Networking, DOSemu and taprouter

Mateusz Viste-3
Hi all,

It has been a long time now that I use DOSemu for most (if not all) of
my FreeDOS-related needs, and I'm quite happy with it.

However, I noticed that DOSemu is scary for many people when it comes to
networking, because setting it is not that much intuitive for people
lacking in-depth networking knowledge. It's really a pity, since DOSemu
provides very good networking emulation via its own embedded packet driver.

I decided to do something to make networking with DOSemy easier. Not
sure I succeeded, but here is the result of 1 day of my labor: taprouter.

taprouter is a little program that will glue together DOSemu, linux
bridging, TAP interfaces and SLIRP (the latter is not widely known by
name, but it's the piece of code that is used by QEMU, Bochs, and
probably others, to provide 'user net' support from within virtual
machines).

Anyway, taprouter is a layer 2 router/switch thing that will answer to
ARP requests, intercept IP packets, and relay traffic back and forth to
SLIRP, who will handle the tcp/udp work.

Basically, the process of getting DOSemu to talk via the network is a 3
steps procedure:
  - configure basic linux bridging
  - configure wattcp to use a specific IP address
  - launch taprouter

The advantage of the taprouter+slirp duo is that there is no need to run
anything as root, and no need to play with neither the routing table,
forwarding engine or (ip)NAT on the host machine.

taprouter, as well as explanations about how to use it, are available
for download below:

http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/software/taprouter/

Please keep in mind that this is my very first attempt, and things could
probably be better done and/or better explained. I will try to improve
the whole thing with time, if there's any interest from users. ;)

cheers,
Mateusz

Networking, DOSemu and taprouter (new version, with DHCP!)

Mateusz Viste-3
Hi!

Not sure anybody cares, but here I go :)

I spent a few hours on taprouter today, therefore I am releasing a new
version now. The biggest (most visible) change is that I wrote a DHCP
server module. This makes taprouter easier to use, because there's no
need anymore to configure manually wattcp and/or mtcp configuration
files in DOSemu - the whole IP configuration will be delivered
automatically via DHCP.

The 'official' changelog is below:

v0.51 [23 Jun 2013]:
  - Added an ARP caching mechanism, so taprouter doesn't broadcast
everything anymore,
  - Implemented a DHCP server delivering IP addresses to TAP clients,
along with proper default gateway and DNS settings.

There have been also a dozen of bugfixes here and there, that I haven't
noted down.

Download and detailed instructions available at the usual place:
http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/software/taprouter/

regards,
Mateusz

On 06/22/2013 10:56 PM, Mateusz Viste wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It has been a long time now that I use DOSemu for most (if not all) of
> my FreeDOS-related needs, and I'm quite happy with it.
>
> However, I noticed that DOSemu is scary for many people when it comes to
> networking, because setting it is not that much intuitive for people
> lacking in-depth networking knowledge. It's really a pity, since DOSemu
> provides very good networking emulation via its own embedded packet driver.
>
> I decided to do something to make networking with DOSemy easier. Not
> sure I succeeded, but here is the result of 1 day of my labor: taprouter.
>
> taprouter is a little program that will glue together DOSemu, linux
> bridging, TAP interfaces and SLIRP (the latter is not widely known by
> name, but it's the piece of code that is used by QEMU, Bochs, and
> probably others, to provide 'user net' support from within virtual
> machines).
>
> Anyway, taprouter is a layer 2 router/switch thing that will answer to
> ARP requests, intercept IP packets, and relay traffic back and forth to
> SLIRP, who will handle the tcp/udp work.
>
> Basically, the process of getting DOSemu to talk via the network is a 3
> steps procedure:
>    - configure basic linux bridging
>    - configure wattcp to use a specific IP address
>    - launch taprouter
>
> The advantage of the taprouter+slirp duo is that there is no need to run
> anything as root, and no need to play with neither the routing table,
> forwarding engine or (ip)NAT on the host machine.
>
> taprouter, as well as explanations about how to use it, are available
> for download below:
>
> http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/software/taprouter/
>

> Please keep in mind that this is my very first attempt, and things could
> probably be better done and/or better explained. I will try to improve
> the whole thing with time, if there's any interest from users. ;)
>
> cheers,
> Mateusz

Re: Networking, DOSemu and taprouter (new version, with DHCP!)

Bojan Popovic
I care. :) I don't use dosemu as often as before, but it's good to
know. I recall some problems with network slowness in dosemu, so it
might be of use if I get around.

Cheers,

Bojan.