Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ? (follow-up)

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ? (follow-up)

Eric Auer-3

Hi Jose,

very interesting detail in your SourceForge ticket reply!

> There is also a captcha that is required due to e-mail
> providers such as gmail automatically visiting links
> embeded in e-mail.

A while ago, a similar issue was noticed by German Heise
c't magazine when Skype was found to be visiting links
mentioned in chats. The companies probably call those a
feature (antivirus, security, caching, optimized ads??)
but I would just call it a very bad habit (or "trend").

It is a bit similar to a few years ago when LinkedIn
and similar sites invited users to give sites their mail
login password, so LinkedIn could harvest all contacts
and send them all some nice spam called invitations.

Or to the more modern trend where websites REQUIRE the
user to login with their facebook or similar account.

All those great ideas :-p Regards, Eric

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ? (follow-up)

Ralf Quint
On 6/20/2017 9:45 AM, Jose Antonio Senna wrote:

>   So, my conclusion is that  the confirmation page really
>  was a contrivance to keep out users of older browsers.

You don't seem to read the responses you get.

The captcha dialog, without actually showing a captcha, is a bug/quirk
on SourceForge's site. It does happen not only with older browsers, but
I just had this happen just minutes ago in Firefox 54 (on Windows
10-15063.413). Just snapping ignore it...

Ralf

---

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ? (follow-up)

Kenway, Owain

I didn't get a captcha either on Firefox 54.0 on Linux, but the form was accepted.  Something is broken at SourceForge, I guess.

Cheers,
Owain

--
/UCL/ISD/RITS/RC Applications & Support Team Leader/Owain Kenway
Twitter: @owainkenway   || E-mail: [hidden email]