Quantcast

New UHDD/UDVD2 -- A "Clarification"!

Jack-181

An important "clarification" about the new UHDD and UDVD2 --

UDVD2 is still a "CD/DVD only" driver of 2000 bytes.   It has
NO cache routines of its own, as I am aware there are "CD/DVD
only" users that desire a SMALL driver for their use!   UDVD2
still adds merely 96 bytes to "call" UHDD for caching, or 128
bytes if it now calls UHDD with its own "private" cache.

Do note that any UDVD2 or user-driver "caching" requires UHDD
to be loaded first!   UHDD is "the cache" driver, and only it
has the actual caching routines.   I got rid of UCACHE2 since
I was UNHAPPY about it "burning" an extra 1700 bytes!   (UIDE
can also handle caching calls, but nobody has ever done so).

Note also that "private" caches can be set only with BOTH the
"new" 26-Aug-2013 UHDD and the "new" 26-Aug-2013 UDVD2!   All
older UHDD/UDVD2 drivers have no "private cache" routines and
will continue to run on only the "one" UHDD cache, as before.

Users who do not desire disk/diskette handling can "minimize"
UHDD with its /N1 switch.   This saves 848 bytes, and it will
make UHDD into a small cache-only driver.   For "CD/DVD only"
or other such systems desiring only one cache, UDVD2 can omit
/N and simply run on UHDD's cache, as before.

Jack R. Ellis

Re: New UHDD/UDVD2 -- A "Clarification"!

Bernd Blaauw
Chris Evans schreef op 27-8-2013 22:51:
> Where can I get udvd2 and uhdd driver from?

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/cdrom/uide/drivers-2013-08-26.zip

as mentioned at http://www.freedos.org main page
(and http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=12984 )

Bernd

Re: New UHDD/UDVD2 -- A "Clarification"!

Jack-181

My apologies -- In my earlier E-Mail today about UDVD2/
UHDD, I meant to say:  "For 'CD/DVD only' or other such
systems desiring only one cache, UDVD2 can omit /S [not
/N] and simply run on UHDD's cache, as before."