PCI USB adapters - PCI SATA adapters - IDE SATA adapters

PCI USB adapters - PCI SATA adapters - IDE SATA adapters

lw3eov
Dear FreeDOS users,

Please help me with the following:

If I buy one of those cheap PCI to USB adapters on ebay, will it work in a Pentium@120Mhz using freedos or another D.O.S. version? Will I be able to boot or at least use it after booting from another device?

For a SATA hard disk for the same pentium PC: PCI to SATA adapter or IDE to SATA adapter, What is best?

Many Thanks
Regards

Marcelo

Re: PCI USB adapters - PCI SATA adapters - IDE SATA adapters

Mikkel C. Simonsen
lw3eov wrote:

> Dear FreeDOS users,
>
> Please help me with the following:
>
> If I buy one of those cheap PCI to USB adapters on ebay, will it work in a
> Pentium@120Mhz using freedos or another D.O.S. version? Will I be able to
> boot or at least use it after booting from another device?
>
> For a SATA hard disk for the same pentium PC: PCI to SATA adapter or IDE to
> SATA adapter, What is best?

IDE to SATA will generally work without problems - as long as the SATA
disk is within the size supported by the BIOS. I have upgraded many old
PCs and Macs with SSDs using IDE to SATA adapters. The general size
limit is 137GB - but could be much lower, if you have an ancient BIOS.

Best regards,

Mikkel