Turkish F Keyboard Support

Ercan Ersoy

Hi. We have problem to using Turkish F keyboard on FreeDOS. MODE gives uncompressing and loading CPX file error. KEYB gives tr440 layout doesn't contain on KEYB2.SYS.

We need help for this.

A part of CONFIG.SYS file for Turkish locale:

SET LANG=TR

90,857,COUNTRY.SYS

A part of AUTOEXEC.BAT filefor Turkish locale:

LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
MODE CON CP PREP=((857) EGA.CPX)
LH MODE CON CP SEL=857
LH KEYB TR440,,KEYBRD2.SYS

Best regards.

Ercan Ersoy.

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Eric Auer-3

Hi Ercan,

> Hi. We have problem to using Turkish F keyboard on FreeDOS.
> MODE gives uncompressing and loading CPX file error.
> KEYB gives tr440 layout doesn't contain on KEYB2.SYS.

The MODE error is because you try to LH MODE: Do not use LH
for this, MODE needs enough memory to uncompress the CPX and
that only works without LH unless you have a lot of space in
your UMB. Do not worry: MODE does not stay in RAM, so there
are no negative effects of dropping LH from the MODE line.

Cheers, Eric

PS: You can also rename EGA.CPX to EGA.COM, then decompress
it with UPX -d EGA.COM, then rename it to EGA.CPI to get the
classic uncompressed CPI file format if you prefer that :-)

> SET LANG=TR
> 90,857,COUNTRY.SYS

(without the line break, I hope?)

> LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
> MODE CON CP PREP=((857) EGA.CPX)
> LH MODE CON CP SEL=857
> LH KEYB TR440,,KEYBRD2.SYS

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Eric Auer-3

Sorry about the double mail but I found another problem:

>> LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)

>> MODE CON CP PREP=((857) EGA.CPX)

You may have MODE in your PATH, but you forgot to specify
the full name of EGA.CPX, for example c:\freedos\cpi\ega.cpx
or c:\fdos\bin\ega.cpx or similar - depending on your DOS.

Alternatively, you can switch to the directory before you
run MODE, with the usual "C:" and "CD \freedos\cpi\" or
"CDD C:\freedos\cpi\" or simply "CD \freedos\cpi\" if you
do not need to change to another drive letter.

>> LH MODE CON CP SEL=857

As mentioned above, it is better to not use LH for MODE.

>> LH KEYB TR440,,KEYBRD2.SYS

You may want to load KEYB without LH and/or use the /NOHI
option of KEYB. You probably also want to specify the exact
location of the KEYBRD2.SYS file, including directory, but
I am not sure whether "TR440" is the correct name for your
intended layout...

Regards, Eric

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Ercan Ersoy

Thanks. But, I haven't error for CPX file and MODE. Sorry for my mistake. Only, I have error on KEYB. I get this error: "Specified file does not contain information for this layout/id". And I try KEYBOARD.SYS, KEYBRD3.SYS and KEYBRD4.SYS again, still I gave same error.

Best regards.

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Eric Auer-3

Hi Ercan, looking at

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/kpdos.htm and
http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/keyb.htm

you probably just used the wrong syntax. You want to use:

KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS /ID:440

So the country is only "TR" while the ID of the layout
variant 440 has to be given as separate /ID:440 option.

Cheers, Eric

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Ercan Ersoy

Hi. The syntax that you suggested for Turkish F keyboard works. Thanks for helping.

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Henrique Peron
Hello all,

I don't know about memory issues; in what regards the keyboard layout,
the alternatives are:

KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS (for the QWERTY turkish keyboard layout)
KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS /ID:440 (for the FGĞIOD turkish keyboard layout)

Both layouts are able to work with turkish codepages CP3846 ("turkish
CP437"), CP853 and CP857, as well as CP850 and CP858 for IBM/MS-DOS
compatibility reasons, even though none of these 2 codepages provide
turkish letters.

CP3846 is available on EGA18.CPI; all the others are available on EGA.CPI.

Last but not least --- if there's intention to print data, it's
important to check the printer's documentation on what concerns
codepages. I have picked the definition "CP3846" related to the "turkish
cp437 variation" after browsing an old dot-matrix printer's PDF which I
found on the internet long time ago but I take the opportunity here to
ask for a more suitable (e.g. 3-digit code) for such codepage, if there
is one.

Regards,
Henrique

Em 24/09/2016 13:04, Eric Auer escreveu:

> Sorry about the double mail but I found another problem:
>
>>> LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
>>> MODE CON CP PREP=((857) EGA.CPX)
> You may have MODE in your PATH, but you forgot to specify
> the full name of EGA.CPX, for example c:\freedos\cpi\ega.cpx
> or c:\fdos\bin\ega.cpx or similar - depending on your DOS.
>
> Alternatively, you can switch to the directory before you
> run MODE, with the usual "C:" and "CD \freedos\cpi\" or
> "CDD C:\freedos\cpi\" or simply "CD \freedos\cpi\" if you
> do not need to change to another drive letter.
>
>>> LH MODE CON CP SEL=857
> As mentioned above, it is better to not use LH for MODE.
>
>>> LH KEYB TR440,,KEYBRD2.SYS
> You may want to load KEYB without LH and/or use the /NOHI
> option of KEYB. You probably also want to specify the exact
> location of the KEYBRD2.SYS file, including directory, but
> I am not sure whether "TR440" is the correct name for your
> intended layout...
>
> Regards, Eric

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Support

Rugxulo

Saluton,

On Oct 1, 2016 5:18 PM, "Henrique Peron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS (for the QWERTY turkish keyboard layout)
> KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS /ID:440 (for the FGĞIOD turkish keyboard layout)
>
> Regards,
> Henrique

I was wondering if/when you would chime in (as the obvious resident expert). Always glad to hear from you, and I hope you're doing well.   :-)