Re: freedo

12

Re: freedo

Jerome Shidel
Tom,

> what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
> SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
> windows (or any other multitasking OS).
>
> don't install this.

You are probably correct that it should load it by default.

I rem’d it out for future releases.

Jerome

Re: freedo

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]>

Tom,

> what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
> SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
> windows (or any other multitasking OS).
>
> don't install this.

You are probably correct that it should load it by default.

I remrCOd it out for future releases.

Jerome

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: freedo

dosgeek57
Why not use the CHOICE option  to let the user decide? I have a menu system which is designed to be used on a network and requires share to be loaded

IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow users to copy their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to avoid an error msg after initial installation..

From: Don Flowers <[hidden email]>

--===============4356774747921422680==

--f403045ec2c69023cc0546c19105

Why not use the CHOICE option  to let the user decide? I have a menu system
which is designed to be used on a network and requires share to be loaded

IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow users to copy
their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to avoid an error msg
after initial installation..

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> > what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
> > SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
> > windows (or any other multitasking OS).
> >
> > don't install this.
>
> You are probably correct that it should load it by default.
>
> I remrCOd it out for future releases.
>
> Jerome

--f403045ec2c69023cc0546c19105

menu system which is designed to be used on a network and requires share to be
loaded<br><br>IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow
users to copy their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to avoid an
error msg after initial installation..<br></div><div
class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21
PM, Jerome Shidel <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:[hidden email]"
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">Tom,<br>
&gt; what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?<br>
&gt; SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with<br>
&gt; windows (or any other multitasking OS).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; don&#39;t install this.<br>
I remrCOd it out for future releases.<br>
Jerome<br>
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! <a href="http://sdm.link/slashdot"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://sdm.link/slashdot</a><br>

--===============4356774747921422680==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: freedo

tom ehlert

> Why not use the CHOICE option  to let the user decide?

because 99,9 % of all user have no need for SHARE.

> I have a
> menu system which is designed to be used on a network and requires share to be loaded

are really multiple machines accessing the same files at the same
time?

> IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow users
> to copy their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to
> avoid an error msg after initial installation..

Tom

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,

 >> what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
 >> SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
 >> windows (or any other multitasking OS).
 >>
 >> don't install this.

> You are probably correct that it should load it by default.

>  I rem’d it out for future releases.

>  Jerome

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-241-79886

Re: freedo

dosgeek57
>are really multiple machines accessing the same files at the same
>time?

umm-yes as a matter of fact one upstairs and one downstairs.

From: Don Flowers <[hidden email]>

--===============6394739827726723462==

--001a113eb1aa15bc0d0546c5f10d

>are really multiple machines accessing the same files at the same
>time?

umm-yes as a matter of fact one upstairs and one downstairs.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Tom Ehlert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Why not use the CHOICE option  to let the user decide?
>
> because 99,9 % of all user have no need for SHARE.
>
> > I have a
> > menu system which is designed to be used on a network and requires share
> to be loaded
>
> are really multiple machines accessing the same files at the same
> time?
>
> > IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow users
> > to copy their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to
> > avoid an error msg after initial installation..
>
> Tom
>
> > On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Tom,
>
>  >> what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
>  >> SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
>  >> windows (or any other multitasking OS).
>  >>
>  >> don't install this.
>
> > You are probably correct that it should load it by default.
>
> >  I remrCOd it out for future releases.
>
> >  Jerome

> Mit freundlichen Gr|+|fen/Kind regards
> Tom Ehlert
> +49-241-79886

--001a113eb1aa15bc0d0546c5f10d

at the same<br>
class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 9:17
AM, Tom Ehlert <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:[hidden email]"
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=""><br>
&gt; Why not use the CHOICE option-a to let the user decide?<br>
&gt; I have a<br>
&gt; menu system which is designed to be used on a network and requires share
to be loaded<br>
time?<br>
&gt; IMHO this should be used of the FDNET option as well to allow users<br>
&gt; to copy their specific packet driver to the /FDOS/NETWORK dir to<br>
&gt; avoid an error msg after initial installation..<br>
&gt; On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jerome Shidel &lt;<a
href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Tom,<br>
-a&gt;&gt; what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?<br>
-a&gt;&gt; SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with<br>
-a&gt;&gt; windows (or any other multitasking OS).<br>
-a&gt;&gt;<br>
-a&gt;&gt; don&#39;t install this.<br>
&gt; You are probably correct that it should load it by default.<br>
&gt;-a I remrCOd it out for future releases.<br>
&gt;-a Jerome<br>
&gt;-a Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
&gt;-a engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! <a href="http://sdm.link/slashdot"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://sdm.link/slashdot</a><br>
&gt;-a ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
&gt;-a Freedos-user mailing list<br>

--===============6394739827726723462==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: freedo

Hello again,

I do agree that it makes little sense to automatically load SHARE with boot config option 2. After all, no other boot option starts SHARE. Also, only a couple situations require its use.

Mostly, those would be running a multitasking system like Windows or exporting network filesystems.

Either of these options will most likely require some hand tuning of the system configuration. So, leaving it in there but commented out is probably the best solution. A user will see it with customizing their configuration and enable it manually.

I don't think that going down the CHOICE route is how this should be handled. Would you want to encounter the following when performing an installation?

Do you want to load DOSLFN? yes/no
If no, Do you want to load LFNDOS?
Do you want to load FreeDOS High, UMB?
How many files do you want to support opening at once?
Do you want to enable hard drive caching?
Do you want to enable floppy caching?
Do you want ..........
Do you want to load SHARE?
Do you want ...........

:-)

I think it is much easier and less annoying to just hand edit the configuration afterwards.

Jerome

Re: freedo

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Tom Ehlert <[hidden email]>

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do agree that it makes little sense to automatically load SHARE with boot config option 2.
> After all, no other boot option starts SHARE. Also, only a couple situations require its use.
>
> Either of these options will most likely require some hand tuning of the system configuration.
> So, leaving it in there but commented out is probably the best solution. A user will see it with
> customizing their configuration and enable it manually.
>
> I don't think that going down the CHOICE route is how this should be handled.
>
> I think it is much easier and less annoying to just hand edit the configuration afterwards.

You forgot about this:

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/cnfigsys/question.htm

Re: freedo

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do agree that it makes little sense to automatically load SHARE with boot
config option 2.
> After all, no other boot option starts SHARE. Also, only a couple situations
require its use.

> Either of these options will most likely require some hand tuning of the
system configuration.
> So, leaving it in there but commented out is probably the best solution. A
user will see it with
> customizing their configuration and enable it manually.
>
> I don't think that going down the CHOICE route is how this should be handled.
>
> I think it is much easier and less annoying to just hand edit the
configuration afterwards.

You forgot about this:

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/cnfigsys/question.htm

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: freedo

tom ehlert
Hello again,

> Do you want to load FreeDOS High, UMB?

there is no good reason (for normal use) to have ever

    DOS=HIGH,UMB

disabled. if no HIGH or UMB memory is found, it is silently ignored.

Tom

Re: freedo

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Tom Ehlert <[hidden email]>