Quantcast

What is Error 3 on Freedos installer?

Isaac D. Cohen
Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeDos 1.1 on a computer of mine, but when it gets to the point where it's installing the FreeDos Command Shell it always gives me a message that says "Warning: Error 3 Occurred. Press any key to continue." When I press a key it gives me a terminal prompt. If I reboot, FreeDos won't boot. It will just reboot again and again. So what is error 3? And how can I fix it?

I tried FreeDos 1.0 and it did the same thing.

Thank you very much,
Isaac D. Cohen

Re: What is Error 3 on Freedos installer?

Jim Hall-2
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Isaac D. Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeDos 1.1 on a computer of mine, but when it gets to
> the point where it's installing the FreeDos Command Shell it always gives me
> a message that says "Warning: Error 3 Occurred. Press any key to continue."
> When I press a key it gives me a terminal prompt. If I reboot, FreeDos won't
> boot. It will just reboot again and again. So what is error 3? And how can I
> fix it?
>
> I tried FreeDos 1.0 and it did the same thing.

When you say "When I press a key it gives me a terminal prompt" does
it give you a FreeDOS prompt (something like "A:\>") or some other
prompt. What happens if you type:

  VER

The VER command would confirm that you have dropped to a FreeDOS shell.

But I wonder since you get the same error on FreeDOS 1.1 and FreeDOS
1.0, I wonder if this is really an error from the BIOS, not from
FreeDOS.