ac97 soundchip and drivers

Travis Siegel
Has anyone fiddled with this kind of a setup?
I have a laptop (ibm a30) and from what I can tell, it has an AC97
chip in it.
I've not had much luck trying to get the sound working in this machine
(or the network, but that's another issue/email) and I was wondering
what I can do to get this to behave itself.
If anyone has a similar configuration (lots of laptops use ac97 chips)
and can lend a hand, I'd certainly appreciate it.
I've actually not dug too deeply into this issue, since having sound
is useful, but not essential, just figured I'd ask in case anyone else
has already solved this one, and can offer a quick solution.
If not, that's ok, I'll get it working eventually (hopefully)
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: ac97 soundchip and drivers

Robert Riebisch
Travis Siegel wrote:

> Has anyone fiddled with this kind of a setup?

Google is full of this.

> I have a laptop (ibm a30) and from what I can tell, it has an AC97
> chip in it.

More accurate: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:A30

DOS itself doesn't know anything about audio. So it doesn't need any
audio drivers. Applications or games wishing to playback sound have to
program the hardware directly (or use commercial libraries). This is a
very expensive (time and/or money) task, so usually only AdLib,
SoundBlaster, and Gravis UltraSound hardware is supported.

According to the specs the CS4299 audio chip of the A30 is not
compatible to any of the above standards, so you're (currently) out of luck.

Japheth (<http://www.japheth.de/) told some month ago to write a driver
to turn your AC'97 device into a SoundBlaster card, but this is a
difficult task and unfortunately I don't see any progress there.

More information about sound in DOS:
<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.SoundCardChip>

> I've not had much luck trying to get the sound working in this machine
> (or the network, but that's another issue/email) and I was wondering
> what I can do to get this to behave itself.

If you have an Ethernet Daughter Card
(<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ethernet_Daughter_Card_%28EDC%29>)
installed, Intel PRO 100 drivers could work. A good DOS networking
tutorial is available at <http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos/>.

--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/

Re: ac97 soundchip and drivers

pcdos2k
> Travis Siegel wrote:
>
> > Has anyone fiddled with this kind of a setup?

ac97 driver for dos:
http://schneegans.de/computer/dos-soundtreiber/

hopefully your chipset is supported.

Re: ac97 soundchip and drivers

Eric Auer-3

Hi!

> ac97 driver for dos:
> http://schneegans.de/computer/dos-soundtreiber/

This page has 2 drivers:

- Creative SoundBlaster SB PCI64 works with
  ES1370 drivers linked there

- VIA onboard AC97 chipset supports Adlib/OPL3
  with VIAFMTSR linked there

Problem with this:

Many cards from "short after ISA bus" are PCI
with perfectly working Adlib/OPL3 hardware,
for example CMedia or ForteMedia FM801 chips.

This however does not give you SB16 DSP, and
those chips used workarounds which stopped to
work on newer mainboards such as PCIe boards.

The VIA chipset has hardware which is close
to SB16, and you can enable something in the
BIOS (!) to activate it. There is also some
small VIAAUDIO "driver" but this only switches
off the mute and turns up the volume setting.

However, the VIA chipset has no Adlib, so the
VIAFMTSR simulates it... For similar reasons,
SB Live and SB PCI soundcards even simulate
everything! Nice thing is they work on every
mainboard, bad thing is they need EMM386 and
not all games can co-exist with the simulator.

Last but not least, the schneegans page will
not help you for generic AC97. You might be
lucky and find some SBLive / SBPCI family
soundcard which can be connected to your PC.

Eric