Quantcast

Which freedos on 486

123

Which freedos on 486

Dimitris Zilaskos
Hi,

I am trying to install FreeDOS on my old 486. Version 1.0 will boot from floppy (only with himem, emm3886 with crash), detect CDROM drive (only if connected on Vesa Local bus controller, not on SB16 IDE - tertiary ide IDE channel) , and install happily. However upon reboot it just hangs , without printing anything.

Versions 1.1 and 1.2 floppy bootdisks either hang on boot printing odd characters or will not detect the CDROM.

System is a 486DX4-100, 32 MB RAM.VESA Local Bus controller with primary IDE loaded with 2 HDD - 6 GB and 4 GB, secondary IDE the CDROM. BIOS supports boot only from floppy and hdd. SB16 CT2290 used to handle the CDROM drive via its IDE interface - now I moved the CDROM drive to the VESA card. Windows 98SE happily gets installed and works on this system.

Is there a recommended strategy to get FreeDOS installed on such an ancient system? Did some research and tried several bootdisks that float around, nothing worked quite like FreeDOS 1.0.

Best regards,

Dimitris

Re: Which freedos on 486

Louis Santillan
On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install FreeDOS on my old 486. Version 1.0 will boot from
> floppy (only with himem, emm3886 with crash), detect CDROM drive (only if
> connected on Vesa Local bus controller, not on SB16 IDE - tertiary ide IDE

It is likely that you'll require you sound card manufacturer's CDROM
driver to have it recognize the IDE channel there.  The VLB card is
likely recognized natively by the BIOS and/or registering itself in
such a way that its channels are "natively" available to the BIOS.

> channel) , and install happily. However upon reboot it just hangs , without
> printing anything.

Are you sys'ing the C: drive after install?  Run `sys c:` after the
install program.

> Versions 1.1 and 1.2 floppy bootdisks either hang on boot printing odd
> characters or will not detect the CDROM.

Which specific bootdisks do what?

> System is a 486DX4-100, 32 MB RAM.VESA Local Bus controller with primary IDE
> loaded with 2 HDD - 6 GB and 4 GB, secondary IDE the CDROM. BIOS supports
> boot only from floppy and hdd. SB16 CT2290 used to handle the CDROM drive
> via its IDE interface - now I moved the CDROM drive to the VESA card.
> Windows 98SE happily gets installed and works on this system.

Win98SE has much more capable HW detection & driver routines.  FreeDOS
(like all DOSes) depends on the BIOS and whatevers you supply it.

> Is there a recommended strategy to get FreeDOS installed on such an ancient
> system? Did some research and tried several bootdisks that float around,
> nothing worked quite like FreeDOS 1.0.

If you're willing to test FDI 1.2, download the beta boot floppy [0],
and the cdrom iso [1].  Make sure the boot floppy can recognize your
two hard drives and your CD-ROM.  Add drivers and edit
autoexec.bat/fdconfig.sys as necessary (especially wrt to ensuring
CD-ROM access).  Install FD 1.2 beta.  `sys c:` at the end of your
install.

[0] http://dnld.lod.bz/FDI-2016-07-17-0.pre.zip
[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/cdrom.iso

Re: Which freedos on 486

Jerome Shidel

On Jul 18, 2016, at 2:34 AM, Louis Santillan <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

[…]

Is there a recommended strategy to get FreeDOS installed on such an ancient
system? Did some research and tried several bootdisks that float around,
nothing worked quite like FreeDOS 1.0.

If you're willing to test FDI 1.2, download the beta boot floppy [0],
and the cdrom iso [1].  Make sure the boot floppy can recognize your
two hard drives and your CD-ROM.  Add drivers and edit
autoexec.bat/fdconfig.sys as necessary (especially wrt to ensuring
CD-ROM access).  Install FD 1.2 beta.  `sys c:` at the end of your
install.

[0] http://dnld.lod.bz/FDI-2016-07-17-0.pre.zip

Louis is correct. Once you get the FDI 1.2 Preview floppy to boot and access your CD-ROM,
you should be able to run the installer. If the included driver (UDVD2) does not work with your
drive, you to hunt down an alternate driver or even vendor specific driver for your hardware.
There are a couple of other drivers in the old FreeDOS 1.1 Repository. These have been
removed from version 1.2 for various reasons. But, you could try UIDE [2], XCDROM [3] or
GCDROM [4].

If you have a functioning non-FreeDOS boot disk (like MS-DOS 5) that can access your
CD-ROM, you could try booting it and then sticking in the FDI floppy and CD. Then manually
run the SETUP.BAT. Assuming that works, you would have problems when you reboot the
installed system.

If everything else fails, you could try the the spare disk install method. It is mentioned in the
FDI Readme [5]. More or less, you copy everything from one of the USB images to a spare
hard drive root directory using another computer. The put that drive in the computer where you
want to install FreeDOS and run the SETUP.BAT. The spare drive should NOT be the drive
where you want to install FreeDOS. Normally, FDI will not permit you to install from and to
the same drive. Trying to override this behavior using FDI in advanced mode is NOT
recommended and can cause very unpredictable results.

Just a note on the 1.2 Repository CD-ROM [1]. Building the CD can place a heavy load on
the server for several minutes. So, when packages in the 1.2 repo are updated, building
of this image is postponed until the end of the day. This process is completely automated
and is self maintaining. When packages have changed, a new repo CD will be automatically
created and be posted at approximately 0300-0315 EST the next morning. Generally, this
image is not updated at release time. But, it takes care of itself within 24 hours.

There are static CD [6], SLIM [7], USB [8]  and Latest Floppy [9] that are created at release time.
these are also available on ibiblio [10]. The packages on these images are not updated
once a Preview or Release is issued.

All released versions use the same version of FDI. However, the booted system configuration
can vary slightly. The biggest difference is the Floppy image. Unlike the others, it loads
disk caching software at startup to increase the performance when running FDI from a
real floppy drive. FDI itself is unchanged from one format to another.

So, for instance, you could pull the BOOT.IMG from RepoCD [1]. Write it to a real floppy disk.
Grab the SLIM USB [7] image and write it to a USB stick. Then boot the floppy and either
just let FDI run. Or, exit FDI. Switch to the USB stick. Remove the Floppy, Then run
SETUP.BAT. The result should be the same. (Although, FDI does a couple things
differently when you run it manually.)

Jerome

Fwd: Which freedos on 486

Dimitris Zilaskos
Re-sending this as the attachment is caught up in moderation.

Thank you for your reply. Please see answers inline.

On Jul 18, 2016 9:34 AM, "Louis Santillan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install FreeDOS on my old 486. Version 1.0 will boot from
> > floppy (only with himem, emm3886 with crash), detect CDROM drive (only if
> > connected on Vesa Local bus controller, not on SB16 IDE - tertiary ide IDE
>
> It is likely that you'll require you sound card manufacturer's CDROM
> driver to have it recognize the IDE channel there.  The VLB card is
> likely recognized natively by the BIOS and/or registering itself in
> such a way that its channels are "natively" available to the BIOS.
>
> > channel) , and install happily. However upon reboot it just hangs , without
> > printing anything.
>
> Are you sys'ing the C: drive after install?  Run `sys c:` after the
> install program.

I tried it, it completed successfully but there was no change.

> > Versions 1.1 and 1.2 floppy bootdisks either hang on boot printing odd
> > characters or will not detect the CDROM.
>
> Which specific bootdisks do what?

I have done a poor job recording that, sorry.

> > System is a 486DX4-100, 32 MB RAM.VESA Local Bus controller with primary IDE
> > loaded with 2 HDD - 6 GB and 4 GB, secondary IDE the CDROM. BIOS supports
> > boot only from floppy and hdd. SB16 CT2290 used to handle the CDROM drive
> > via its IDE interface - now I moved the CDROM drive to the VESA card.
> > Windows 98SE happily gets installed and works on this system.
> >

> Win98SE has much more capable HW detection & driver routines.  FreeDOS
> (like all DOSes) depends on the BIOS and whatevers you supply it.
>
> > Is there a recommended strategy to get FreeDOS installed on such an ancient
> > system? Did some research and tried several bootdisks that float around,
> > nothing worked quite like FreeDOS 1.0.
>
> If you're willing to test FDI 1.2, download the beta boot floppy [0],
> and the cdrom iso [1].  Make sure the boot floppy can recognize your
> two hard drives and your CD-ROM.  Add drivers and edit
> autoexec.bat/fdconfig.sys as necessary (especially wrt to ensuring
> CD-ROM access).  Install FD 1.2 beta.  `sys c:` at the end of your
> install.
>
> [0] http://dnld.lod.bz/FDI-2016-07-17-0.pre.zip
> [1] http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/cdrom.

I have tried it please see the output attached. This is endlessly scrolling after drives are detected.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2zW1ur6Z_WeY2tOSXpNT2g3NUJWMWx6bFZlSFBjamE3VEFr

Cheers,

Dimitris

Re: Which freedos on 486

One more thing,

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 2:34 AM, Louis Santillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> Install FD 1.2 beta.  `sys c:` at the end of your install.

I don’t think you need to do the ‘sys c:’ at the end of the install anymore.
It shouldn’t hurt anything if you do run it.

Now, on the other hand. If the installed system does not boot after
installation, there is simple batch file included that will run FDI with
a special option. This will tell FDI that you have already installed
FreeDOS and it wouldn’t boot. FDI will then offer some advanced
mode options to FORCE new boot sector code. This will wipe out
any multi-boot boot loader (like GRUB) and install the FreeDOS
boot sector.

You can try this utility by booting one of the FDI install media images.
Then run MBRZAP.BAT from the command line.

Jerome

Re: Which freedos on 486

On Jul 18, 2016, at 7:51 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have tried it please see the output attached. This is endlessly scrolling after drives are detected.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2zW1ur6Z_WeY2tOSXpNT2g3NUJWMWx6bFZlSFBjamE3VEFr

Unfortunately, that isn’t very helpful.

When you boot the floppy, can you press F8 to walk through the startup?  What item in the configuration
causes it to crash?

Jerome

Re: Which freedos on 486

Dimitris Zilaskos
Hi,

Thanks for the followup. Hitting F8 reveals HIMEMX triggering this problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2zW1ur6Z_WeSWtGNXN0NmxxaU0

​​I have observed that the gibberish stops given sufficient time:

Let me know what else I can try - I will recheck the floppies for starters in case they went bad and check the rest of your suggestions.

Best regards,

Dimitris

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the followup. Hitting F8 reveals HIMEMX triggering this problem:
>
> Let me know what else I can try - I will recheck the floppies for starters
> in case they went bad and check the rest of your suggestions.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, your picture indicates that your
machine has 32 MB of RAM. Is that correct?

In that case, since (strangely) HIMEMX doesn't appear to work on your
machine, you could use a different alternative (e.g. FDXMS or even
probably FDXMS286).

1). https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/xms/fdxms/
2). https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/xms/fdxms286/

Re: Which freedos on 486

Hi again,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeDOS on my old 486.
>
> Versions 1.1 and 1.2 floppy bootdisks either hang on boot printing odd
> characters or will not detect the CDROM.

As mentioned, CD-ROM may not be well-supported by default. You may
have to find your own (legacy, proprietary, hardware-specific) DOS
driver elsewhere (on random third-party site). Unavoidable.

> System is a 486DX4-100, 32 MB RAM. VESA Local Bus controller with primary IDE
> loaded with 2 HDD - 6 GB and 4 GB, secondary IDE the CDROM. BIOS supports
> boot only from floppy and hdd.

Have you not tried Smart Boot Manager? It may let you boot from CD:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html

> Is there a recommended strategy to get FreeDOS installed on such an ancient
> system? Did some research and tried several bootdisks that float around,
> nothing worked quite like FreeDOS 1.0.

Just FYI, there's nothing hugely special about FD 1.0, it's roughly
the same. If you want to swap out shell (FreeCOM 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap)
or kernel (2036) for different versions, it might help (but might
not).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos/files/

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/kernel/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/command/

Not sure why HIMEMX would be failing. Also not sure how to isolate
what is going on there. Well, I'm not maintainer anyways (not sure
there is one, actively anyways).

So here's an old floppy of mine, for comparison, yet another to try,
if you really want a different alternative:

https://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/BARE_DOS.ZIP?attredirects=0
https://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/bare_dos.txt?attredirects=0

To be honest, floppy doesn't get a lot of attention anymore, even from
me. I would also (maybe?) point you to others of mine, but they use
HIMEMX, and you'd have to manually modify it to avoid that, so that's
probably not a good suggestion right now.

BTW, do you know exactly which version of HimemX you're using here?
3.32, perhaps??? Latest is probably here, so it might be worth trying
instead (rare chance, but anyways):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/files/v3.34/himemx.zip/download

Re: Which freedos on 486

On Jul 18, 2016, at 9:02 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the followup. Hitting F8 reveals HIMEMX triggering this problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2zW1ur6Z_WeSWtGNXN0NmxxaU0

​​I have observed that the gibberish stops given sufficient time:

Let me know what else I can try - I will recheck the floppies for starters in case they went bad and check the rest of your suggestions.

Best regards,

Dimitris

You could just try removing HIMEMX.SYS from the FDCONFIG.SYS file.

Also, remove the DOS=HIGH, DOS=UMB, DOSDATA=UMB.

Change SHELLHIGH to SHELL.

After doing all of that, see what happens.

FDI needs very little memory to run. It only loads stuff HIGH so the boot media
could be used to run other (not included) diagnostic programs and recovery tools.

Jerome

Re: Which freedos on 486

dosgeek57
Your driver is the problem this might be a case for the XCDROM.SYS driver combined with SHCDX86.COM - A quick way to find out download this file
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xosl-ow/files/xosl-ow116/BootMedia/BootFloppy/
and see if you have clean drive access.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for your suggestions. What I have tried so far:

   * Getting rid of himemx: this works - the boot process continues and the installer tries to start. However the floppy drive works continuously like mad, screen updates are slow, and I the installation appears to be stuck in the 'Gathering information..' stage forever
   * Replacing himemx with XMGR.SYS /T0 (kudos to Jack): Boot process continues, everything is light speed fast compared to just getting rid of himemx.
   * Although installation of 1.2 finishes successfully, system fails to boot, hangs right after BIOS system summary is displayed.
   * sys c: does not help
   * UDVD2 is able to detect the CDROM connected to the SB16 IDE interface. Unfortunately only the CDROM drive that was supplied with sound card appears to work there (MATSHITA CR-581-M), connecting other CDROMs that can actually read modern CD-R causes the system to get stuck after memory test. So I have to use a 1998 HITACHI CDR-8435 attached to the secondary VESA Local Bus IDE for the installation. UDVD2 reports the SB16 CDROM drive in IDE1 - I would expect that to be IDE2 for tertiary IDE so I may need to play with jumpers.

I will try to sort out why the boot loader fails.

Thanks!

Dimitris

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Don Flowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dimitris,

For giggles, could you do two things?  First, capture the BIOS screens
for booting and IDE/HD parameters.  Second, after installing FreeDOS
to C: drive, run the command `fdisk /MBR:80`.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Dimitris

>>> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>>> traffic
>>> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
>>> are
>>> consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>>> J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>>> planning
>>> reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

>> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>> traffic
>> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
>> are
>> consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>> J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity

Hi Dimitris,

> * Getting rid of himemx: this works ...

But very slow and lots of floppy access: I assume you booted from
floppy because the BIOS does not support CD boot and the CD also
needs to be some ancient model connected to the sound card? Then
I wonder if a newer model would work if connected to the normal
IDE controller which your 486 must already have. Because then it
may be possible to boot with a Smart Boot Manager floppy to CD...
If you have questions about SBM, Rugxulo could probably help ;-)

> * Replacing himemx with XMGR.SYS /T0 (kudos to Jack)

Cool to know that XMGR works, but what does /T0 mean? Maybe there
is some option for HIMEMX which makes a similar selection, which
could make HIMEMX work as well? :-)

> * Although installation of 1.2 finishes successfully, system fails
> to boot, hangs right after BIOS system summary is displayed.

I agree that FDISK /MBR may help. It would replace existing boot
code in the MBR with a "normal" version. Note that if you have to
use something like OnTrack "drivers" hidden in the MBR to use the
full capacity of the harddisk (due to too old BIOS), then this can
overwrite the driver: You might have to install DOS and/or driver
again.

> * UDVD2 is able to detect the CDROM connected to the SB16 IDE interface.

> Unfortunately only the CDROM drive that was supplied with sound
> card appears to work there (MATSHITA CR-581-M)...

See above :-)

Cheers, Eric

PS: You may also have a way to change A20 style in BIOS setup,
which can help HIMEMX and XMGR to work without magic options.

Re: Which freedos on 486

Did you change the installed config?

It uses himemx as well.

Sent from my iPhone, ignore bad sentence structures, grammatical errors and incorrect spell-corrected words.

On Jul 18, 2016, at 3:46 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dimitris,

> * Getting rid of himemx: this works ...

But very slow and lots of floppy access: I assume you booted from
floppy because the BIOS does not support CD boot and the CD also
needs to be some ancient model connected to the sound card? Then
I wonder if a newer model would work if connected to the normal
IDE controller which your 486 must already have. Because then it
may be possible to boot with a Smart Boot Manager floppy to CD...
If you have questions about SBM, Rugxulo could probably help ;-)

Indeed! Your assumptions are correct. Getting SBM installed to a floppy was tricky but I got it. However it does not detect any CDROM drives, no matter if they are connected on the SB16 IDE or the VL Bus Secondary IDE. I tried 1E0-1EFh I/O port range per http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=3039 and looking at the SB16 jumpers but no luck.

> * Replacing himemx with XMGR.SYS /T0 (kudos to Jack)

Cool to know that XMGR works, but what does /T0 mean? Maybe there
is some option for HIMEMX which makes a similar selection, which
could make HIMEMX work as well? :-)

Jack told me /T0 helps with systems with less than 64MB RAM such as mine,

> * Although installation of 1.2 finishes successfully, system fails
> to boot, hangs right after BIOS system summary is displayed.

I agree that FDISK /MBR may help. It would replace existing boot
code in the MBR with a "normal" version. Note that if you have to
use something like OnTrack "drivers" hidden in the MBR to use the
full capacity of the harddisk (due to too old BIOS), then this can
overwrite the driver: You might have to install DOS and/or driver
again.

I tried it but nothing changed. I am not using any drives with OnTrack connected atm - I do have some that I may use later.

> * UDVD2 is able to detect the CDROM connected to the SB16 IDE interface.

> Unfortunately only the CDROM drive that was supplied with sound
> card appears to work there (MATSHITA CR-581-M)...

See above :-)

Cheers, Eric

This turned out to be a red herring, I was able to get all the CDROMS detected by UDVD2 while both of them sitting on the SB16 IDE in master/slave configuration. I suspect I did a mistake during my previous test.

PS: You may also have a way to change A20 style in BIOS setup,
which can help HIMEMX and XMGR to work without magic options.

BIOS has a Fast and Normal setting for A20, it is currently set to Fast. Will try Normal later.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Re: Which freedos on 486

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:52 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Jerome,

From what I can tell I never get past the boot loader to be struck by himemx.

Ok try this:

Boot your modified FDI floppy.
It should detect FreeDOS has been already installed and go straight to the command prompt.

Run "MBRZAP"
This will launch a special part of FDI in advanced mode to force update your MBR with the FreeDOS boot loader.

-------
During investigations of systems that had boot loader issues not being updated, I discovered that there is no way to force the sys command to updated the MBR. Sometimes, it just won't do it regardless of what you tell it to do. It can be forced using fdisk.

There is another possible issue. Your MBR may be fine. However, FDI may have not been able to identify the drive or partition that FreeDOS was installed onto. You should run fdisk and verify that the FreeDOS partition is set as ACTIVE.

Jerome