Quantcast

OT: What gives?

Wesley Parish
I just opened my inbox and found a pile of list emails from 2016-09-11 right up
to 2017-04-8.

Has it happened to anybody else?

Thanks

Wesley Parish

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn

Re: OT: What gives?

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:19 AM, Wesley Parish
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just opened my inbox and found a pile of list emails from 2016-09-11 right up
> to 2017-04-8.
>
> Has it happened to anybody else?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wesley Parish

Yes, it happened to me, too. (BTW, nice way to clarify about a bunch
of spam, email the list!!!)    :-P

I'm not sure why this happened. I'm not a list admin either. But I did
notice this locally and quickly emailed the sysop [sic] of the alleged
spammer, and it seems to have stopped very soon afterwards. So,
hopefully the crisis has been averted (or was only temporary) and
won't resurface.

It was probably just some technical error on someone's end.

Re: OT: What gives?

Robert Riebisch
Hi Rugxulo,

>> I just opened my inbox and found a pile of list emails from 2016-09-11 right up
>> to 2017-04-8.
>>
>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish
>
> Yes, it happened to me, too. (BTW, nice way to clarify about a bunch
> of spam, email the list!!!)    :-P
Same here.

Maybe Jim released "some" old messages from SF spam quarantine. ;-)

Robert Riebisch
--
              +++ BTTR Software +++
     Home page:  http://www.bttr-software.de/

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: OT: What gives?

Eric Auer-3

Hi guys,

apparently somebody is re-sending old freedos-user emails from
[original name of person] <[hidden email]>, using content
between mid-2016 and today. Until early 2017, you will also see
ALL CAPS original names, but they have now fixed that. Almost
of those 500 mails came out in a burst that only took half an
hour. I suggest to block that email address from list posting
and kick their mails from the archives, otherwise it will look
as if those guys are great FreeDOS contributors...

Cheers, Eric

> Hi Rugxulo,
>
>>> I just opened my inbox and found a pile of list emails from 2016-09-11 right up
>>> to 2017-04-8.
>>>
>>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Wesley Parish
>>
>> Yes, it happened to me, too. (BTW, nice way to clarify about a bunch
>> of spam, email the list!!!)    :-P
>
> Same here.
>
> Maybe Jim released "some" old messages from SF spam quarantine. ;-)
>
> Robert Riebisch

Re: OT: What gives?

Nope, want releasing old emails. Eric got it right: some email address is playing back old messages, don't know why. It's 4:45am here, so I had to do it on my phone, but I've unsubscribed the email address from the list.

The list admin interface kind of sucks from a phone, so I didn't see a way to block/ban the address in addition to unsubscribing, but I'm hoping if it's malicious that it won't start again before I'm properly awake.

On May 7, 2017 3:59 AM, "Robert Riebisch" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rugxulo,

>> I just opened my inbox and found a pile of list emails from 2016-09-11 right up
>> to 2017-04-8.
>>
>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish
>
> Yes, it happened to me, too. (BTW, nice way to clarify about a bunch
> of spam, email the list!!!)    :-P

Same here.

Maybe Jim released "some" old messages from SF spam quarantine. ;-)

Robert Riebisch
--
              +++ BTTR Software +++
     Home page:  http://www.bttr-software.de/
DOS ain't dead:  http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/

Re: OT: What gives?

Gregg Eshelman
Several hundred messages from this list, I just deleted the whole lot.

Hi Rugxulo,