FreeDOS sourcecode, which files will I need if I just want to compile the bootsector and the kernel? I don't care to build command.com, or any of the tools that normally come with a full copy of FreeDOS. And also, what is the recommended free compiler (I'm not about to spend money to buy one) for use in compiling the FreeDOS bootsector and kernel?

Re: How do I compile just the bootsector and kernel?

Mateusz Viste-5
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:59:25 -0800, Ben Hutchinson wrote:
> Of all the many files in the FreeDOS sourcecode, which files will I need
> if I just want to compile the bootsector and the kernel?

You'll need the source files present in the "KERNEL" package,
unsurprisingly. You can also fetch these sources on-line here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/svn/HEAD/tree/kernel/trunk/

> And also, what is the recommended free compiler (I'm
> not about to spend money to buy one) for use in compiling the FreeDOS
> bootsector and kernel?

The FreeDOS kernel can supposedly be compiled with the following
compilers: MS C, Watcom C, Turbo C, Turbo C++, Borland C.
>From those, I have tested successfully Open Watcom and Turbo C 2.01. Both
are free (no cost). Using Turbo C requires to change a few lines of
comments though, as I wrote here the 26th November of last year (still
not fixed on SVN).

Mateusz

Re: How do I compile just the bootsector and kernel?

Louis Santillan
See the FreeDOS Spec [0].  OpenWatcom C/C++ (1.9?) (and by extension
WASM/JWASM? for ASM??) and NASM (no version either though many are
based on 0.98.x) are the reference compilers/assemblers/linker.

I was able to able to compile a recent kernel version with the
non-reference compiler Borland C/C++ 4.5.2 (the last Borland C/C++
compiler to support DOS compiling executables).  I had to make minor
changes to the Makefiles to successfully compile the kernel.  See the
mailing list archives for my notes.

[0] http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/FreeDOS_Spec#Programming_tools