How to rework some French translations and contribute a Turkish translation?

How to rework some French translations and contribute a Turkish translation?

thraex
Hello there,

I recently bought a laptop from HP, a 15-af116nt and guess what, it came with FreeDOS which means that I didn’t have to pay the Microsoft tax for Windows that I wasn’t going to use anyway. So I installed Ubuntu on that laptop and FreeDOS is still on /dev/sda2 there so I can play with it :)

All this to say a huge thank you for your work guys.

Also, I saw that FreeDOS 1.2 RC1 was online and gave it a try on QEMU. There are some sentences that could be reworked in the French translations (especially on the installer, which I played with), and I would happily contribute Turkish translations as a way of giving back. But keep in mind that I’m not a developer, just a translator, so I’m going to ask for a pointer for the translation files along with some information on the workflow (are you working with gettext files? What encoding should I use?).

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Re: How to rework some French translations and contribute a Turkish translation?

Jerome Shidel

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 5:11 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello there,
>
> I recently bought a laptop from HP, a 15-af116nt and guess what, it came with FreeDOS which means that I didn稚 have to pay the Microsoft tax for Windows that I wasn稚 going to use anyway. So I installed Ubuntu on that laptop and FreeDOS is still on /dev/sda2 there so I can play with it :)

:-)

> Also, I saw that FreeDOS 1.2 RC1 was online and gave it a try on QEMU.

If you decide to upgrade your installed instance, be sure to back it up in case there are any closed source drivers in there. Also, be sure to run the installer in advanced mode.

> There are some sentences that could be reworked in the French translations (especially on the installer, which I played with), and I would happily contribute Turkish translations as a way of giving back. But keep in mind that I知 not a developer, just a translator, so I知 going to ask for a pointer for the translation files along with some information on the workflow (are you working with gettext files? What encoding should I use?).

It may be to late in the process for either to make it into RC2 or Final. But, it is a possible for later versions and I would be pleased to add support for Turkish to its supported languages.

Technically, the installer can support a near infinite number of languages. However, only so many will probably be listed on the selection screen in the near future. But, the installer does automatically try to import language and some other settings when performing OS upgrades. It will also use the LANG environment variable when it has been set. So, even if a language is not listed, it can still be supported by the installer.

The installer is pure batch file logic that uses external utilities. Mostly, powered by FreeCOM and V8 Power Tools,

The language files are text resource files that include some variables and formatting switches. Some of the embedded comments in those files are a little outdated. But, take a look at https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/LANGUAGE/EN/FDSETUP.DEF and https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/LANGUAGE/FR/FDSETUP.DEF
They are a little complicated to read. But, not to bad once you get the hang of them. At present, only standard the Standard DOS latin character set is supported. Both UNIX (LF) and Windows (CRLF) line endings are supported.

The best way to work on a language is by installing FreeDOS into DOSBox, downloading the github sources and using the TestLang.bat utility. But, that is kind of complex to get setup correctly. I really need to work on the wiki and manual for the installer. :-(

Re: How to rework some French translations and contribute a Turkish translation?

Mateusz Viste-4

About translations of the installer - Jerome already provided an
extensive explanation.

About the rest of the system - I'd suggest taking a look here:
http://freedoslocal.sourceforge.net/

We actually already have partial Turkish translations provided by Ercan
Ersoy, you might want to synch with him to avoid double work.

Translations are simple text files. Encoding is UTF-8 when stored on the
freedoslocal project, there's an automated script that converts all
translations to proper 8bit codepages.

If you'd like to contribute some translations, send some first work to
me, I'd provide you with a svn access to freedoslocal then.

cheers,
Mateusz