Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Ercan Ersoy
Hello. I have developed another program for FreeDOS. This program is
Minibox.

Minibox provides some Linux commands for DOS.

Source code compiles by DJGPP. I suggest compressing this for UPX.

Minibox requires DPMI.

Website: https://gitlab.com/ercanersoy/Minibox

Best regards,

Ercan

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro
Re: [Freedos-devel] Linux commands in DOS - Minibox Thanks.
But looking at the source commited 20 minutes ago, it seems that no commands are yet implemented, it is only like a stub.
I am curious why it need DPMI and DJGPP for that? It is not enought Watcom C++ in 16 bit real mode?

Remitente:    Ercan Ersoy <
[hidden email]>
Destinatario:
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Fecha:        jueves, 25 de mayo de 2017, 15:25:28
Asunto:       [Freedos-devel] Linux commands in DOS - Minibox
Archivos:     <none>
--====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----===--
Hello. I have developed another program for FreeDOS. This program is
Minibox.

Minibox provides some Linux commands for DOS.

Source code compiles by DJGPP. I suggest compressing this for UPX.

Minibox requires DPMI.

Website:
https://gitlab.com/ercanersoy/Minibox

Best regards,

Ercan

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Ercan Ersoy
> But looking at the source commited 20 minutes ago, it seems that no commands
> are yet implemented, it is only like a stub.

Please read README. Also, Minibox includes commands in one executable file. (e.g. Busybox)

Command Line: minibox command [arguments]

> I am curious why it need DPMI and DJGPP for that? It is not enought Watcom C++
> in 16 bit real mode?

Because, Minibox porting for other platforms easily.

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Jim Hall-2
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ercan Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > But looking at the source commited 20 minutes ago, it seems that no commands
> > are yet implemented, it is only like a stub.
>
> Please read README. Also, Minibox includes commands in one executable file. (e.g. Busybox)
>
> Command Line: minibox command [arguments]
>
> > I am curious why it need DPMI and DJGPP for that? It is not enought Watcom C++
> > in 16 bit real mode?
>
> Because, Minibox porting for other platforms easily.

Minibox is an interesting project, but I wonder why implement
everything in one large binary, just to execute simple commands. I
know you are mimicking Busybox (above). But on a DOS system, it seems
very resource heavy to load a large exe that requires DPMI to do
commands like: (from the README)

  beep
  cat
  cd
  clear
  cp
  date
  echo
  ls
  mkdir
  mv
  pwd
  rm
  rmdir
  sh
  time

Wouldn't it be easier and more resource efficient to implement these
as small, individual programs? "cat" is not a very big program, for
example.

--

There's an interesting parallel here, and I think this would make a
good project for someone: Years ago, there was the "GNUish" project,

Info here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/gnuish/gnuish.htm

I think it would be great for someone to pick up the GNUish project
again. Port the GNU Utilities (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/) to FreeDOS
using OpenWatcom, or DJGPP. This is likely challenging, as it will
require creating wrappers for different functionality, workarounds for
other functionality that doesn't (or can't?) exist on DOS, etc.

*That* is something that would be really interesting on FreeDOS! We
already have some Unix-like programs in FreeDOS (cal, du, bc, grep,
sed, ...) and a few utilities exist at DJ Delorie's repo, but AFAIK no
one has created a comprehensive update to GNUish.

Jim

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Ralf Quint
On 5/25/2017 4:59 PM, Jim Hall wrote:

> Minibox is an interesting project, but I wonder why implement
> everything in one large binary, just to execute simple commands. I
> know you are mimicking Busybox (above). But on a DOS system, it seems
> very resource heavy to load a large exe that requires DPMI to do
> commands like: (from the README)
Well, no offense to the OP, but I think this is one clear example that
people these days don't understand (anymore) what DOS is and how it
works, and instead treat it as a second coming of Linux... :-(

Ralf

---

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Steve Nickolas-2
On Thu, 25 May 2017, Jim Hall wrote:

> Minibox is an interesting project, but I wonder why implement
> everything in one large binary, just to execute simple commands. I
> know you are mimicking Busybox (above). But on a DOS system, it seems
> very resource heavy to load a large exe that requires DPMI to do
> commands like: (from the README)
>
>  beep
>  cat
>  cd
>  clear
>  cp
>  date
>  echo
>  ls
>  mkdir
>  mv
>  pwd
>  rm
>  rmdir
>  sh
>  time
>

> Wouldn't it be easier and more resource efficient to implement these
> as small, individual programs? "cat" is not a very big program, for
> example.

This.

> There's an interesting parallel here, and I think this would make a
> good project for someone: Years ago, there was the "GNUish" project,
> which ported the GNU utilities to DOS. But eventually the project
> stalled. Before GNUish shut down, they reached out to me to mirror
> their files. You can find them here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/gnuish/
>
> Info here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/gnuish/gnuish.htm
>

> I think it would be great for someone to pick up the GNUish project
> again. Port the GNU Utilities (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/) to FreeDOS
> using OpenWatcom, or DJGPP. This is likely challenging, as it will
> require creating wrappers for different functionality, workarounds for
> other functionality that doesn't (or can't?) exist on DOS, etc.
>
> *That* is something that would be really interesting on FreeDOS! We
> already have some Unix-like programs in FreeDOS (cal, du, bc, grep,
> sed, ...) and a few utilities exist at DJ Delorie's repo, but AFAIK no
> one has created a comprehensive update to GNUish.

I think one of the last updates to GNUish was when I got a wild hair and
ported over a then-recent "cpio".  That had to be around 2000...

I've thought of doing something similar to GNUish using rewritten code
and/or BSD code but there's not much stuff that ports over without a lot
of rewriting, and back in those days I was a newcomer to C.  Maybe I
should try again.

-uso.

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Jim Hall-2
Do you mean the links from my email?

I just clicked on them again from my phone, and the links work except the ftp link. My phone doesn't like ftp, I guess.

On May 26, 2017 6:31 AM, "Mark Olesen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David McMackins
I was thinking the same thing. I've been writing my own set of UNIX
tools for DOS for personal use. I've written cat, head, wc, and split,
and I've made my own implementation of getopt which uses DOS-style flags
(begin with '/', use ':' to separate flag from argument) called
getswitch. I used WCC specifically for binary size and 16-bit
compatibility/efficiency.

Would anyone like me to publish these here in their own thread? If so,
are there any other commands that would be nice to add to them?

Only slightly related, I also wrote a utility for taking a split archive
spread across multiple diskettes, reassembling it, and unzipping it at
C:\. I made this as a backup utility for DOS games I have in case the
original diskettes fail. I can publish that as well if requested.

Happy Hacking,

David E. McMackins II
Associate Member, Free Software Foundation (#12889)
Life Member, National Rifle Association of America (#226579338)

www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com
www.gnu.org www.fsf.org

On 05/25/2017 06:59 PM, Jim Hall wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ercan Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> But looking at the source commited 20 minutes ago, it seems that no commands
>>> are yet implemented, it is only like a stub.
>>
>> Please read README. Also, Minibox includes commands in one executable file. (e.g. Busybox)
>>
>> Command Line: minibox command [arguments]
>>
>>> I am curious why it need DPMI and DJGPP for that? It is not enought Watcom C++
>>> in 16 bit real mode?
>>
>> Because, Minibox porting for other platforms easily.
>>

> Minibox is an interesting project, but I wonder why implement
> everything in one large binary, just to execute simple commands. I
> know you are mimicking Busybox (above). But on a DOS system, it seems
> very resource heavy to load a large exe that requires DPMI to do
> commands like: (from the README)
>
>   beep
>   cat
>   cd
>   clear
>   cp
>   date
>   echo
>   ls
>   mkdir
>   mv
>   pwd
>   rm
>   rmdir
>   sh
>   time
>

> Wouldn't it be easier and more resource efficient to implement these
> as small, individual programs? "cat" is not a very big program, for
> example.
>
> --
>
> There's an interesting parallel here, and I think this would make a
> good project for someone: Years ago, there was the "GNUish" project,
> which ported the GNU utilities to DOS. But eventually the project
> stalled. Before GNUish shut down, they reached out to me to mirror
> their files. You can find them here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/gnuish/
>
> Info here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/gnuish/gnuish.htm
>

> I think it would be great for someone to pick up the GNUish project
> again. Port the GNU Utilities (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/) to FreeDOS
> using OpenWatcom, or DJGPP. This is likely challenging, as it will
> require creating wrappers for different functionality, workarounds for
> other functionality that doesn't (or can't?) exist on DOS, etc.
>
> *That* is something that would be really interesting on FreeDOS! We
> already have some Unix-like programs in FreeDOS (cal, du, bc, grep,
> sed, ...) and a few utilities exist at DJ Delorie's repo, but AFAIK no
> one has created a comprehensive update to GNUish.
>

> Jim

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Joe Forster/STA
Hi guys,

> I've been writing my own set of UNIX tools for DOS for personal use.

Same here, only for Windows. :-) (Designed with portability in mind.)

> Would anyone like me to publish these here in their own thread?

Yes, please.

I realized long ago that the DOS batch syntax is so poor that you can't
do anything serious with batch files. But I knew Unix well enough to also
realize that inventing my own batch language would fire back if I wanted
to make my stuff multi-platform. Thus standard Unix and Unix-syle (but
custom) pipe stages are the best solution: batch files will not become
100% shell scripts but, at least, as similar as possible.

> If so, are there any other commands that would be nice to add to them?

I missed a few things from "tr" and it was relatively simple to
implement.

Joe
--
KOVÁCS Balázs aka Joe Forster/STA; [hidden email]; http://sta.c64.org
Don't E-mail spam, HTML or uncompressed files! More contacts on homepage

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Jim Hall-2
>> I've been writing my own set of UNIX tools for DOS for personal use.
>> Would anyone like me to publish these here in their own thread?

We have a few Unix-workalike utilities on ibiblio.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/

I think over the weekend I'll create a new directory there, so we can
collect the Unix-like utilities in one place. Might call this "unix"
or "unix-like" or "unixish", probably under
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/

I'll post a note to the list to let folks know when it's done, and
where to find it.

Jim

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Ercan Ersoy
Thanks for interesting.

I would like add abilities to Minibox. But, I don't have much time for
this. I would like someone developing.

I have cloned in GitHub.

GitHub Page:

https://github.com/ercanersoy/Minibox

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ercan Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think it would be great for someone to pick up the GNUish project
> again. Port the GNU Utilities (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/) to FreeDOS
> using OpenWatcom, or DJGPP. This is likely challenging, as it will
> require creating wrappers for different functionality, workarounds for
> other functionality that doesn't (or can't?) exist on DOS, etc.
>
> *That* is something that would be really interesting on FreeDOS! We
> already have some Unix-like programs in FreeDOS (cal, du, bc, grep,
> sed, ...) and a few utilities exist at DJ Delorie's repo, but AFAIK no
> one has created a comprehensive update to GNUish.

How many POSIX utils do you want? There are many:

* http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/utilities.html
* http://rubyquiz.com/quiz97.html

Yes, DJGPP already has lots of stuff (File-, Text-, ShellUtils ...
aka, CoreUtils).

Yes, we already have 16-bit ports for many things (sed, awk, grep).

I think some stuff is more useful than others. E.g., I'd rather have
hexdump than od, for instance.

You should try to glean some stuff from old Minix 2.0.4 sources (in
C), which have been BSD-licensed for a while now:

 src/CMD.TAZ           - Commands sources (cp, ls, mkdir, etc.)

https://minix1.woodhull.com/current/2.0.4/src/CMD.TAZ

From there it should be fairly easy to get some common things working.

Or try to borrow from Landley's Toybox (also BSD-licensed):

http://landley.net/toybox/

(But I think it's better to be specific and limit yourself on what
exactly you will need and actively use.)

Re: Linux commands in DOS - Minibox

Rugxulo
Hi again,

Just to come back to this (briefly) ....

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should try to glean some stuff from old Minix 2.0.4 sources (in
> C), which have been BSD-licensed for a while now:
>
> From there it should be fairly easy to get some common things working.
>
> Or try to borrow from Landley's Toybox (also BSD-licensed):

I was accidentally reminded of this subdir (from Garbo, remember that?):

http://www.retroarchive.org/garbo/pc/unix/index.html

Nice descriptions for each file, so that all has to help somewhat.
Right? (Obviously some stuff is redundant.)