Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

William Dudley
Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

1.2 is too new for there to be anything in the mailing list archives on this.

I never got networking going in the previous FreeDOS release.  Getting files
in and out (especially out) of the VM is like pulling teeth.

Thanks,
Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

Jerome Shidel

> On Dec 25, 2016, at 4:57 PM, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

No guide needed under VirtualBox

Install the FDNET package and reboot.

If you downloaded a CD version and did a FULL (not BASE) install, just:

1) boot the VM
2) attach the FreeDOS 1.2 CD
3) run FDIMPLES
4) Select FDNET under the networking group and pick OK.
5) reboot.

Done.

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

regan
Hello Bill,

Using Freedos 1.2 and Virtual box Version 5.1.10 r112026 (Qt5.6.2)

When I installed Freedos, I installed the standard CD image, I got a second disk path D:
I did this:
cd C:\fdos\bin
dir D:\net
C:
rem foreach package in the directory listing I did (each package) becomes each zip file.
fdinstall install d:\net\(each package).zip
fdinstall install d:\net\(each package).zip
fdinstall install d:\net\(each package).zip
fdinstall install d:\net\(each package).zip
reboot

To test this I did the following..

I did a wget mySAN\filepath
eg:
wget 192.168.0.171:/unix/algol.txt

... and it just worked.

I have the entire turbo gameworks, turbo pascal, turbo this-or-that toolbox on 5.25" floppies somewhere.. ;-) ... BTW, I won a Xeon Phi as a university prize but I have nothing to put it in, so it sits in the packaging, whats the deal with the Phi thing in your signature?

Regan

William Dudley wrote
Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

1.2 is too new for there to be anything in the mailing list archives on
this.

I never got networking going in the previous FreeDOS release.  Getting files
in and out (especially out) of the VM is like pulling teeth.

Thanks,
Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

Abe Mishler
Bill,

Earlier this summer, one of the many helpful people here pointed out
that the VHD format can be mounted directly by Windows. You can probably
find a guide for doing something similar on Linux with whatever format
you have chosen. The VM of course needs to be off while mounted by the
host so this method may not be as convenient as networking. But I
thought I would mention it as a possibility.

Best,
Abe

On 12/25/2016 4:57 PM, William Dudley wrote:

> Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?
>
> 1.2 is too new for there to be anything in the mailing list archives on
> this.
>
> I never got networking going in the previous FreeDOS release.  Getting files
> in and out (especially out) of the VM is like pulling teeth.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Dudley
>
> This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

> Training and support from Colfax.
> Order your platform today.http://sdm.link/intel

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

William Dudley
Abe,

Running Linux, so Windows ability to mount VHD is not useful.

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Abe Mishler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bill,

Earlier this summer, one of the many helpful people here pointed out
that the VHD format can be mounted directly by Windows. You can probably
find a guide for doing something similar on Linux with whatever format
you have chosen. The VM of course needs to be off while mounted by the
host so this method may not be as convenient as networking. But I
thought I would mention it as a possibility.

Best,
Abe

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

William Dudley
Regan,

Where is the "fdinstall" program?  I cannot find one on my FreeDOS install.

When I do "dir /s fdinstall.exe" I get "File not found.".  Ditto for "fdinstall.com".

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM, regan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jerome,

When I try this, I see this on screen after selecting "OK":

install d:\net\fdnet.zip  (white text on blue)
Aborted.
C:\>

If I type "install", I get 'bad command or filename - "install".'

From where does the "install" program come?

dir /s install.exe returns "File not found."  Ditto for "install.com".

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2016, at 4:57 PM, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

No guide needed under VirtualBox

Install the FDNET package and reboot.

If you downloaded a CD version and did a FULL (not BASE) install, just:

1) boot the VM
2) attach the FreeDOS 1.2 CD
3) run FDIMPLES
4) Select FDNET under the networking group and pick OK.
5) reboot.

Done.

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

William Dudley
Ah-hah.  Nothing works if you have switchar='-'.

NOW, fresh boot, FDIMPLE manages to install FDNET package.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2016, at 4:57 PM, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

No guide needed under VirtualBox

Install the FDNET package and reboot.

If you downloaded a CD version and did a FULL (not BASE) install, just:

1) boot the VM
2) attach the FreeDOS 1.2 CD
3) run FDIMPLES
4) Select FDNET under the networking group and pick OK.
5) reboot.

Done.

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

Jerome Shidel
Made a quick YouTube video of doing a VirtualBox install and how to add networking support.

https://youtu.be/k0sP1VAo0D8

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

William Dudley
Jerome,

Thanks, that was useful.  It would be better if it also discussed the settings
needed in VirtualBox.  I figured it out eventually but it took me a bit of googling
to figure out.

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Made a quick YouTube video of doing a VirtualBox install and how to add networking support.

https://youtu.be/k0sP1VAo0D8

Re: Simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?

Jerome Shidel
William,

> On Dec 26, 2016, at 12:16 PM, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jerome,
>
> Thanks, that was useful.  It would be better if it also discussed the settings
> needed in VirtualBox.  I figured it out eventually but it took me a bit of googling
> to figure out.
>
> Bill Dudley

I’m glad you found it useful.

When it comes to settings, I’ve mostly just be using the ones that VirtualBox defaults to when installing DOS.

Jerome

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 3:57 PM, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a simple guide for networking FreeDOS 1.2 in a VirtualBox VM ?
>
> 1.2 is too new for there to be anything in the mailing list archives on
> this.
>
> I never got networking going in the previous FreeDOS release.  Getting files
> in and out (especially out) of the VM is like pulling teeth.

First of all, networking is not necessarily directly related to
getting files to/from virtual media. Not counting mount / loopback (or
whatever it's called), you can copy files to/from virtual disks
(off-line) with various tools, e.g. GNU Mtools (which are, of course,
well-supported under GNU/Linux):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mtools

Just extracting a file from a virtual disk is even easier. You can use
WinImage dude's EXTRACT or even 7-Zip's 7z to extract from floppy
.img. Plus, 7-Zip's 7z also supports .vhd (and others).

While .vhd is not well-supported under Linux (unlike Win7), you can
indeed use VBox or QEMU to mount / boot it, which (maybe??) should be
even easier to later access with host integration tools (Linux shared
folders).

But as far as the traditional networking goes, for sharing files it
has been suggested to use mTCP's FTPSRV:

http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_6

But do not get your hopes up too high for DOS networking. While there
is some limited support, expecting a full HTML5 stack with Javascript
is definitely expecting too much. There are also SSH2 tools, but I
don't know how well they work. Same with e-mail clients and the like.
It's not necessarily worth assuming perfect stability there. Don't
expect too much. We're lucky that both FTP and HTTPS even halfway work
sometimes. Expecting everything modern from SAMBA to GnuPG to whatever
else isn't going to end well.