announcing DOSUTIL - LS

Mark Olesen
Just for fun, I created an LS binary for FreeDOS.

It is hosted on github and can be found here:

https://github.com/markjolesen/dosutil

It is released into the Public Domain.

I was reading the FreeDOS e-mail list where Jim Hall was wanting Gnuish utilities for FreeDOS. So, I was curios as to how hard it would be to create some of the GNU coreutils. I realize there are DJGPP and other binaries available. So, another replicate would most likely not be much use to the public at large. However, for personal amusement I figured I would give it a shot. Hopefully, someone else can enjoy it as well or glean something from the madness of my coding. Let me know.

Re: announcing DOSUTIL - LS

Louis Santillan
Not to pooh-pooh what you've done, but maybe you'd want to explore
something like suckless sbase [0][1], ubase [2][3], or toybox [4] or
beastiebox [5]?  With OpenWatcom and/or DJGPP, it shouldn't be as hard
to port them.

[0] http://core.suckless.org/sbase
[1] http://git.suckless.org/sbase/tree/
[2] http://core.suckless.org/ubase
[3] http://git.suckless.org/ubase/tree/
[4] http://landley.net/toybox/about.html
[5] http://beastiebox.sourceforge.net/

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just for fun, I created an LS binary for FreeDOS.
>
> It is hosted on github and can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/markjolesen/dosutil
>
> It is released into the Public Domain.
>
> I was reading the FreeDOS e-mail list where Jim Hall was wanting Gnuish
> utilities for FreeDOS. So, I was curios as to how hard it would be to create
> some of the GNU coreutils. I realize there are DJGPP and other binaries
> available. So, another replicate would most likely not be much use to the
> public at large. However, for personal amusement I figured I would give it a
> shot. Hopefully, someone else can enjoy it as well or glean something from
> the madness of my coding. Let me know.

Re: announcing DOSUTIL - LS

Mark Olesen
It is not a port. It is a 16-bit clone with a FreeDOS attitude weighing in less then 6K and pretty darn fast. I did it because it was fun. Whether or not it is useful is another matter.

Porting Unix programs to a DOS based system is not that straight forward. DJGPP provides a bunch of wrappers to get the functionality to do it. However, they are 32-bit PM apps. Great stuff for sure.

Anyway, it came to my attention that Ercan is working on DOS Coreutils Project.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Mark Olesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just for fun, I created an LS binary for FreeDOS.
>
> It is hosted on github and can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/markjolesen/dosutil

Cool stuff. Though I haven't actually run it yet (nor built atop DOS proper).

Just a few tips:

1). You don't need a separate ls.lnk file at all, even under DOS.

For DOS, you can use "CC = *wcc" (notice the asterisk, aka star) for
working with "long" cmdlines. In this case, you would use "*wlink". (I
haven't personally tested this particular fix in native DOS yet, but
I've successfully done it for other projects.) See section 10.39 in
tools.pdf.

So the relevant makefile lines would now be:

ls.exe : $(OBJS)
        *wlink name ls.exe format dos debug all op map file $(OBJS: =,)

(You linked objects in different order in ls.lnk, but when I adjusted
the makefile to use the same order, the resultant binary was the exact
same as yours, built here on Win7 64-bit. And yes, you need "format
dos" else it seems to think it's a Win16 .EXE, ugh.).

2). The other obvious improvement is this:

clean: .SYMBOLIC
        @rm -f *.obj ls.exe *.map

I take it that you didn't know that Wmake has its own "rm" built-in?
So no need to use multiple "del"s here. (tools.pdf also mentions that
Wmake intercepts "set" and "for".)

Re: announcing DOSUTIL - LS

Mark Olesen
Great tips. I modified the makefile using your suggestions. Thank you.

Hi,