OpenGEM 7 RC3 is now ready - and this should be it

OpenGEM 7 RC3 is now ready - and this should be it

Shane M. Coughlan
Hi all

The final(?) Release Candidate of OpenGEM 7 is ready and available for testing. To try it just download the zip file from the repository and unpack to the C: drive in your relevant machine while preserving directory structure. Type GEM to execute the GEM.BAT file.

The OpenGEM repository is here:
https://github.com/shanecoughlan/OpenGEM

By the way, this RC saw some big changes.
OpenGEM Release 7 RC 3 - 9th July 2017
 - Updated README.TXT and GUIDE.TXT
 - Updated GEM.BAT file (notices)
 - Updated SETUP.BAT file (notices and pause feature)
 - Updated CuteMouse driver from 1.9 to 2.1b4
 - Changed SHUTDOWN 1.2 abandonware from
   http://vetusware.com/download/SHUTDOWN%201.2/
   to SHUTDOWN 1.1 and REBOOT 1.0 from
   https://www.plop.at/en/dostools.html

If I get no feedback in the next week then I will consider the release ready and go “gold."

Regards

Shane

Re: OpenGEM 7 RC3 is now ready - and this should be it

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Shane Coughlan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The final(?) Release Candidate of OpenGEM 7 is ready and available for testing.
>
> By the way, this RC saw some big changes.
> OpenGEM Release 7 RC 3 - 9th July 2017
>  - Changed SHUTDOWN 1.2 abandonware
>    to SHUTDOWN 1.1 and REBOOT 1.0 from
>    https://www.plop.at/en/dostools.html
>
> If I get no feedback in the next week then I will consider the release ready and go “gold."

I've not looked closely at this, but I recommend that you use FDAPM
(GPL) instead:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/fdapm.html

Re: OpenGEM 7 RC3 is now ready - and this should be it

Paolo Vincenzo Olivo
Hi Shane and thanks for your work,
I've given a look to the new version, nice :).
Predictably the mouse experience is more fluid and comfortable so I can confirm you finally integrated cute mouse and OpenGEM very well. My newest Logitech mouse used to hang, block and prevented me from using GEM on desktop: Now it goes smoothly.

I noticed and was pleased that you added a couple of new features  (I used to ran release 4 or 5,  in which I had installed the addons packages with the other apps).

I think someone should eventually specify  in the readme that GEMAPPS has to be mandatory copied to C:\GEMAPPS, because if I guessed it right GEM.BAT will look in C:\GEMAPPS\GEMSYS\ for a DESKTOP.APP, which is required in order to load a working environment (otherwise you get just a white and black environment with a buggy file manager). This was something hard to figure out when I first installed GEM some years ago. Perhaps it's specified elsewhere but I didn't have the time to read all the documentation, I just did what I was used to with the previous releases.

In the readme file You mentioned a batch file (INSTALL.BAT) to be run so as to  to make the installation process (quite easy anyway XD) autonomous. Where is that supposed to be located?

Concerning power off, are you saying that you rebuilt the SHUTDOWN utility you had found  on vetusware in order to make it work from within GEM?

In that case,  as Ruxgulo pointed out, fdapm is a difficult-to-beat program; it works really well so far, and in my experience gets its job done even from inside GEM :)

Yours, cordially
P.V. Olivo
'I have a wish. It as a fear as well - that in my end will be my beginning'. [Ernesto Guevara]