Questions about Kernel editions

Tom

Questions about Kernel editions

Tom
I am an E.E./Comp. Sci. student, but I want to contribute to the FreeDOS
Kernel.  Would it be fine if I began setting up a multiuser/multitasking
system like Digital Research's DOS 5, and begin the work to get Forth
into the kernel?   I am just going to make a branch to test each of
these, and if you like it then I will make a commit.  If not it will be
a short lived fork.  I have been following this project, and I would
love to see it get more attention.

  I have a Tandon 80386SX machine with 1MB of ram (hopefully getting it
up to 8MB) and rock a 5.25" drive in my main rig with modern hardware.
I don't want to see this go away just because it's "old".  I will be
doing all my tests on the Tandon while it has 1MB.  Does that sound
alright?

---

Re: Questions about Kernel editions

tom ehlert

> I am an E.E./Comp. Sci. student, but I want to contribute to the FreeDOS
> Kernel.  Would it be fine if I began setting up a multiuser/multitasking
> system like Digital Research's DOS 5, and begin the work to get Forth
> into the kernel?

the kernel is definitively not the right place
to integrate Forth into, be it multiuser or not.

there is zero disadvantage to have FORTH.EXE doing all the magic

of course feel free to experiment (thats one of the reasons open
source exists), but the the probablity that this would ever get
integrated into the FreeDOS kernel has 8 leading zero's

whenever I read emails like this, I wonder what prevents a virus from
adding such a line to its malicious postings ;)

Tom