Slashdot - Boot Linux (or OpenBSD Or Oberon Or FreeDOS) In Your Browser

Slashdot - Boot Linux (or OpenBSD Or Oberon Or FreeDOS) In Your Browser

Geraldo Netto
Dear Friends,

This is really cool!!!

Long-time Slashdot reader DeQueue writes:Back in 2011 Fabrice Bellard, the initiator of the QEMU emulator, wrote a PC emulator in JavaScript that let you boot Linux in your browser. But he didn't stop there.

On his website he now has images that let you boot Oberon, Arch Linux, FreeDOS, OpenBSD, Solar OS and more recent versions of Linux such as 2.6 or 3.18 (the 3.18 image includes internet access). You can also boot to a CD image, or a floppy image, or a hard drive disk image on your local machine. And, if you don't need yet another operating system on your computer, you can even boot to Bootchess and play chess

original story:
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/09/26/053253/boot-linux-or-openbsd-or-oberon-or-freedos-in-your-browser

demo:
http://copy.sh/v86/

Kind Regards,

Geraldo Netto
Sapere Aude => Non dvcor, dvco
http://exdev.sf.net/

Re: Slashdot - Boot Linux (or OpenBSD Or Oberon Or FreeDOS) In Your Browser

Jim Hall-2
On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Geraldo Netto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> This is really cool!!!
>[...]
> original story:
> https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/09/26/053253/boot-linux-or-openbsd-or-oberon-or-freedos-in-your-browser
>
> demo:
> http://copy.sh/v86/

I'm very excited about v86 too! :-)

I'm never sure how much of these to post as news items on the website.
So I shared this to our twitter instead:

https://twitter.com/FreeDOS_Project

https://twitter.com/FreeDOS_Project/status/780451348219174913
https://twitter.com/FreeDOS_Project/status/780452006078971904

We already linked to v86 on our Links page
(http://www.freedos.org/links/) as well as a few other browser-based
virtual machines that run FreeDOS. Running a FreeDOS virtual PC in a
web browser is a great way for new users to "experiment" with FreeDOS
(give it a "test run") before committing to installing it. Of course
the down-side to running FreeDOS only in a web browser virtual PC is
that you don't save your state. So if you make any new files (where
allowed by the web VM) they won't be there when you reboot. But that
may be good enough to convince a new user to download and install the
full FreeDOS (probably to play a classic DOS game or run an older DOS
application).

Somewhat related: I was at the LAS GNOME conference last week, and met
someone who runs FreeDOS almost every day to do his writing. Inspired
by George R.R. Martin's use of an MS-DOS computer running Wordstar to
write his 'Game of Thrones' books, this person boots FreeDOS and runs
a similar word processor to do his writing. He said he finds it helps
reduce distraction. (GRRM says his DOS computer is only for writing,
and he has another computer to do email and other Internet stuff.)

Jim

Re: Slashdot - Boot Linux (or OpenBSD Or Oberon Or FreeDOS) In Your Browser

dmccunney
On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Somewhat related: I was at the LAS GNOME conference last week, and met
> someone who runs FreeDOS almost every day to do his writing. Inspired
> by George R.R. Martin's use of an MS-DOS computer running Wordstar to
> write his 'Game of Thrones' books, this person boots FreeDOS and runs
> a similar word processor to do his writing. He said he finds it helps
> reduce distraction. (GRRM says his DOS computer is only for writing,
> and he has another computer to do email and other Internet stuff.)

I know George and his wife Parris, and first met George in the 70's
when he was just beginning his writing career, and running chess
tournaments for a living.  (He griped back when that he was unlikely
to advance from Expert to Master rating, because he was too busy
running tournaments to compete in them.)

He's not the only SF/F writer I know who is a WordStar fan.  Hugo
winner Robert Sawyer still uses WprdStar 7 for composition, and has
extensive info on his web site on how to run WS 7 under 64 bit
Windows, using the vDOS fork of the open source DOSBox package, which
is specifically intended for running character mode business apps.
SF/Fantasy writer Elizabeth Moon learned on WordStar.  She uses MS
Word these days because editors expect Word documents as submission
drafts, and use Word's Track Changes feature for line edits and
revisions, but she'll boot WordStar when she's having problems with a
book because the familiar environment reduces friction and makes
composition easier.

I have VDE, a WordStar compatible editor, up under Linux using DOSBox,
and on my Android tablet using an Android port of DOSBox.  (I have and
can run WS7, but prefer VDE.)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519