Rolling up from 1.1?

David McMackins
Call me a noob, but is there a preferred way to upgrade from FreeDOS 1.1
to 1.2 while keeping configurations intact? I haven't personally loaded
the new installer yet, but I wanted to check before I tried, since my
FreeDOS installation is on real hardware.

Happy Hacking,

David E. McMackins II
Associate Member, Free Software Foundation (#12889)
Life Member, National Rifle Association of America (#226579338)

www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com
www.gnu.org www.fsf.org

Re: Rolling up from 1.1?

Jerome Shidel

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 4:57 PM, David McMackins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Call me a noob, but is there a preferred way to upgrade from FreeDOS 1.1
> to 1.2 while keeping configurations intact? I haven't personally loaded
> the new installer yet, but I wanted to check before I tried, since my
> FreeDOS installation is on real hardware.

As with any OS update, it is always a good idea for you to manually backup your system and important files first.

That being said...

Make sure you have lots of free drive space.

The installer will make a copy of your config files and old DOS directory (if it will conflict with the new install). It will then, clean out the old DOS directory, only keeping non-conflicting package data files. Then it will do the install.

Since the installer makes a backup of all that stuff, You can copy back any files you may need.

Re: Rolling up from 1.1?

Also, if you run the installer in advanced mode.

You can choose not to replace your config files, use zip to backup and other stuff. But, generally I recommend just running the install in normal mode.

If you quit the installer and run it as "setup adv" , it will run in advanced mode. You can also switch in/out of advanced mode at any question prompt, by pressing CTRL+C instead of selecting an option.

Re: Rolling up from 1.1?

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]>

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 4:57 PM, David McMackins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Call me a noob, but is there a preferred way to upgrade from FreeDOS 1.1
> to 1.2 while keeping configurations intact? I haven't personally loaded
> the new installer yet, but I wanted to check before I tried, since my
> FreeDOS installation is on real hardware.

As with any OS update, it is always a good idea for you to manually backup your
system and important files first.

That being said...

Make sure you have lots of free drive space.

The installer will make a copy of your config files and old DOS directory (if
it will conflict with the new install). It will then, clean out the old DOS
directory, only keeping non-conflicting package data files. Then it will do the
install.

Since the installer makes a backup of all that stuff, You can copy back any
files you may need.

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Rolling up from 1.1?

Karen Lewellen-2