Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Ralf Quint
On 6/11/2017 3:27 PM, Jose Antonio Senna wrote:
>>  Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again
>   Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
>
>  This looks like another contrivance to keep out users of old browsers.
>  ( I am using Firefox 2.0.20 for Windows98)
That happened occasionally for me as well, though on while resubscribing
but on downloads, and I am using the latest version of Firefox on
Windows 10...

>  Would someone with admin clearance in these lists
> please keep me subscribed ?

This is a general issue with SourceForge, I got this, in several emails,
for about a dozen mailing lists that I am subscribed to via SourceForge.
Nothing that anyone here (Jim) would have to do to keep you subscribed,
it's all you...

Ralf

---

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Jim Hall-2
> On 6/11/2017 3:27 PM, Jose Antonio Senna wrote:
>>>  Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again
>>   Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
[..]

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a general issue with SourceForge, I got this, in several emails,
> for about a dozen mailing lists that I am subscribed to via SourceForge.
> Nothing that anyone here (Jim) would have to do to keep you subscribed,
> it's all you...

Yes, there's nothing I can do on my end as list admin. Each subscriber
has to revalidate on their own.

I understand this is to comply with upcoming changes in data privacy
rules in the EU.

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Karen Lewellen
Actually, if you are having issues with the Captcha, create a support
ticket.
they should know it is presenting problems.
Karen

On 6/12/2017 7:05 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Actually, if you are having issues with the Captcha, create a support
> ticket.
> they should know it is presenting problems.
> Karen
Well, the problem with the ReCaptcha is that it is not a problem with
the reCaptcha...

I did not get those messages when I had to resubscribe, but on random
downloads from SourceForge, without ever being presented with a Captcha
dialog.
And as it is kind of random when those error/warning messages pop up,
and they also no impede the downloads in anyway, it's hard to reproduce
and and therefor fixable, I guess...

Ralf

---

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Eddie Anderson
Jose Antonio Senna wrote:

>   I received this message, which seems genuine:
>
>> From: "SourceForge.net"<[hidden email]>

>> Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that
>> you are  subscribed to the following project mailing lists:
>>
>>     freedos-devel
>>     freedos-user
>>
>> We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in
>> receiving emails from these SourceForge project lists.
>> If you do not confirm your subscriptions by June 29th,
>> you will be unsubscribed from the above mailing lists.
>> Please click here to confirm your subscriptions:
>>
>   https://sourceforge.net/mailman/reconfirm?

>    I followed the link,  filled the subscription confirmation form
>   on the page and submitted it,  then receivng the apge back
>   with the remark:
>
>>   Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again
>
>    Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
>
>   This looks like another contrivance to keep out users of old browsers.
>   ( I am using Firefox 2.0.20 for Windows98)
>
>   Would someone with admin clearance in these lists
> please keep me subscribed ?

To Jim Hall:

How many subscribers does each Freedos mailing list have
now?  It might be interesting to see if the number of
subscribers drops significantly after SourceForge finishes
this process.

To all:

Why would a mailing list require its subscribers to use a
web browser?  Shouldn't an email client be sufficient? After
all, people have been using mailing lists since before web
browsers (or the world wide web) existed.

And why do I have to "reconfirm"?

Years ago I sent an email in which I asked to subscribe. I
received an email which asked me to confirm my request (by
replying to that email). I sent a reply to that email.  Then
I received another email which welcomed me to the mailing list.

Wasn't that enough?

If the day comes when I want to unsubscribe, I will.  I
assume that most, if not all, subscribers are equally
capable of stopping their subscriptions if they want to.

But what if something goes`wrong?  Okay, imagine this scenario:

I stop accessing my email account (due to loss of Internet
access, change of ISP, my email provider stops providing
service in my country, death, etc.).

If that happens, then, for awhile, Freedos emails would
uselessly accumulate in my email account's Inbox.  That's a
waste of bandwidth (more wasteful than the recent flood?),
but it won't last forever because...

Presumably, my email provider will eventually suspend and/or
delete my email account due to inactivity (i.e. me not
retrieving my email anymore).

After that happens, SourceForge will start getting a bounce
msg each time that they attempt to send a Freedos email to
my defunct email account.

At that point, SourceForge can justifiably (and
unilaterally) unsubscribe my email account from the Freedos
mailing lists.

What's wrong with that process?  Haven't mailing lists
worked that way for decades?

--
Eddie

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

Karen Lewellen
Hi Eddie, others.
One reason places like sourcefordge may be taking this step has to do with
privacy and e-mail spam regulations.  Many countries  are requiring list
managers to confirm via various options, that a person wishes to remain
subscribed.
The problem, yes there is a problem with recaptcha, is that sourcefordge
is home to many lists involving open source tools and programs.  Many with
users who are not well bothering with windows 10 or something.
I stand by my first suggestion, if the captcha  fails, producing the
message, contact sourcefordge support and tell them.
When I did this, I was contacted with an apology  since indeed the captcha
does not appear in many settings.  They also  just reconfirmed my
subscription, problem solved.
Just my take,
Karen

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Eddie Anderson wrote:

> [...]
>
> If that happens, then, for awhile, Freedos emails would uselessly accumulate
> in my email account's Inbox.  That's a waste of bandwidth (more wasteful than
> the recent flood?), but it won't last forever because...
>
> Presumably, my email provider will eventually suspend and/or delete my email
> account due to inactivity (i.e. me not retrieving my email anymore).
>
> After that happens, SourceForge will start getting a bounce msg each time
> that they attempt to send a Freedos email to my defunct email account.
>
> At that point, SourceForge can justifiably (and unilaterally) unsubscribe my
> email account from the Freedos mailing lists.
>
> What's wrong with that process?  Haven't mailing lists worked that way for
> decades?
>

> --
> Eddie

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Eddie Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]
> To Jim Hall:
>
> How many subscribers does each Freedos mailing list have now?  It might be
> interesting to see if the number of subscribers drops significantly after
> SourceForge finishes this process.

The two most active lists are freedos-devel and freedos-user:

freedos-devel
222 subscribers

freedos-user
501 subscribers

Re: Would someone help me with my subscription ?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Karen Lewellen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Eddie, others.
> One reason places like sourcefordge may be taking this step has to do with
> privacy and e-mail spam regulations.  Many countries  are requiring list
> managers to confirm via various options, that a person wishes to remain
> subscribed.
[..]

Yes, I think you're right. Someone also mentioned the EU has strict
e-privacy rules, and SourceForge may be making these changes to get
in-line with those rules (SourceForge's message suggests something
like this.)

Jim