New FAT driver under construction

Salvo Isaja
Hi there,
just to let you know I'm working at a new version of the FAT driver,
that aims to be cleaner, faster and smaller. I've included some
read-ahead capabilities per Roberto (Mariottini)'s request, and I'm now
using a much more efficient file access facility that should solve the
performance issue reported by Nils: loading command.exe through the
wrapper is almost immediate inside Bochs for me.
I have to fix some severe bugs before I commit a first read-only version
of the new driver.
Bye,
   Salvo

 Sponsor:

 Logos Finanziaria SPA. Societ? di credito ad erogazione diretta. Fino a 30.000 euro in 24 ore! Clicca e scopri come

*

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2909&d=22-5

RE: New FAT driver under construction

Hanzac Chen
Hi, Salvo

>From: Salvo Isaja Hi there,
>just to let you know I'm working at a new version of the FAT driver,
>that aims to be cleaner, faster and smaller. I've included some
>read-ahead capabilities per Roberto (Mariottini)'s request, and I'm now
>using a much more efficient file access facility that should solve the
>performance issue reported by Nils: loading command.exe through the
>wrapper is almost immediate inside Bochs for me.
>I have to fix some severe bugs before I commit a first read-only version
>of the new driver.

That's a damn good news!

BTW: I've been thinking, can we support a extended feature: supporting
the big files (bigger than 4 GB) by using a hidden dir-entry record.
For example, only big files are recorded, They have the size field which
is 64-bit width.

Since the file's data is linked clusters, it may be implemented.

Just a thought,
Hanzac

Re: New FAT driver under construction

Nils Labugt
Hi

søn, 22,.05.2005 kl. 12.05 +0200, skrev Salvo Isaja:
> Hi there,
> just to let you know I'm working at a new version of the FAT driver,
> that aims to be cleaner, faster and smaller. I've included some
> read-ahead capabilities per Roberto (Mariottini)'s request, and I'm now
> using a much more efficient file access facility that should solve the
> performance issue reported by Nils: loading command.exe through the
> wrapper is almost immediate inside Bochs for me.
> I have to fix some severe bugs before I commit a first read-only version
> of the new driver.

Great!

What about write-trough as a command line option?

Nils

On Sunday 22 May 2005 13:46, Nils Labugt wrote:
> What about write-trough as a command line option?

These are the options I plan to support from the command line:
1) long file names on/off
2) write facilities on/off
3) number of buffers per mounted volume (or KiB of buffers?) and read
ahead buffers per volume
4) synchronous writes on/off
5) mandatory locks on/off?
Moreover, all the above options will be probably available as mount
options too, so that one can chose them per volume.
Note that 4) is also available at file level, as there is an O_SYNC flag
for open.
1) and 2) will also be compile time options, as before, if you want to
turn off those features to make a smaller or safer driver.
Any addition/correction/suggestion is appreciated.

On Sunday 22 May 2005 12:37, Hanzac Chen wrote:
> BTW: I've been thinking, can we support a extended feature:
> supporting the big files (bigger than 4 GB) by using a hidden
> dir-entry record. For example, only big files are recorded, They have
> the size field which is 64-bit width.
>
> Since the file's data is linked clusters, it may be implemented.

It could work, but:
1) we would be the only ones able to read/write such format
2) other programs may complain about the new directory entries, and this
is especially sensitive for disk repair utilities
3) disk repair utilities may (and very likely will, IIRC how scandisk
behaves) also complain that the cluster chain is longer than 4 GiB and
different from the size reported in the "standard" directory entry, if
any is used
4) I don't know if there could be legal issues about arbitrary
modifications to the "FAT technology"
In general, I think we should support the plain FAT file system, and go
for better file systems since the modularity of FD32 let us to do so.
BTW, after finishing the new FAT driver I'll import the LEAN and
ISO-9660 drivers.

Bye,
   Salvo

 Sponsor:

 La palestra in casa da Oliviero.it Trovi un' ampia gamma di tapis roulant, a partire da ? 429,00!

*

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2845&d=24-5

Re: New FAT driver under construction

Nils Labugt
Hi

I'm still struggling with the newlib port, witch turns out to be more
difficult than I anticipated. I think more of the script files have to
be modified. I have written a script to automate the patching and
building, but it may take some time before I manage to get it working.

tir, 24,.05.2005 kl. 22.50 +0200, skrev Salvo Isaja:
[...]
> In general, I think we should support the plain FAT file system, and go
> for better file systems since the modularity of FD32 let us to do so.
Yeah. Reiser4 would be great... :)
> BTW, after finishing the new FAT driver I'll import the LEAN and
> ISO-9660 drivers.
I guess I should finish debugging the ATAPI/CD-ROM drivers then, and let
newlib wait.

BTW, the only header files with #include_next is limits.h and dirent.h.

Nils