applic problem with emm386, himem

coralline algae
Greetings,

I am testing a program pari/gp  which i downloaded from here
ftp://megrez.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/dos/

only two files are necessary for the dos install
gpb_210.zip
gprt.zip

It is an application for linux  ported to windows and os2/dos
with  user specified variable  precision for calculations

The os2/dos port uses  emx
I wont explain emx here,  but is needed to run the app
and the included doc covers it

tested initially on freedos b9sr1 with emmx202.zip
version of himem.exe and emm386.exe and was
not able to get it running, either the app would
msg  out of memory or the system would crash.

next test was on drdos and  was able to get it
running with the drdos version of   emm386 and
no himem.  actually the drdos version of emm386
messages that himem should not be run if
using drdos  emm386

I copied over the drdos emm386 to the freedos pc
and was able to run pari/gp by commenting out
the freedos versions of himem and emm386 and
substituting just the drdos version of  emm386

Would like to try and get the applic running
without drdos  emm386 but not sure what
to try next.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Re: applic problem with emm386, himem

Michael Devore
At 07:41 AM 5/28/2005 -0700, coralline algae wrote:

>I am testing a program pari/gp  which i downloaded from here
>ftp://megrez.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/dos/
>
>only two files are necessary for the dos install
>gpb_210.zip
>gprt.zip

>tested initially on freedos b9sr1 with emmx202.zip
>version of himem.exe and emm386.exe and was
>not able to get it running, either the app would
>msg  out of memory or the system would crash.

GP stuff using EMX/RSX has the same problem as RAR32 does, mentioned in
EMM386 2.02 release announcement.  EMX/RSX extender is unhappy with too
much available extended memory when EMM386 is loaded.

However, unlike RAR32 which fails if more than MAX=429M option is specified
in the HIMEM (not EMM386) line, GP will not fail until the MAX= setting is
higher than 434M.  5M difference is possibly due to the larger size and
memory requirements of GP.EXE.

I don't know what's going on in EMX/RSX's little pin head, but the
workaround is to limit your total available extended memory in HIMEM when
using it to, oh, /MAX=424M ought to be safe.