Installation

David
Hi.
I can't seem to get FreeDOS to install or create a boot disk. I've downloaded the create a boot disk image from the website but when I try to burn a cd windows says it is not a valid ISO file. Linus doen't seem to want burn a disk from it either but will write to SD card but this gives a boot error.
What am I going wrong?

David

Re: Installation

Ralf Quint
On 7/11/2017 9:45 AM, David wrote:
Hi.
I can't seem to get FreeDOS to install or create a boot disk. I've downloaded the create a boot disk image from the website but when I try to burn a cd windows says it is not a valid ISO file. Linus doen't seem to want burn a disk from it either but will write to SD card but this gives a boot error.
What am I going wrong?
Hard to tell with out a magic crystal ball.

Please be more precise in telling us exactly which image you downloaded and exactly which steps you are taking to burn it to a CD. Then we might have a chance ti figure out at exactly which step you went astray...

Ralf

Re: Installation

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
> I can't seem to get FreeDOS to install or create a boot disk. I've
> downloaded the create a boot disk image from the website but when I try to
> burn a cd windows says it is not a valid ISO file. Linus doen't seem to want
> burn a disk from it either but will write to SD card but this gives a boot
> error.
> What am I going wrong?

It depends how you are trying to install FreeDOS:

If you are trying to burn the installer to a CDROM, then you should
use the CDROM "standard" installer. Depending on your system, you
might instead need to use the CDROM "legacy" installer. Most machines
should use the standard installer, but older machines may need the
legacy installer.

You mentioned also trying to write it to an SD card. I don't know that
anyone has tested an SD card, but I suppose it would work. To write to
rewritable bootable media, we actually recommend writing the image to
a USB fob drive. For a USB fob drive, it's better to use the USB
"Full" installer or the USB "Lite" installer.

You can find links to each from http://www.freedos.org/download/

The http://www.freedos.org/download/ web page also mentions this:

The FreeDOS 1.2 distribution is available in multiple formats:

We recommend the CDROM installer for most users. The "standard" CDROM
image should work on most computers and PC emulators. Older computers
may need the "legacy" CDROM image instead.

If your computer cannot boot from CDROM, use the boot floppy. Write
this image to a floppy with Rawrite or dd, boot it, then insert the
install CDROM when the install program starts up.

If your computer doesn't have a CDROM drive, use the USB fob drive
installer. Write this to a USB fob drive and boot it to start the
install. The "Full" and "Lite" versions install the same FreeDOS, but
the "Lite" installer does not contain some extra bonus software
packages.
<<<

Jim

Re: Installation

David
Hi Ralf

I've tried 2 ways;
1) I downloaded the 'CDROM standard installer' and created a cd frok that. I tried to install on machine that it didn't matter if it over wrote the existing OS or bootloader but it produced errors in the install process and locked up.

2) to use it on main computer I downloaded the 'Boot floppy'  version to create a bootable CD. Neither Windows or Linus will write this image to a CD. Windows (7) says it is not a valid ISO and Linux just doesn't other the CD as a valid location to write to. I have had problems with writing ISO images before and windows saying they are not valid ISO images. I can write this image to a SD card but this errors on boot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
David

On 11/07/17 18:10, Ralf Quint wrote:
On 7/11/2017 9:45 AM, David wrote:
Hi.
I can't seem to get FreeDOS to install or create a boot disk. I've downloaded the create a boot disk image from the website but when I try to burn a cd windows says it is not a valid ISO file. Linus doen't seem to want burn a disk from it either but will write to SD card but this gives a boot error.
What am I going wrong?
Hard to tell with out a magic crystal ball.

Please be more precise in telling us exactly which image you downloaded and exactly which steps you are taking to burn it to a CD. Then we might have a chance ti figure out at exactly which step you went astray...

Ralf

Re: Installation

Jim Hall-2
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've tried 2 ways;
> 1) I downloaded the 'CDROM standard installer' and created a cd frok that. I tried to install on machine that it didn't matter if it over wrote the existing OS or bootloader but it produced errors in the install process and locked up.
>
> 2) to use it on main computer I downloaded the 'Boot floppy'  version to create a bootable CD. Neither Windows or Linus will write this image to a CD. Windows (7) says it is not a valid ISO and Linux just doesn't other the CD as a valid location to write to. I have had problems with writing ISO images before and windows saying they are not valid ISO images. I can write this image to a SD card but this errors on boot.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Kind regards
> David

Hi David

1)
The CDROM "standard" installer and CDROM "legacy" installer are the
only images that you can write to CDROM. If you are having problems
with the CDROM "standard" installer, then you should try the CDROM
"legacy" installer instead. The standard version works on most
machines. Some machines (notably, older PCs) need the legacy version.
The only different between standard and legacy is the boot method.

2)
The boot floppy is meant to be used *with* a CDROM, but not *as* the
CDROM. Some computers (again, usually older PCs) cannot boot from
CDROM. For these computers, you write the CDROM installer to a CDROM,
and write the boot floppy image to a floppy disk. Then boot the
computer from the floppy, then insert the install CDROM when the
install program starts up.

The boot floppy image is only meant to be written to a floppy disk. So
that's why your software says the boot floppy image is not a valid ISO
- because it isn't meant to be.

Another helpful note from my other email to you:

On 7/12/2017 8:59 AM, David wrote:
Hi Ralf

I've tried 2 ways;
1) I downloaded the 'CDROM standard installer' and created a cd frok that. I tried to install on machine that it didn't matter if it over wrote the existing OS or bootloader but it produced errors in the install process and locked up.
I asked to be precise in both the filename and the CD burning process for a reason. A lot of times, the devil is in very tiny details...
To tell us more about the errors you get might help to narrow down the actual issue you're having. And what exactly is the computer you are trying to install on? What is/was the OS running on that machine before you tried to install FreeDOS?

2) to use it on main computer I downloaded the 'Boot floppy'  version to create a bootable CD. Neither Windows or Linus will write this image to a CD. Windows (7) says it is not a valid ISO and Linux just doesn't other the CD as a valid location to write to..
Not surprising, it is named Boot FLOPPY for a reason, to clearly indicate that this is NOT an ISO image to be burned...

Ralf