UIDE.SYS

Ercan Ersoy

Hi. I'm a developed FreeDOS live cd. I want to my live cd has native SATA support. But my live CD doesn't support. I laboured UIDE.SYS native SATA support on my live cd. I can't my live cd supported native SATA. Tested on Oracle VirtualBox and real hardware. But UIDE.SYS driver legacy PATA supports very well.

I would like help for this. How I can configure CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

A part of CONFIG.SYS of my live CD's boot floppy image:

DEVICE=XMGR.SYS
DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP1
DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP2

A part of AUTOEXEC.BAT of my live CD's boot floppy image:

SHSUCDX /~ /D:OP1

Thanks for replies.

Re: UIDE.SYS

Eric Auer-3

Hi Ercan,

if I understand you correctly, then the problem is not
with the harddisk but with CD / DVD / BluRay? Then you
may want to use the more specific UDVD2 driver instead.

Note that for live CD, you can also often use the tiny
ELTORITO driver because after booting from CD, you get
temporary BIOS support for easy CD access.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/ellis/

Newer improved, closed source drivers, on mail request:

http://optimizr.dyndns.org/

I could not find a nice link for ELTORITO.SYS, but check

www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/syslinux/

as that may have useful information...? Original site for
the driver was http://www.nu2.nu/eltorito/ which is gone.

Regards, Eric

PS: Rugxulo, Jim, please make eltorito.sys easier to find!

> DEVICE=XMGR.SYS
> DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP1
> DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP2
>
> SHSUCDX /~ /D:OP1

Re: UIDE.SYS

dosgeek57
If you are inquiring about the AHCI SATA driver, I have an Acer Aspire and this is the only driver that gives me Drive Letter Access (DLA) :
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=wk_61401_1#tab2

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ercan,

if I understand you correctly, then the problem is not
with the harddisk but with CD / DVD / BluRay? Then you
may want to use the more specific UDVD2 driver instead.

Note that for live CD, you can also often use the tiny
ELTORITO driver because after booting from CD, you get
temporary BIOS support for easy CD access.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/ellis/

Newer improved, closed source drivers, on mail request:

http://optimizr.dyndns.org/

I could not find a nice link for ELTORITO.SYS, but check

www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/syslinux/

as that may have useful information...? Original site for
the driver was http://www.nu2.nu/eltorito/ which is gone.

Regards, Eric

PS: Rugxulo, Jim, please make eltorito.sys easier to find!

> DEVICE=XMGR.SYS
> DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP1
> DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP2
>
> SHSUCDX /~ /D:OP1

Ynt: UIDE.SYS

Ercan Ersoy

Thanks, but I can't FreeDOS to supported SATA. UDVD2 didn't work. Also, I develop a live cd that for GPLv2+ licensing, I wouldn't close source drivers. I using UIDE.SYS for SATA driver, this driver again and this fails error are "Disks run the BIOS: 1". Please, I would help for this.

Thanks for replies.

Gönderildi: 21 Eylül 2016 Çarşamba 13:28:19
Kime: [hidden email]
Konu: UIDE.SYS

Hi. I'm a developed FreeDOS live cd. I want to my live cd has native SATA support. But my live CD doesn't support. I laboured UIDE.SYS native SATA support on my live cd. I can't my live cd supported native SATA. Tested on Oracle VirtualBox and real hardware. But UIDE.SYS driver legacy PATA supports very well.

I would like help for this. How I can configure CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

A part of CONFIG.SYS of my live CD's boot floppy image:

DEVICE=XMGR.SYS
DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP1
DEVICE=UIDE.SYS /D:OP2

A part of AUTOEXEC.BAT of my live CD's boot floppy image:

SHSUCDX /~ /D:OP1

Thanks for replies.

Re: UIDE.SYS

dmccunney
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I could not find a nice link for ELTORITO.SYS, but check
>
> www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/syslinux/
>
> as that may have useful information...? Original site for
> the driver was http://www.nu2.nu/eltorito/ which is gone.

The eltorito site is still available through archive.org.  See
https://web.archive.org/web/20150922034605/http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=eltorito14.zip
for download links.

> Regards, Eric
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Re: UIDE.SYS

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that for live CD, you can also often use the tiny
> ELTORITO driver because after booting from CD, you get
> temporary BIOS support for easy CD access.
>
> I could not find a nice link for ELTORITO.SYS, but check
>
> www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/syslinux/
>
> as that may have useful information...? Original site for
> the driver was http://www.nu2.nu/eltorito/ which is gone.
>
> PS: Rugxulo, Jim, please make eltorito.sys easier to find!

syslinux-6.03.zip (from iBiblio above) does have eltorito.sys (and
*.asm for NASM), 1554 bytes, calling itself version "1.5".

Is that what you meant? So you want someone to put a README telling
people that it contains "eltorito.sys"? By itself that's not much
help, is it?

Quoting the SysLinux wiki:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=MEMDISK

"
MEMDISK and generic El Torito CD-ROM driver for DOS
If you're using MEMDISK to boot DOS from a CD-ROM (using ISOLINUX),
you might find the generic El Torito CD-ROM driver (eltorito.sys) by
Gary Tong and Bart Lagerweij useful. It is now included with the
Syslinux distribution, in the dosutil directory. See the file
dosutil/eltorito.txt for more information.

Example usage of eltorito.sys in CONFIG.SYS:

device=eltorito.sys /X:MSCD0001

Corresponding MSCDEX command which can be placed in AUTOEXEC.BAT:

MSCDEX /X:MSCD0001 /L:X

Where X is the drive letter.
"