Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Aleksei Ivan
I have a netbook without DVD-ROM, USB working, and, obliviously. no FLOPPY DISK to install it. Is there any way to do it from the HD?
Tks

Re: Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Jim Hall-2
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Aleksei Ivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a netbook without DVD-ROM, USB working, and, obliviously. no FLOPPY DISK to install it. Is there any way to do it from the HD?
> Tks

If your computer doesn't have a CDROM drive, use the USB fob drive
installer. Write this to a USB fob drive and boot it to start the
install. The "Full" and "Lite" versions install the same FreeDOS, but
the "Lite" installer does not contain some extra bonus software
packages.

You can find links to these installers on this page:
http://www.freedos.org/download/

Re: Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Aleksei Ivan
My USB ports are NOT working too. I have only to work with a installation partition on this netbook.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Aleksei Ivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a netbook without DVD-ROM, USB working, and, obliviously. no FLOPPY DISK to install it. Is there any way to do it from the HD?
> Tks

If your computer doesn't have a CDROM drive, use the USB fob drive
installer. Write this to a USB fob drive and boot it to start the
install. The "Full" and "Lite" versions install the same FreeDOS, but
the "Lite" installer does not contain some extra bonus software
packages.

You can find links to these installers on this page:
http://www.freedos.org/download/

Re: Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Jerome Shidel

On Mar 25, 2017, at 5:00 PM, Aleksei Ivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

My USB ports are NOT working too. I have only to work with a installation partition on this netbook.

Well, it is always tricky to install an OS to a computer with a single drive, no USB, no CD, no Floppy. It is very difficult to boot anything other than the installed OS.

So, your only viable option is to remove the drive from the Netbook and plug it into another PC.

Since, you don't want to do that multiple times, I recommend the following.

Manually partition the drive as C: (1-2GB) and D: (1GB). Install FreeDOS using the other machine to Drive C:. Then copy the entire contents of either the Big USB stick or CD to drive D:.

This way all of the games and packages that don't get installed with BASE or FULL will be easily accessible on Drive D:.

Reinsert Drive back in netbook.

All done. Unlike Windows and some other OS releases, nothing will prevent you from moving the installed OS from one machine to another.

Jerome

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Aleksei Ivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My USB ports are NOT working too. I have only to work with a installation
> partition on this netbook.
>
> I'm sorry for the confusion.

But what other OS (if any) are you running on that machine? What file systems?

Of course the easiest way to test FreeDOS is via virtual machine, e.g.
QEMU or VBox:

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/

If you can download the .ISO to a FAT partition, you can then install
from there via SHSUCDHD ("emulates a CD-ROM using an image file"):

http://adoxa.altervista.org/shsucdx/index.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/shsucdx/other/

Sorry, I don't know the details offhand, so I can't help you set it up
directly or give more specific advice.

Hmmm, this implies a working DOS already. Perhaps one of these will help?

http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/sys/sys-freedos-linux/

Dunno, it sounds harder to do than we'd all like.   :-(

Re: Without DVD-ROM, USB working... install it from the HD?

Aleksei Ivan
Rugxulo: I've got a Windows 10 and 7 right now on the machine. I want to keep dual (Win10 and FreeDOS). I'll try the virtual machine, tks, and for the links.

Jerome: Thank you for your answer. I have no problem to install any Windows or Linux from a partition to the same hard disk. It's easier and faster than a DVD or USB, actually. But I've tried this with FreeDOS and nothing.
Switch HD is the way when there is not other solution. Always my last hard alternative... ;)