Quantcast

boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

123

boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
MS-DOS 6.22 on an old 486 I'm playing with.
I downloaded and burned to CD the iso. I also downloaded the boot
floppy disk image because the old 486 will not boot from the external
SCSI CD drive.
To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
1.44 floppy.
This makes me question the decision to switch. How in the world can an
organization dedicated to promoting this better version of DOS get it
wrong when it comes to the size of a disk image?
Do you have a fix for this?

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

dmccunney
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
> MS-DOS 6.22 on an old 486 I'm playing with.
> I downloaded and burned to CD the iso. I also downloaded the boot
> floppy disk image because the old 486 will not boot from the external
> SCSI CD drive.
> To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
> 1.44 floppy.

The ISO image isn't *intended* to fit on a floppy.  It expects to be
installed on a CDROM.

If you have a machine that *can't* boot form CD and must boot from
floppy, there's a boot floppy zip file you can extract to floppy to
boot from.  That assumes the rest of the distribution will be on a CD
you can access from FreeDOS once you've booted from the floppy.  See
the Boot Floppy option under "How to install FreeDOS 1.2 »"

See http://www.freedos.org/download/

> This makes me question the decision to switch. How in the world can an
> organization dedicated to promoting this better version of DOS get it
> wrong when it comes to the size of a disk image?
> Do you have a fix for this?

The problem is pilot error.  Please read the applicable instructions
on the download page.
______
Dennis

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
Read what I wrote. I burned the iso to a CD. I also downloaded the floppy img. It doesn't fit!
So my first interaction on this forum is from someone who treats me like a dummy. Perhaps another reason to say to Hell with FreeDOS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
> MS-DOS 6.22 on an old 486 I'm playing with.
> I downloaded and burned to CD the iso. I also downloaded the boot
> floppy disk image because the old 486 will not boot from the external
> SCSI CD drive.
> To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
> 1.44 floppy.

The ISO image isn't *intended* to fit on a floppy. It expects to be
installed on a CDROM.

If you have a machine that *can't* boot form CD and must boot from
floppy, there's a boot floppy zip file you can extract to floppy to
boot from. That assumes the rest of the distribution will be on a CD
you can access from FreeDOS once you've booted from the floppy. See
the Boot Floppy option under "How to install FreeDOS 1.2 »"

See http://www.freedos.org/download/

> This makes me question the decision to switch. How in the world can an
> organization dedicated to promoting this better version of DOS get it
> wrong when it comes to the size of a disk image?
> Do you have a fix for this?

The problem is pilot error. Please read the applicable instructions
on the download page.
______
Dennis

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Felix Miata-3
Dennis Fenton composed on 2017-03-23 20:32 (UTC-0500):

> After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
> MS-DOS 6.22 on an old 486 I'm playing with.
> I downloaded and burned to CD the iso. I also downloaded the boot
> floppy disk image because the old 486 will not boot from the external
> SCSI CD drive.
> To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
> 1.44 floppy.

How much "too big"? Is it because your floppy has bad sectors. Floppies without
bad sectors are rather uncommon around here. For this reason I try to avoid
image writes, which demand all sectors in the media's spec be usable, and a
format that worked once may well be that last the media will accept without error.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
No bad sectors. I tried two different freshly formatted disks and ran scandisk on them just to be sure.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Felix Miata-3
I just looked inside http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip
"boot floppy", and a 3.5" 1.44M floppy. My floppy has 1457664 total bytes, 2847
512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded image
would not fit here either.
-- "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

perditionc
On Mar 23, 2017 9:32 PM, "Dennis Fenton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
1.44 floppy.

What program are you using to write the image to your floppy?   Boot images cannot be copied using copy, they must be written with a program like rawwrite or dd.  Does it give an explicit error code or just a message about insufficient space?

Thank you,
Jeremy

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Gregg Eshelman
It is possible to format a floppy a bit over size. Most drives will accommodate 2 to 4 extra tracks. Depending on the drive and the controller it's possible to alter the number of sectors per track, but all tracks must have the same number of sectors. Typically, altering the number of sectors renders the format non-bootable.

Schenk & Horn CopyStar is one such program. It's old, originally from 1994, but it's known to work on Windows 2000, Server 2003 and older. I've not tried it on XP and later. Probably not compatible with 64 bit Windows. http://www.programfiles.com/Default.asp?LinkId=13681

Microsoft used an over-capacity format they called DMF. For programs (like Windows 95) where the first disk had to be bootable it was standard 1.44M.

IBM used a different over-capacity format for OS/2's install disks, but nothing included with OS/2 could write data to the disks, despite the inclusion of a utility to create blank disks with that format. (The largest all floppy install I ever did was OS/2 Warp 3.0, followed by a couple of large updates.)

If only the entire OEM computer industry had wholeheartedly adopted the 2.88M floppy, instead of only IBM and Compaq sorta halfway supporting it. "Hey look! We're making 2.88M floppy drives standard on ALL our computers! How about YOU, Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell, Gateway 2000... *Apple*? You wanna fall behind us? Keep using that obsolete 1.44M!"

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:56 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just looked inside http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip
> "boot floppy", and a 3.5" 1.44M floppy. My floppy has 1457664 total bytes, 2847
> 512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded image
> would not fit here either.

I downloaded the above (FD12FLOPPY.zip) and two of my own images
(BARE_DOS and MetaDOS). All of them have the same size (1474560). A
simple "file *.img" tells me that they all have 2880 sectors. I've
written a few real floppies in recent years with some of these and had
no obvious problems.

The obvious tool to use, among a million others variations, would be DISKCOPY:

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/diskcopy.htm

(Here's some alternatives.)

https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/35297505/

> -- "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

So, just for completeness, (direct or indirect) links to a bunch of
(Free)DOS floppy images are found below here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/35557316/

Keep in mind that a 1.44 MB floppy doesn't hold many files (e.g. a
full FD "BASE" won't fit) and isn't actively used by most users
anymore (even in FreeDOS circles). Heck, floppies aren't even made
anymore, and most modern x86 machines lack the drives (although you
can probably still buy a USB floppy drive like I did). Thus it's
somewhat ignored in favor of newer, more popular media. So there is no
"full" install via floppy, thus you must figure things out manually
(for the most part). Networking (using a working packet driver) helps
tremendously. Otherwise you're stuck with copying manually
(sneakernet).

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Jerome Shidel
A 1.44MB 3.5” DS HD floppy disk is 1,474,560 bytes when formatted. (2MB unformatted)

It used 512 byte sectors, 18 sectors per track, 80 tracks per side and is/was a two sided media.

512 * 18 * 80 * 2 = 1474560 / 1024 = 1.44MB floppy.

More information on this can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_floppy_disk_formats

Also, on Mac, Unix and Linux dd will write the disk image fine with a command like:

sudo dd if=FD12FLOPPY.img of=/dev/fd0

(or similar)

As a side note, PC-DOS 7 used oddly formatted diskettes for its install media. These provided a capacity lager than 1.44MB on its 3.5” install media. This was good to reduce the number of diskettes required. But, it made it more difficult to clone the original floppy disks for backup purposes. Also, it was not 100% compatible with all floppy drives and could cause other headaches as well.

Jerome

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 11:56 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just looked inside http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip
> "boot floppy", and a 3.5" 1.44M floppy. My floppy has 1457664 total bytes, 2847
> 512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded image
> would not fit here either.

I see where the confusion may be coming from.

After formatting a floppy image using FreeDOS, it states:

1,474,560 bytes total disk space (disk size)
1,456,664 bytes available on disk (free clusters)

It would appear that the number 1457664 is the usable empty free space on the disk once it has been low level formatted and then formatted with the standard DOS file system. So, you probably do have a correct sized floppy diskette. However, you will need to use the appropriate tool to place the floppy image file onto the diskette. Other messages in this thread mention programs like rawrite & dd. These all work very well for this task.

Jerome

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
Exactly

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
I was just trying to simply copy it. I get an insufficient space message.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
Thanks. I'll try diskcopy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.

Hi,

> [...]

> 512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded image
> would not fit here either.

I see where the confusion may be coming from.

After formatting a floppy image using FreeDOS, it states:

1,474,560 bytes total disk space (disk size)
1,456,664 bytes available on disk (free clusters)

It would appear that the number 1457664 is the usable empty free space on the disk once it has been low level formatted and then formatted with the standard DOS file system. So, you probably do have a correct sized floppy diskette. However, you will need to use the appropriate tool to place the floppy image file onto the diskette. Other messages in this thread mention programs like rawrite & dd. These all work very well for this task.

Jerome

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Hi Felix and Dennis,

> I just looked inside http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip
> "boot floppy", and a 3.5" 1.44M floppy. My floppy has 1457664 total bytes, 2847
> 512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded image
> would not fit here either.

That is a misunderstanding. The FLOPPY really is 80 tracks, 2 sides,
18 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector: 1474560 bytes is correct.

However, if you want to put a FILE on a floppy, then the maximum
size for the FILE is less, because some space is used by the FAT
filesystem. So 1457664 is the size left for you to put files on.

This is why the boot floppy disk image has to be copied with some
special tools (Linux: dd, DOS: diskcopy, Windows: ..., Mac: ...)
which copy contents, filesystem, boot sector etc. all at once.

This also is why you do not see files IN that single image file
in FD12FLOPPY.zip: You would have to "open" the file as a FAT
filesystem to see the files that you will later see on your disk
after putting the diskimage as a whole on the floppy.

If we would offer the files separately in the ZIP, you would be
able to see and edit them at once, which is good, BUT you would
need a separate tool to install a boot sector to make it bootable,
which is inconvenient, because SYS is only available for DOS and
similar tools for other OS (like makebootfat or sys-freedos.pl
for Linux) would need specific command line options to produce
optimized DOS boot sectors.

Regards, Eric

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Ralf Quint
On 3/24/2017 5:42 AM, Dennis Fenton wrote:
I was just trying to simply copy it. I get an insufficient space message.
That is to be expected.

A disk image is exactly that, a sector by sector image of EVERY sector on the disk. That includes those of the boot sector (includes the BPB-BIOS Paramter Block),  14 sectors for the root directory and 18 sectors for the two copies of FAT12. Those 33 sectors leave on a formatted 1.44MB floppy disk 2847 sectors (out of 2880 sectors of an unformatted disk).

To write a floppy disk IMAGE to a floppy, you need a program that writes that image SECTOR FOR SECTOR back to the disk, not as a single file as you have tried.

On Unix/Linux systems, the easiest way to achive that is to use the "dd" command or WinRaWrite on a Windows system (or rawrite if you have another DOS only system). I personally used for probably more than two decades by now a Shareware program called WinImage, which also does works nicely to create quickly images from floppy disks or CD-ROMs...

Ralf

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
I see.

On 3/23/2017 9:47 PM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but all that is irrelevant to the problem at hand. He tried to copy an image file, that includes the file system as a single file onto a floppy disk that already contained a file system. He needed to use a program that write that image file sector by sector onto a floppy disk. And that way it will fit perfectly, no overformatting needed...

If only the entire OEM computer industry had wholeheartedly adopted the 2.88M floppy, instead of only IBM and Compaq sorta halfway supporting it. "Hey look! We're making 2.88M floppy drives standard on ALL our computers! How about YOU, Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell, Gateway 2000... *Apple*? You wanna fall behind us? Keep using that obsolete 1.44M!"
The problem with the general adaptation of 2.88MB floppy disks was that those drives did have compatibility issues with reliably reading and more so, WRITING 1.44MB disks...

Ralf

123