Quantcast

after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

BlameTroi
I'm curious as to why FreeDOS is trying to read a:. I've built a VM in
VirtualBox and most things work well, but while digging around looking
for information, I got this after a FIND command.

C:\ELVIS\DOC>find /i "env" e*.htm
.... file list ...
Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure

I've triple checked and I have nothing in my autoexec or config that
points to drive A:, nor does A: show up in any of the environment
variables. Of course, that drive is empty.

Not a show stopper, but any idea why it is happening? Is there
anything I can do to stop it?

Thanks.

Troi.

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

Eric Auer-3

Hi Troi,

> C:\ELVIS\DOC>find /i "env" e*.htm
> .... file list ...
> Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure

You mean it FIRST checks all files in the current
directory on C: but THEN tries to jump to the A:
drive? That sounds like a bug in the kernel, either
in the drive status init or in findfirst / findnext
and to be honest I think that has happened before?

Does the same bug happen with find /i "env" C:e*.htm
and with find /i "env" C:\elvis\doc\e*.htm by the way?

Regards, Eric

On Jan 16, 2017 11:24 AM, "Eric Auer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > C:\ELVIS\DOC>find /i "env" e*.htm
> > .... file list ...
> > Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure
>
> You mean it FIRST checks all files in the current
> directory on C: but THEN tries to jump to the A:
> drive? That sounds like a bug in the kernel, either
> in the drive status init or in findfirst / findnext

It could be a rare kernel bug, but my guess is some buffer overflow in the IO95 lib. I think this problem is hidden by enabling DOSLFN.

But I personally just avoid Find and use Xgrep instead.

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

BlameTroi
Eric,

>> C:\ELVIS\DOC>find /i "env" e*.htm
>> .... file list ...
>> Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure
>
> Does the same bug happen with find /i "env" C:e*.htm
> and with find /i "env" C:\elvis\doc\e*.htm by the way?

Yes it does. I've seen a few posts and such that sound somewhat
similar after running some searches, but nothing quite seemed to be
this problem.

Not a huge deal for me, there's no 15 seconds of drive A: clanking to
deal with :)

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

BlameTroi
> It could be a rare kernel bug, but my guess is some buffer overflow in the
> IO95 lib. I think this problem is hidden by enabling DOSLFN.

Yes indeed that did either mask or "fix" the problem. Thanks.

> But I personally just avoid Find and use Xgrep instead.

I probably will too as I learn what commands are available. I
remembered Find so that's what I used :)

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

Eric Auer-3

Hi Rugxulo and Troi,

>> It could be a rare kernel bug, but my guess is some buffer overflow in the
>> IO95 lib. I think this problem is hidden by enabling DOSLFN.
>
> Yes indeed that did either mask or "fix" the problem. Thanks.

In that case please tell in which situations the bug does
happen and in which not, for example with/without having
DOSLFN loaded :-) It could still be a bug caused by kernel
limitations which affect LFN file listing more than 8.3?

Cheers, Eric

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

BlameTroi
Eric,

In the three cases (mine and your two suggestions) if DOSLFN is loaded
and enabled, there is no sign of a problem.

If DOSLFN is not loaded, I get the error.

If DOSLFN has been loaded, but I disable it (DOSLFN /D), the error returns.

So, DOSLFN seems to "fix" the problem, at least from a user perspective.

This is FD 1.2.

Thanks again.

>>> It could be a rare kernel bug, but my guess is some buffer overflow in the
>>> IO95 lib. I think this problem is hidden by enabling DOSLFN.
>>
>> Yes indeed that did either mask or "fix" the problem. Thanks.
>
> In that case please tell in which situations the bug does
> happen and in which not, for example with/without having
> DOSLFN loaded :-) It could still be a bug caused by kernel
> limitations which affect LFN file listing more than 8.3?

Re: freedos 1.2 install

tom ehlert
Hi,

to reproduce this FIND problem, I tried to setup a new FD1.2 machine.

what I did:

download FD12LGC.ISO

create a new virtual box machine with 512 MB disk
use FD12LGC.ISO to boot the machine.
boot machine.

'Unfortunately, this method of installation is not supported on this
hardware platform. Please try a different installation method.'

Welcome to the FreeDOS 1.2 operating system.

now what?
a hint to use the other .ISO would have been be helpful

eventually I figured this out, and setup was successful.

some remarks though:

the setup results in

FDCONFIG.SYS:

    12:DOS=UMB

makes virtually never sense. DOS=HIGH,UMB is always the better
option.

what purpose is SHARE supposed to have?
SHARE is useful when the machine is running as a server, or with
windows (or any other multitasking OS).

don't install this.

Tom

Re: after find, Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general failure.

tom ehlert

I could reproduce this.

it happens in/after findnext()

this error is related to the compiler.

if the source is compiled using TurboC 2.01 the error occures.

compiling the exact same source with TCPP the error is gone.

try www.drivesnapshot.de/freedos/findtcpp.com and
www.drivesnapshot.de/freedos/findtc21.com

of course this can be a kernel bug, but as well a turbo library bug,
or some sort of interference between them.

Tom

Re: freedos 1.2 install

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Tom Ehlert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> to reproduce this FIND problem, I tried to setup a new FD1.2 machine.
>
> what I did:
>
> download FD12LGC.ISO
>
> create a new virtual box machine with 512 MB disk
> use FD12LGC.ISO to boot the machine.
> boot machine.
>
> 'Unfortunately, this method of installation is not supported on this
> hardware platform. Please try a different installation method.'
>
> Welcome to the FreeDOS 1.2 operating system.
>
> now what?
> a hint to use the other .ISO would have been be helpful
>
> eventually I figured this out, and setup was successful.

If you read this ...

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/FD12README.md

... it says this:

"
* Bootable CD-ROM
  * Most virtual machines (including VirtualBox)
  * Most 486 or better computers
* Alternate Legacy CD-ROM
  * Virtual Machines (excluding VirtualBox)
  * Most computers that support CD booting.
"

The main page is somewhat less explicit about VBox compatibility:

http://www.freedos.org/download/

"We recommend the CDROM installer for most users. The 'standard' CDROM
image should work on most computers and PC emulators. Older computers
may need the 'legacy' CDROM image instead."

P.S. VirtualBox 5.1.14 was just released today.

Re: freedos 1.2 install

Jim Hall-2

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you read this ...
>
> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/FD12README.md
>
> ... it says this:
[..]

The Download page tries to make this clear, with this message:

>>We recommend the CDROM installer for most users. The "standard" CDROM image should work on most computers and PC emulators. Older computers may need the "legacy" CDROM image instead.<<

And below that, the page lists several download options, including
this one that links to FD12CD.iso:

>>CDROM "standard" installer<<

So the page has the correct links.

If that's not clear enough, I have been thinking about tweaking the
download page to provide the links directly beneath each brief, but I
haven't mocked up anything for it yet.

Jim

Re: freedos 1.2 install

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Tom Ehlert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> to reproduce this FIND problem, I tried to setup a new FD1.2 machine.
>>>
>>> what I did:
>>>
>>> download FD12LGC.ISO
>>>
>>> create a new virtual box machine with 512 MB disk
>>> use FD12LGC.ISO to boot the machine.
>>> boot machine.
>>>
>>> 'Unfortunately, this method of installation is not supported on this
>>> hardware platform. Please try a different installation method.'

Just to restate the obvious, this is apparently an incompatibility (or
maybe bug) in VBox.

I don't know why, thus I don't have a direct fix or workaround.

> The Download page tries to make this clear, with this message:
>

>>>We recommend the CDROM installer for most users. The "standard" CDROM image should work on most computers and PC emulators. Older computers may need the "legacy" CDROM image instead.<<
>

> And below that, the page lists several download options, including
> this one that links to FD12CD.iso:
>

>>>CDROM "standard" installer<<
>

> So the page has the correct links.
>
> If that's not clear enough, I have been thinking about tweaking the
> download page to provide the links directly beneath each brief, but I
> haven't mocked up anything for it yet.

You may wish to explicitly say that "Legacy" is not meant for VBox and
"won't work" (yet?).

On a barely-related topic, I wonder if it's wise to make people
download a 400+ MB .iso again when they already have the first one.

The obvious solution would be to use something like XDelta. Latest
(circa 2016) with premade binaries for Win32 is apparently 3.1.0
(although DJGPP has a much older [2002] port of 1.1.2 under
/current/v2apps/ as XDLT112B.ZIP).

N.B. If really desperate, maybe contact uHexen2 (DJGPP) dude, he
half-ported XDelta3 there, I think.

https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/download/v3.1.0/xdelta3-3.1.0-i686.exe.zip
   (206 kb)

A quick try (on Win7 64-bit) shows that it works correctly, and the
"diff" is "only" 940 kb (less than 1 MB).

Would this be worth suggesting to users? It would certainly save download time.

Of course, this only works if the .iso files are kept relatively
similar. If they are meant to diverge (or that becomes unavoidable in
the future), then it's pointless.