Newlib porting

Nils Labugt
Hi

I am able to build newlib on Linux, but I haven't tested the resulting
libs. Examples of building:

$ ./patch_n_build --source-arch=../../../downloads/newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz

(or if the file is in "." or ".." just "$ ./patch_n_build" will do) or

$ ./patch_n_build --source-dir=../../../newlib/newlib-1.13.0

or see "$ ./patch_n_build --help".

A "lib" directory and a "include" directory will be created and files
copied. You should find a libc.a of between 500KB and 600KB and a libg.a
(for debugging) of more than 3MB. I have reversed some changes to io.c
made by Hanzac, but I will change it back if someone report problems (I
have forgot the reason, a conflict with a header file?)

Note to anyone who wants to add or remove source files: Makefile.in is
supposed to be generated automatically from Makefile.am with the help of
automake, but it turns out to be easier to edit manually. There is only
two lines to be modified in Makefile.in. (You should update Makefile.am
too.)

Files added to fd32/include will (if I have done things right) override
other include files with the same name. I think it will generally be
better to replace completely or create a patch for the original file
rater than using "#include_next".

An incomplete TODO list:
o fix some types (dev_t etc)
o support signal
o support as much as possible of POSIX
o fix malloc
o clock
o nanosleep?

Nils

Re: Newlib porting

Hanzac Chen-2
Hi, Nils

Nils Labugt wrote:
> A "lib" directory and a "include" directory will be created and files
> copied. You should find a libc.a of between 500KB and 600KB and a libg.a
> (for debugging) of more than 3MB. I have reversed some changes to io.c
> made by Hanzac, but I will change it back if someone report problems (I
> have forgot the reason, a conflict with a header file?)

Yes, the former code used "#define open fake_open" "#include
<sys/fcntl.h>" "#undef open" to avoide the conflict.

I fixed it by enabling the variable arguments in open function.