Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Jim Hall-2
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a few Unix-workalike utilities on ibiblio.
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/
>
> I think over the weekend I'll create a new directory there, so we can
> collect the Unix-like utilities in one place. Might call this "unix"
> or "unix-like" or "unixish", probably under
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/
>
> I'll post a note to the list to let folks know when it's done, and
> where to find it.

I have arranged some things on ibiblio to collect the Unix workalike
utilities into one directory. I have put them here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/

If I missed something on ibiblio that didn't get moved and should
have, please let me know.

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Jerome Shidel

> On May 29, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We have a few Unix-workalike utilities on ibiblio.
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/
>>
>> I think over the weekend I'll create a new directory there, so we can
>> collect the Unix-like utilities in one place. Might call this "unix"
>> or "unix-like" or "unixish", probably under
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/
>>
>> I'll post a note to the list to let folks know when it's done, and
>> where to find it.
>

> I have arranged some things on ibiblio to collect the Unix workalike
> utilities into one directory. I have put them here:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/
>

> If I missed something on ibiblio that didn't get moved and should
> have, please let me know.

du
grep
less
sleep
xgrep

And maybe nro

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> du
> grep
> less
> sleep
> xgrep
>
> And maybe nro

'nro' is already there, under the 'nroff' directory.

I totally missed 'du' and 'xgrep'. I'll move that when I'm back at my
usual computer.

I didn't see the others on ibiblio already. Do we already have DOS
versions of grep, less, and sleep on ibiblio?

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Jerome Shidel

> On May 30, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> On May 29, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have arranged some things on ibiblio to collect the Unix workalike
>>> utilities into one directory. I have put them here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/
>>>

>>> If I missed something on ibiblio that didn't get moved and should
>>> have, please let me know.
>
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> du
>> grep
>> less
>> sleep
>> xgrep
>>
>> And maybe nro
>
> 'nro' is already there, under the 'nroff' directory.
>
> I totally missed 'du' and 'xgrep'. I'll move that when I'm back at my
> usual computer.
>
> I didn't see the others on ibiblio already. Do we already have DOS
> versions of grep, less, and sleep on ibiblio?

Don’t know if they are mirrored. But, they are packages for them in the repo.

Let me take a look…………….

grep and some others are under simtel gnuish mirror, so probably should leave them put and just make a gnuish symlink in there.

Don’t see any raw files for sleep. But, the main site is still up. So, I fetch it and put the raw file(s) in the unix folder.

Now, I’ve noticed some of these packages have old/outdated URLS in them that need updated. More to do…

Jerome

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On May 30, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> du
>>> grep
>>> less
>>> sleep
>>> xgrep
>>
>> I totally missed 'du' and 'xgrep'. I'll move that when I'm back at my
>> usual computer.
>>
>> I didn't see the others on ibiblio already. Do we already have DOS
>> versions of grep, less, and sleep on ibiblio?
>

> Don’t know if they are mirrored. But, they are packages for them in the repo.

Apparently Grep and Less are older (16-bit) versions (circa 1995, use
switch "-V"): "less 291" and "GNU grep 2.0". (I had mistakenly thought
they were newer DJGPP versions.)

The other three were listed in the old (pre-1.2) Software List under "UTIL":

http://web.archive.org/web/20161120103302/http://www.freedos.org:80/software/?cat=util

* du 1.0
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/disk/du10x.zip
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/disk/du10s.zip
(N.B. from 1994, so no FAT32 support, written in Borland C)

* sleep 1.0
(broken link, already moved? well, formerly it was here)
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/user/sleep1.zip
(mirror download)
http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/freedos/files/util/user/sleep1.zip
(N.B. from 2000, written in Turbo Pascal)

* xgrep 1.03
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/xgrep/xgrp103x.zip
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/xgrep/xgrp103s.zip
(N.B. from 1994, written in MASM)

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Jim Hall-2
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]
> The other three were listed in the old (pre-1.2) Software List under "UTIL":
[..]

Thanks! I missed these when I organized things. I'll move du and
xgrep. I'd already moved sleep:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro
With the recent announcement of FAST being empowered by FreeDOS, and the interest on porting some UNIX utilities to DOS, I decided to combine both.
Since current UPTIME v7.02 by Mark Aitchison is written in Turbo Pascal, I tried to do an approach in fast. It is still WIP, and not yet as complete as the other, but it is a mere COM file of 1.077 bytes, while the current version is 49.746.

What I like of my approach, is storing initial startup time on the CMOS, using the unused alarm records, which is by far more efficient than storing a file.

Hope you like the idea. Next steps will be parsing the command-line to allow output in different formats, and try to mimic format such as:
08:11:22 up 146 days, 34 min, 3 users, load average: 0.28, 0.45, 0.38

Once more complete, I will upload to my Sourceforge page: https://www.sourceforge.net/projects/nikkhokkho

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]
> The other three were listed in the old (pre-1.2) Software List under "UTIL":
[..]

> * du 1.0
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/disk/du10x.zip
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/disk/du10s.zip
>
> * sleep 1.0
> (broken link, already moved? well, formerly it was here)
>
> * xgrep 1.03
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/xgrep/xgrp103x.zip
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/xgrep/xgrp103s.zip

Thanks! I missed these when I organized things. I'll move du and
xgrep. I'd already moved sleep:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Bret
> What I like of my approach, is storing initial startup time
> on the CMOS, using the unused alarm records, which is by
> far more efficient than storing a file.

A couple of things to note.  First of all, you use the CMOS clock for your time stamps, which doesn't even exist on old computers (real or emulated computers with 8086/8088 CPU's).  So, your program needs to check to make sure the computer actually has a CMOS -- you can't just (safely) assume that it does.

Also, you can't just assume that the CMOS alarm space never gets used.  I've used the CMOS alarm functions in some of my programs.  I will admit that the CMOS alarms are rarely used, but assuming they NEVER get used is simply unrealistic.

You really need to use the BIOS clock rather than the CMOS clock, since it exists on all computers.  Also, if you don't want to use a file (which is probably a good idea), you can get by with using only a small amount of "regular" memory (conventional, upper, or high).  You could get by with just two paragraphs of memory (32 bytes) -- one paragraph for the DOS Memory Control Block and one paragraph where you can store your data.

Donald Trump's Insane Wealth in 30 Pictures
viralrecall.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/59303d5a174803d59534bst01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Bret Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > What I like of my approach, is storing initial startup time
> > on the CMOS, using the unused alarm records, which is by
> > far more efficient than storing a file.
>
> if you don't want to use a file (which is probably a good idea), you can get by with using
> only a small amount of "regular" memory (conventional, upper, or high).

Why not just "touch" your .COM file itself (argv[0], DOS 3+) when run?

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Bret
> Why not just "touch" your .COM file itself (argv[0], DOS 3+)
> when run?

Because you don't know when you're supposed to touch it and when you aren't.  You only want to touch it the first time it is run after a reboot, and you can't (automatically) tell when a reboot just happened without referencing something you've stored in memory (it can't be done with something stored on a hard drive or something somebody else stored in memory).  You could put the onus on the user to tell the program when to do (or not do) the touch with command-line options, which I think is what you may be referring to with the argv.  But, even that won't work if the file is read-only (either with file attributes or read-only media, like a CD or write-protected floppy).

Police Urge Americans to Carry This With Them at All Times
The Observer
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/593050a7e9ef850a7695est03vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Jerome Shidel

Here is another idea.

 (Which I don't like and probably wouldn't use. Just an off the top of my head idea)

Set a Boot time stamp in the parent / topmost environment table. Save the current clock ticks (55ms interval) in something like UPTIME=0x1234568

it's not that difficult to find the parent env.

Fast Compiler manual

Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro
Fast Compiler manual Does anyone know where to obtain the FAST reference manual, that was sent when registering the program?

It is a bit tedious trying to figure its capabilities by looking at the source code.

Re: Fast Compiler manual

Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro
Re: Fast Compiler manual Just if anyone is interested, I was able to find old HLP files with Fast 2.61. A pitty they are not updated to 2.92.

Remitente:    Bitácora de Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro <
[hidden email]>
Destinatario: Technical discussion and questions for FreeDOS developers. <
[hidden email]>
Fecha:        viernes, 2 de junio de 2017, 9:00:56
Asunto:       Fast Compiler manual
Archivos:     <none>
Does anyone know where to obtain the FAST reference manual, that was sent when registering the program?

It is a bit tedious trying to figure its capabilities by looking at the source code.

Re: Unix-like utilities for FreeDOS

Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro
If anyone is interested, I have release UPTIME 1.00 and UPTIME 1.10. But also, just published UPTIME 2.00, totally rewritten from FAST to ASM.

You can find them at, including full source-code at:

Regards.